Spooks Forum
Series 9 Episode 1 discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 9 (/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Series 9 Episode 1 discussion (/thread-1165.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Series 9 Episode 1 discussion - BravoNine - 21-09-2010 05:40 AM

(21-09-2010 05:32 AM)Silktie Wrote:  So Lucas is really a John? Interesting. I wonder if Vaughn really had a stroke or if he's just pretending? And whatever could be in that suitcase?

If there was one thing I had to gripe about it's the choice of the name "John", yes it's a wonderful name, but maybe they can come up with something a bit more original than "John"?

I mean, next thing we'll find out that Lucas's name is really John Smith...Dodgy

(21-09-2010 05:32 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Poor Harry. It's a bloody wonder he hasn't had a breakdown before now, with everything he's been through. I really liked his line of not wanting to feel like he's covered in blood all the time anymore. I think it's very telling. It'll be interesting to see if the writers continue with this storyline for Harry, or whether he's gotten it out of his system now. He still seemed very unsettled in that last scene with Ruth, so maybe it will continue.

Makes me wonder this whole thing with Lucas's past coming out, how will it effect Harry? I mean, he's lost a constant stream of his agents, especially now with Ros, if he should somehow loose Lucas, what would that do to Harry's psyche? I can't see a very happy bright future....

I certainly hope they won't kill Lucas for Harry's sake, there's only so much the poor man can take before he snaps. Lucas may just be the straw that broke the camel's back. I mean, despite the hesitancy to trust each other, I do believe that Lucas and Harry do mean a lot to each other than either dares to admit.

--------

One thing that I do wanna mention is how much I love the Spooks opening credits! It's probably the only opening credit that I know that constantly updates and changes on time with each characters' departure. And I notice this series opening's colors seems to have changed a bit, it seems more green-ish, and the last scene seems to be the same from the series 8 opening. Nice that Spooks doesn't just add a character into the opening credits until they actually are part of the team/made appearance. Makes it that much more exciting!

RE: Series 9 Episode 1 discussion - Tea Lady - 21-09-2010 07:49 AM

(21-09-2010 05:40 AM)BravoNine Wrote:  One thing that I do wanna mention is how much I love the Spooks opening credits! It's probably the only opening credit that I know that constantly updates and changes on time with each characters' departure. And I notice this series opening's colors seems to have changed a bit, it seems more green-ish, and the last scene seems to be the same from the series 8 opening. Nice that Spooks doesn't just add a character into the opening credits until they actually are part of the team/made appearance. Makes it that much more exciting!

There are a couple of scenes which remain from last year, yes the Harry drinking whiskey scene at the end, but also some shots of London and from 8.1 where Ronnie meets Libby. Maybe they will change as the series progresses.

RE: Series 9 Episode 1 discussion - rbs89 - 21-09-2010 08:06 AM

(21-09-2010 05:38 AM)Adam Carter Wrote:  Fantastic opener. Such a promising start to the season. A few things of note:

I thought it was refreshingly realistic to see the deaths starting to take their toll on Harry. With all of the officers who have come and gone, you finally got to see Harry reflect on the sheer body count that's built up around him. Double points for this being sparked by Ros's death, specifically. I really think Harry saw Ros as something of a daughter.

I'm not totally convinced that Harry would choose this moment to have a personal crisis- I felt it was kind of contrived, and the characters are all moving in different directions, and I don't feel as though the team are particularly unified.

there's the tension between H and Ru (the proposal to me felt totally random and not well thought through- i don't think it was necessary to indicate that Harry was having doubts about what he's doing anymore). And i think by the time Harry is assassinating the ex-HS, it was kind of obvious that Harry wouldn't be leaving the Grid just yet.

As for Lucus is being visited by his past (and I'm not absolutely convinced that Vaughn's had a stroke either)... i really don't want Lucas to be the traitor, and i think it'd be premature to say that he is one thing or another... As to being John, definitely hope his last name isn't Smith.

As to Beth, I'm curious to see how she functions on the Grid and the type of reactions she'll get, having her history in the private sector and all.

And the new HS... I like his snide remark about Harry's political leanings, to which he responds that he has concerns greater than politics.

My mistake about characters moving in different directions- there's Tariq doing his thing and not moving at all. I hope that as we see more of Dmitri we'll learn more about him.

Overall, however, I thought it was a brilliant start, particularly after s8. can't wait for next week!!

RE: Series 9 Episode 1 discussion - BravoNine - 21-09-2010 08:14 AM

I do have to say that Lucas's storyline definitely has me completely intrigued, not that I wasn't intrigued before, but just seeing Lucas's reaction to Vaughn, it was really unsettling. Lucas is not one to normally show that much reaction, not even when he faced Oleg Dasharvain, but this is the first time I've seen sheer terror playing across Lucas's face during an entire confrontation. Clearly this is something that's bigger than anything we've come across with Lucas.

I think this series is about the characters finding their footings again after losing Ros, her death's left a pretty big hole, with new people coming in and no one knowing who to really trust, it's bound to cause trouble within the ranks. I too hope Lucas isn't the traitor, that would just be another blow dealt to Harry and frankly, I don't know if Harry is gonna be able to take another hit.

On that note, something about Ruth is setting off warning bells for me. I don't know what but she just seems different, and her speech to Harry seems off. I sure hope Ruth isn't the ultimate betrayal either.

RE: Series 9 Episode 1 discussion - Skully - 21-09-2010 08:30 AM

(21-09-2010 08:14 AM)BravoNine Wrote:  On that note, something about Ruth is setting off warning bells for me. I don't know what but she just seems different, and her speech to Harry seems off. I sure hope Ruth isn't the ultimate betrayal either.

