Spooks Forum
What other TV do you watch? (2) - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+---- Forum: TV (/forum-32.html)
+---- Thread: What other TV do you watch? (2) (/thread-1056.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - A Cousin - 18-11-2010 03:41 PM

(17-11-2010 09:04 PM)nicky_84 Wrote:  Merlin is shown in america? wow i'm impressed. The guy who plays merlin is from Northern Ireland.

Yup - we do! My kids love it. It doesn't play on BBC America though so it took me a bit to figure out from whence it came.

Lets see, my current TV viewing habits are:

Local News
National News
BBC World News
Jeopardy
The Simpsons
Top Gear (S15 just ended for us. One word: Reliant. We laughed so hard we cried!)
Dr Who (when its on)
Being Human (S1 just ended on BBC America)
Nova
History Detectives
New Tricks
Secrets of the Dead
Soundstage
Austin City Limits
Storytellers
Graham Norton (He makes me pee my pants with laughter every show!)
Music Festivals (Glastonbury, Hard Rock Calling and Isle of Wight have been on a lot lately)
Rachel Maddow
The Daily Show
Sherlock

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - JHyde - 23-11-2010 09:41 AM

I've finally got around to watching 'The Good Wife' and am almost through what's available until this point. It's fairly standard in terms of the legal stories it presents, but I love Josh Charles. How the hell he's been mostly out of work the last 10 years I cannot fathom. It's also looking up with Alan Cumming joining the regular cast. The regular guest stars, especially those playing judges, are also pretty good, so it's enjoyable entertainment.

I also like the choice of Chris Noth for his character. He's great at playing characters who could be shades of grey, not one way or the other, and Julianna Margulies is always good value.

I still have no idea how Archie Panjabi won her Emmy. She is great and her character very likeable, but it is nothing of a performance when compared to Rose Byrne or Elisabeth Moss.

I'm also with A Cousin in that I love the Daily Show. I am an even bigger devotee of The Colbert Report.

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - bertowud - 23-11-2010 01:53 PM

Watched Sherlock on PBS over the last few weeks and it's a wonderful thing! I love it. It was only slightly distracting having Arthur Dent hanging with Sherlock Holmes.

Walking Dead is another new favorite. Zombies!

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - A Cousin - 23-11-2010 02:17 PM

(23-11-2010 01:53 PM)bertowud Wrote:  Watched Sherlock on PBS over the last few weeks and it's a wonderful thing! I love it. It was only slightly distracting having Arthur Dent hanging with Sherlock Holmes.

The Hitchhiker's connection is how I got my nine year old involved in it. Same kid who has watched selected Spooks episodes with me too. My husband is a Sherlock purist so is a bit put off by the production choices, but the son and I have been enjoying it. In fact, I have been letting him stay up late to watch it in the hopes that I can find some juvenile reader Sherlock Holmes books as a next step.

Besides, it is just fun to say: Benedict Cumberbatch! Tongue

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - BravoNine - 23-11-2010 02:22 PM

(23-11-2010 02:17 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  
(23-11-2010 01:53 PM)bertowud Wrote:  Watched Sherlock on PBS over the last few weeks and it's a wonderful thing! I love it. It was only slightly distracting having Arthur Dent hanging with Sherlock Holmes.

The Hitchhiker's connection is how I got my nine year old involved in it. Same kid who has watched selected Spooks episodes with me too. My husband is a Sherlock purist so is a bit put off by the production choices, but the son and I have been enjoying it. In fact, I have been letting him stay up late to watch it in the hopes that I can find some juvenile reader Sherlock Holmes books as a next step.

Besides, it is just fun to say: Benedict Cumberbatch! Tongue

I've always been a big fan of the Holmes books, read them all when I was a kid, but I see no reason why there can't be changes or modifications, and I'm certainly not gonna let that ruin my enjoyment of the great chemistry between Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch. I find the show to be enlightening, smart, and entertaining.

I think your husband is losing out on a great show by allowing his Sherlock purist thoughts prevent him from trying out new ideas. Hope he comes around soon.Smile

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - HellsBells - 23-11-2010 04:02 PM

I really wanted to hate this show, being a bit of a purist, you can't remake Sherlock Holmes. But it was brilliant, I loved it. The chemistry worked well between the characters, and it was very watchable.

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - BravoNine - 23-11-2010 04:06 PM

(23-11-2010 04:02 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  I really wanted to hate this show, being a bit of a purist, you can't remake Sherlock Holmes. But it was brilliant, I loved it. The chemistry worked well between the characters, and it was very watchable.

I guess I never really understood the purists, for me, I am open to any change as long as they stay true to the spirits of the original, and from I have seen, they have indeed stayed true to the spirit of the original and added their own unique twist and spin, not to mention the chemistry is so perfect that I find myself just drawn into the characters.

For me it's just perfect! Wink

I've even made my Sherlock/John vid because I couldn't help how much I LOVE this show!

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - almh - 23-11-2010 08:42 PM

Sherlock is definitely one of those shows that I don't want to miss! The writing is normally amazing, as is the acting (I only recently saw the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, so had no problem with Martin Freeman Wink)

Recently I've been trying to watch more period/novel-based dramas (purely because I've been avoiding these genres like the plague ever since I've been forced to read them for English). So far I've caught North and South (with Richard Armitage! So, of course it was amazing Wink) and I've just finished watching Small Island. Anyone have any suggestions for any more? I meant to catch Blood and Oil, is it any good?

Also, when I was trying to find some good Physics dramas (yes, such a thing do exist) I found Hawking, starring Benedict Cumberbatch <3, and Einstein and Eddington, starring David Tennant and Andy Serkis. Both are amazing, and beautifully acted, and even though I watched them primarily to have some 'fun' whilst trying to improve my Physics (FYI I'm applying for Physics at uni, in case you didn't know, and this looks a bit odd), I would still recommend that other people watch them Smile

Anyway, so yes, apart from that (and Doctor Who and Spooks) all I really watch are educational programs now :/. I seem to spend too much time on BBC iPlayer watching television shows like Horizon, and Brian Cox's latest television series on Physics...

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Naivety - 23-11-2010 10:50 PM

I loved Sherlock when it was on over here. At the moment my highlight of the week is Garrow's Law, I really enjoy this. Do you get to see this on the other side of the Atlantic?

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - BravoNine - 23-11-2010 11:08 PM

(23-11-2010 10:50 PM)Naivety Wrote:  I loved Sherlock when it was on over here. At the moment my highlight of the week is Garrow's Law, I really enjoy this. Do you get to see this on the other side of the Atlantic?

Can't say I've heard of it, but then again, American television networks don't normally air shows originating from other countries much since the fall TV season is when each networks whips out their strong fall line-up. Shows from outside of the states usually ends up on channels like BBC America, or PBS, or they air on major networks at very obscure times.

I mostly watch the CBS network in the US, they are the leading TV network in the states and pretty dominates the crime drama genre with their multiple crime drama franchises.