Spooks Forum
What other TV do you watch? (2) - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+---- Forum: TV (/forum-32.html)
+---- Thread: What other TV do you watch? (2) (/thread-1056.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Aria - 10-02-2011 09:18 AM

(09-02-2011 02:43 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  Did anyone watch 'Outcasts' starring Hermione Norris? Not convinced by the planet being some other world, it still looked like South Africa to me. And HN was just being Ros in a different place. Must admit I was not overly impressed by it but will watch it again to see if it improves.

I am struggling with it, even though I desperately want to like it. We need more prime time sci-fi. I think personally that it would have been more engaging if they'd started the show with them settling on the planet with all the struggles that would have entailed, rather than the oblique references to what they had to do.

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Ezio - 14-02-2011 12:50 AM

Doctor Who and Being Human... got into Sherlock Holmes a bit, although it was a short-lived show... I'll watch when it comes back though.

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - JHyde - 14-02-2011 09:20 AM

I just watched the 'Mr Sunshine' pilot and it was terrific. Matt Perry might finally have found a proper vehicle for his talents, just by writing it for himself. It's wonderful to see Allison Janney doing comedy on TV, she turns a joke so well and the pilot was directed by Tommy Schlamme, so it's all Sorkin's kids together it seems.

I'll definitely be coming back for more.

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - lottanyman - 14-02-2011 10:20 AM

I just happened to stumble across an article about "Mr. Sunshine" which gave the pilot quite a good review.
While I seriously doubt that this will be shown on TV here (or it may be but only in a distant future…) I would really like to watch this and am quite happy for Matthew Perry that there’s finally something showing some potential again as after Friends nothing he did could quite live up to his earlier success.

Actually I think none of the Friends actors has found anything as successful at least over a longer time and they all had to downgrade a bit, well and also for Mr. Sunshine you just have to wait and see how this really develops…

On a related note I’ve watched Episodes with Matt LeBlanc and I think it has its funny moments although I’m not really convinced. Maybe a little bit too much Brit-American stereotypes and I find the fact that Matt LeBlanc is playing himself somewhat strange…

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - JHyde - 14-02-2011 11:16 AM

I think Perry's had glimpses of success with various things but this has a serious shot at succeeding.

Cougartown is doing pretty well for Courtney Cox (I still haven't seen any of it, I'm worried Bill Lawrence's stuff can't be better than Scrubs) and Aniston has done a couple of good films (Friends With Money, The Break Up), as well as her guest spot on 30 Rock. Kudrow is producing some really good stuff and was in the wonderful 'Easy A' last year. So they're not all making arses out of themselves. Nothing they ever do will have the colossal success/paycheck as Friends but some of them are doing stuff that is actually more credible than their sitcom ever was.

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - lottanyman - 14-02-2011 11:37 AM

Jennifer Aniston has had a guest role in 30 Rock? Didn’t know that, as always TV here is light years behind (same with Spooks actually). I feel they are showing the first two series of 30 Rock over and over again and are not moving forward.
And yes you’re right regarding the former Friends cast. I know David Schwimmer made some good stuff and Jennifer Aniston did too of course. (Although one might assume she’s stayed in the spotlight for some other reasons too…)
However I still think especially Matthew Perry and Matt LeBlanc have delivered some dodgy stuff in the last years and maybe that’s because they were the ones that were kind of typecast to some Joey or Chandler roles which of course couldn’t live up to the expectations.
I tried to watch Cougartown but I only hopped in somewhere in the middle and it didn’t grip me and wasn’t really my thing so I can’t say anything about this.

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Naivety - 15-02-2011 06:59 AM

Is it just me, or was Outcasts a bit better last night?

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - HellsBells - 15-02-2011 02:48 PM

I agree Naivety, it did feel better. But what is a 'White-out' really? I find myself being irritated by the lack of explanation, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of science behind the series. Have the Outcasts been on the the planet for 10 years already?(not sure where I got that idea from) If so they haven't actually done a lot have they? Still sticking with it for now.

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Tea Lady - 15-02-2011 08:59 PM

(15-02-2011 02:48 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  I agree Naivety, it did feel better. But what is a 'White-out' really? I find myself being irritated by the lack of explanation, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of science behind the series. Have the Outcasts been on the the planet for 10 years already?(not sure where I got that idea from) If so they haven't actually done a lot have they? Still sticking with it for now.

Yes, I'm still sticking with it but I find my mind wandering and thinking about what I will have for tomorrow night's dinner. Not a good sign. It was a little better last night but if that was the episode we were all waiting for to get hooked, then the TV bloggers were mistaken. I am starting to get a little worried for Kudos. It won't get a second series at this rate. Overnight figures were only 2.9 million for Monday's episode. I know you have to stick another few hundred thousand on for people that have taped it, but that still only makes it around the 3 million mark. It won't make it at this rate.

RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Aria - 16-02-2011 02:28 PM

(15-02-2011 08:59 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I am starting to get a little worried for Kudos. It won't get a second series at this rate. Overnight figures were only 2.9 million for Monday's episode. I know you have to stick another few hundred thousand on for people that have taped it, but that still only makes it around the 3 million mark. It won't make it at this rate.

You may be right, TL. Outcasts set to move to a late night Sunday slot after next week.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a304119/bbc-moves-outcasts-to-sunday-slot.html