Oh gosh BravoNine, it never occurred to me to question Ruth! I guess after Nicholas Blake, anything is possible. Trust no-one!

RE: Series 9 Episode 1 discussion - Tigerwolf - 21-09-2010 09:05 AM

Loved the start of the new series, and cant wait for the rest of it.

RE: Series 9 Episode 1 discussion - molecatcher - 21-09-2010 09:44 AM

Wow, that's more like it; a brilliant start to the new series. My heart sank in the first few minutes when H proposed but should have had more faith in the writers not to go down a sloppy happy ending route. My impression was that it was George's death that made R say no when she said something about H's recent decisions changing her mind about marrying him. H beginning to unravel was played superbly and I found it quite heartbreaking that he can't set himself free from his destiny. PF definitely gone up a notch if that's possible, along with the writers.

The scenes on the boat were graphic and shocking but realistic. Had me holding my breath. I'll miss Ros but good old Kudos seem to have found some great replacements.

Lucas/John or whoever is so much more of a rounded character now he's not playing a lovesick wimp and the fascinating last scene when he showed such fear had me feeling real concern for him for the first time.

I know it's only the first episode but it was just so enthralling I've a feeling we'll all be gripped throughout this series and my only bummer was the dvd recorder packed up halfway through so I don't have a copy to revisit. The air was blue I can tell you!

RE: Series 9 Episode 1 discussion - JHyde - 21-09-2010 09:47 AM

Fantastic opening episode. Lots of hark backs to earlier seasons with various things. I think moving most of the action onto the boat was a great move, it really opened up the episode and made it less claustrophobic.

Beth and Dimitri both got great write ins, very happy about that. As Silktie said, it feels like a team this year. I totally dug Beth, my favourite bit being how she bluffed her way into Thames House with Lucas' passwords. Dimitri has a real strength and integrity to him that I like.

How great was Tariq? Loved his outfit and his 'harnessing the power' line sounded like he was straight out of a Doctor Who script.

Laughed at Harry offering Ruth 'a turn about the garden'. How very Austen of him! I actually laughed a lot in this episode, more than I would usually, especially for a season opener.

And Skully might be right about Lucas being an anarchist after all! Skully, I'd link to your blog here, but for the life of me I can't find that damn post about Blake! Lucas story is promising.

I actually loved the HR in this episode. Ruth's speech felt very honest to me, possibly the most honest thing that has been said on the show since Harry telling the HS that 'we can never win the war on terror. Ever.' This had the same ring of truth, although I notice it seems to be bothering most of you. What she decided makes sense to me, she is not the same person she was three years ago. I had tipped that Ruth would say no, and I actually like how they played it out. I also loved that she said 'I will' to Harry asking her to tell Beth - she says 'I will' to work, doesn't she?! Still hoping there might be a happier resolution for them, but there was movement. There was no undercurrent of sexual tension, it was balls out. As Harry said, 'we move on from this'.

Peter was outstanding, even more than usual. Understated elegance, all the way.

The most interesting thing for me in this episode was what Nicholas Blake said to Harry about affecting change. It has always been a sore point with Harry that he can't really make much of a difference - it's one of the reasons he hands in his resignation. Remember Harry bemoaning that Five's motto is to preserve the status quo and nothing more? I have a feeling this is the backbone of Harry's storyline this season, how much of a change can one man or woman make? (Of course, we know he makes a tremendous difference.)

Also, his monologue about watching the bodies fall is pretty much what I've been saying for months about why keeping Harry alive on the show is smart and not just to keep Peter around. It is more affecting to have him alone, as time passes, losing his younger fellows to their respective ends.

RE: Series 9 Episode 1 discussion - Tea Lady - 21-09-2010 10:32 AM

(21-09-2010 09:47 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I had tipped that Ruth would say no, and I actually like how they played it out. I also loved that she said 'I will' to Harry asking her to tell Beth - she says 'I will' to work, doesn't she?! Still hoping there might be a happier resolution for them, but there was movement.

Peter was outstanding, even more than usual. Understated elegance, all the way.

The most interesting thing for me in this episode was what Nicholas Blake said to Harry about affecting change. It has always been a sore point with Harry that he can't really make much of a difference - it's one of the reasons he hands in his resignation. Remember Harry bemoaning that Five's motto is to preserve the status quo and nothing more?

Harry must know deep down that he makes a difference. Just look at all the successful ops he has been in charge of. Perhaps he is just having a hard time seeing it because of the bodies.

I also liked the scene where Lucas sent Beth away to get the phone. Lucas said that he would not take his eyes of his colleague. Maybe he regrets leaving Ros in the hotel and felt like he had let her down and maybe Harry also. Some of it might have been that he did not want the team to lose someone else, even a newbie that "fights sharks."

Interesting to note JHyde, that you still have hope for H/R. I guess Ruth is saying no to a conventional relationship as it just wouldn't work now. I guess that is not totally closing the door on an unconventional relationship, particularly because they are of a certain age.

Peter was wonderful. The writing really gave him something to get his teeth into. I hope that continues, because the show is the better for it.

Also, did anyone wonder if Kudos blew the budget in this episode? A cargo ship, computer graphics for the underwater scenes, a harrier jump jet, humvee etc

RE: Series 9 Episode 1 discussion - JHyde - 21-09-2010 10:38 AM

You did rather edit my comments there, TL. For now, I think HR is dead.

I forgot to say: I liked that there wasn't a last minute save. Harry had to choose the EMP. Nice change there.