Spooks Forum
ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! (/thread-1084.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! - Sporadico - 13-08-2010 12:04 AM

Apologies if already posted somewhere, but couldn't see it...

ABC have signed a deal with Kudos to remake Spooks in the US!

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/abc-to-adapt-british-spy-drama-mi-5/

What do you think? I feel that us Brits can get a bit over-protective of our fave shows getting remade... if it's rubbish, so what, we've still got the wonderful original. If it's great... then great!

RE: ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! - TygerBright - 13-08-2010 12:26 AM

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Cousins, will you ever learn?!? Red Dwarf, Touching Evil, Life on Mars, LITTLE BRITAIN......!?!?
Some things are better left alone...

Thanks for the alert though, Sporadico. I'll keep my eyes closed Big Grin

RE: ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! - Nia M - 13-08-2010 12:30 AM

Sad

That's basically all I have to say.

(Cast dependent, I'll give it a go, but it will never beat home-grown British born and bred Spooks)

RE: ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! - Sporadico - 13-08-2010 12:43 AM

Agreed Nia - how could it? A key part of why Spooks is so good is its Britishness... the wit, the pithy and literate dialogue... of course we have guns and rushing about and preposterous twists like any thriller/action show, but it's always done with a uniquely Brit panache!!!!!

So I'm excited about this news. If the US version is pants, I really don't see it how devalues our beloved original (though I know a lot of fans feel differently - and I'd love to hear why). And of course the US version will, MUST be different, because it simply CAN'T be uniquely British. So I look forward to seeing how they try and capture some Spooks magic whilst transplanting it to the US. And if they fail utterly - it's no skin off (Lucas's impeccably aquiline) nose... :-)

RE: ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! - lwhite53 - 13-08-2010 01:16 AM

This is an unexpected development. I strongly agree that one of the hallmarks of spooks is its Britishness; that's what defines the show, imo. I don't know how that could possibly translate into the American market. And if the core characters are American, that's even worse -- then it becomes an American spy drama, which has proved in the past to be a big ho hum.

I can't imagine that Kudos would dilute one of its standard bearers in this way. I can only assume that the money was waaaay too good to pass up but sometimes you do have to choose art over money.

Edit: Oh yeah, also forgot that without Peter Firth as SHP there is no spooks (as Nitrus is fond of saying).

RE: ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! - JHyde - 13-08-2010 04:45 AM

I think that the US develops its own very good, original drama when it wants to so I'm curious as to why they want to poach this. American dramas right now are really plentiful and very good quality and not all of them are pay TV projects either.

Also, how will they be developing it? Is it still about MI-5 or will it be about the CIA or FBI? I'm confused as to what exactly they plan to do with the format.

RE: ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! - Skully - 13-08-2010 05:11 AM

Dislike!

RE: ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! - Nia M - 13-08-2010 08:44 AM

Another article here

Quote:Spooks is known for it's incredibly smart dialogue and hardcore depiction of the lives of spies. Comparisons to Alias and 24 are not welcome - this is a program that shows what the daily hardships and dangerous missions of real intelligence operatives are like. A glamorous, "Americanized" makeover will turn off fans of the original and could sink ABC's version before it even gets started.
Completely agree.

RE: ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! - Kazters - 13-08-2010 09:35 AM

think is spooks is very brittish! if the remake it anmerican style it will loose some of its heart i think. i mean the storys will be backward and i assume it will be cia not mi5!

either way i have no faith in this at all!

RE: ABC to remake Spooks in the USA! - Tea Lady - 13-08-2010 09:45 AM

I agree that it won't work but on the other hand I do not blame Kudos for signing on the dotted line. If the money they will receive helps keeps Spooks UK being made, then that's fine with me. Art over money is all well and good but Kudos have said several times this year that they are struggling with funding for their TV shows. Sometimes you have to dance with the devil.