Spooks Forum
What other TV do you watch? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: What other TV do you watch? (/thread-12.html)

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Beatriz - 20-11-2009 05:07 PM

So while studying for my second exam (yesterday they told us, it would be on January, Christmas stuying yay! Dodgy )
I currently following this series: Dexter (
Spoiler: show
the friendship with trinity is great!!
, House, The Big Bang Theory, How I met your mother?, Flashforward (I was very excited but not very fond of it now... let's see how it end...), Grey's Anatomy (sorry for that Tongue, I'm seriously thinking of stop watching it), SPOOKS (obviously) and State of Play (I've watched 3 episodes).

I watch one every day of the week (sometimes two, one of 20 min and one of 40 min Wink) and at the weekend either watch a movie or go out with my friends Smile

I have a long long long list of series I want to watch: Mad Men, The Shield, Dr Who, The Office.... I need help and a life too!!

RE: What other TV do you watch? - bertowud - 20-11-2009 05:13 PM

Interesting choices, Beatriz.

I haven't actually watched Dexter after the first series (Wait! That's US TV. I can call them seasons.). It's good, I just keep forgetting when it's on and forget to program the DVR to record it. Even worse, it's On Demand from my cable provider most of the time.

People keep telling me I should watch The Big Bang Theory, and I keep not watching it. No reason really other than I'm a big comic book geek, so I don't really need to see what comic book geeks lives are like.

Flash Forward looked interesting. I'll get to watching it eventually.

Ah, State of Play. I liked it. I really did. The pacing was a bit slow for my tastes.

Personally I like the UK version of The Office much better than the US version.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Nitrus - 20-11-2009 05:21 PM

UK Office FTW.

The Big Bang Theory is amazing!

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Beatriz - 20-11-2009 05:22 PM

This new season Wink of Dexter is great, better than the 3rd one IMO. (I love your new line, btw) The 2nd one is good too!!

The Big Bang Theory is good (Sheldom is a brilliant character), but I prefer The IT crowd Smile

About The Office, I'm mixed up now!! One friend of mine told me she prefer the US version... anyone else? *EDIT* So US 1 - UK 2
Then UK it is!!

RE: What other TV do you watch? - bertowud - 20-11-2009 05:29 PM

(20-11-2009 05:22 PM)Beatriz Wrote:  This new season Wink of Dexter is great, better than the 3rd one IMO. (I love your new line, btw) The 2nd one is good too!!

All credit for the title goes to JHyde.

(20-11-2009 05:22 PM)Beatriz Wrote:  About The Office, I'm mixed up now!! One friend of mine told me she prefer the US version... anyone else? *EDIT* So US 1 - UK 2
Then UK it is!!

It's really a matter of personal taste. I know quite a few people who like the UK version better than the first couple of seasons of the US one and the US one better for the last several seasons.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Beatriz - 23-11-2009 10:14 PM

Have you watched the Dexter's last episode? I've just finished watching it!!! This season is awesome!! Sorry for repeating myself but I'm shocked after this episode!! Tongue
Spoiler: show
Quinn's girlfriend is Trinity's "colleague"! She shot Lundy!! And love the relationship Dexter has with Trinity until now that he has discovered Trinity hasn't the perfect family as it appeared! And what about the neighbour? Angry

RE: What other TV do you watch? - bertowud - 23-11-2009 10:51 PM

Dexter is a really well done, really cool show. I just haven't sat down and made it past the first season yet.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 23-11-2009 11:59 PM

Damn, I didn't realize under Beatriz's spoiler tags was stuff about Dexter! Shoot.

I just love Michael C. Hall. He is so great, and can make me laugh or break down with the tiniest inflection or gesture. Really brave actor, who will probably never win awards because of the roles he takes on, but just gutsy as hell. So he's the main reason I watch Dexter. Their last two major guest stars have been so great though - John Lithgow and Jimmy Smits. I'd follow John Lithgow anywhere, and it's fantastic to see him doing drama on TV and film again. He hasn't done drama on film (either movies or TV) since the early 80s, just mainly on stage. I also really like Jennifer Carpenter, although she gets a bad rap from most of the press. I personally think she fits the character great, and isn't so much melodramatic as rather inappropriate in how she expresses emotion.

So yeah, I like Dexter too. Beatriz, you'll like Mad Men a lot as it's a slow burn, and the conversation doesn't move too quickly, so keeping up is easier than something like The West Wing or a half hour comedy.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - bertowud - 24-11-2009 12:04 AM

(23-11-2009 11:59 PM)JHyde Wrote:  So yeah, I like Dexter too. Beatriz, you'll like Mad Men a lot as it's a slow burn, and the conversation doesn't move too quickly, so keeping up is easier than something like The West Wing or a half hour comedy.

On West Wing. There are plenty of stories of actors trying to fit all of Sorkin's script into the time allotted. I think there was one scene they had 10 takes trying to make the dialog fit.

When they give him an hour long drama, he writes hour long scripts, then they have to shoot them to fit in the 45ish minutes allotted.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 24-11-2009 12:17 AM

The same thing used to happen sometimes on Sports Night.

Have I talked about Pushing Daisies with the very good looking Lee Pace? (He was also in a very fine movie Bharat Nalluri of Spooks fame directed called Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day. Exquisite film if you haven't seen it.) Great show, that probably deserved another season or two.

I want to talk about Weeds for a bit, as no-one here seems to know it. Elizabeth Perkins is nothing like you've ever seen her before, and it's so great to see Kevin Nealon on regular TV. Mary Louise Parker plays a very unlikeable character (the lead) and Justin Kirk her kinda dropkick but fantastic brother in law. Parker's character starts selling weed after her husband dies suddenly, and the show's been running on her illegal activities for 5 years. Very dark humour at times, but genuinely laugh out loud at least twice every episode.

Breaking Bad has a similar set-up and is also good, but patchy - I find it can veer into melodrama at times. But worth watching for Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul's performances.