Spooks Forum
What other TV do you watch? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: What other TV do you watch? (/thread-12.html)

RE: What other TV do you watch? - TygerBright - 07-01-2010 02:14 AM

Not too many Germans watching Sea Patrol (or CH) as it's not on telly over here. I stumbled upon it on the 'net..
I seem to remember that ways back I used to watch Water Rats which actually was on TV here, and I know that McLeod's Daughters has a huge following here but I guess 85% of the foreign TV shows we get here are American (US, that is.. unfortunately, because the Canadians make some great stuff too)
Never seen Love My Way, and only a few eps of Torchwood... although TW and Spooks are on here no, seasons 1 and 2 respectively.. better late than never.
I haven't owned a TV though for 3+ years, what I want to watch is not on it anyroads, so DVDs and internet are better options. Couldn't stand German synchronised versions either, spoils all the goodness.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - bertowud - 07-01-2010 02:45 AM

(07-01-2010 01:44 AM)TygerBright Wrote:  (sagittarius Wink)

Happy Belated Birthday!

(06-01-2010 10:27 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I have to say though that while I loved the Wire which I watched first, I hated the Shield which I watched after. The funny thing is that I know people who watched the Shield before the Wire and loved the Shield but couldnt get on with the Wire. I felt the Wire was an intelligent piece of TV while the Shield was a bit Cagney and Lacey for me. Also I couldnt get on with the supposed "hero." I watched 4 episodes and gave up.

I liked both The Wire and The Shield. I haven't watched the entirety of the Wire yet, but watched 3 seasons of The Shield in one week. And watched the rest as they were being broadcast and then again on DVD.

There was a hero on The Shield? I pretty much despise almost every character on the whole series. There are a few good ones though. I think Claudette is probably the only truly likable character on the whole show. Maybe Lem.
Spoiler: show
What a tragedy about Lem?

Another show I love, Leverage, has new episodes airing starting next Wednesday on TNT. Much like Burn Notice, it's almost a guilty pleasure.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - AdamCarter - 07-01-2010 08:37 AM

Essential viewing in our house (when the series are running) in no particular order.

Have I got News for You.
Doc Martin
Desparate Romantics
Survivours
The Kirstie Allsop show (aka Location, Location)
Hustle
Ashes to Ashes

Wink and perhaps one or two others.

John

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Tea Lady - 07-01-2010 09:44 AM

(07-01-2010 02:45 AM)bertowud Wrote:  There was a hero on The Shield? I pretty much despise almost every character on the whole series.

I think we were supposed to like the bald chap,
the one who shot the cop in the first episode, but I couldnt because of what he had done.
Was his name Mac?

RE: What other TV do you watch? - bertowud - 07-01-2010 09:56 AM

(07-01-2010 09:44 AM)Tea Lady Wrote:  
(07-01-2010 02:45 AM)bertowud Wrote:  There was a hero on The Shield? I pretty much despise almost every character on the whole series.

I think we were supposed to like the bold chap,
the one who shot the cop in the first episode, but I couldnt because of what he had done.
Was his name Mac?

Vic Mackey. Did you see the last episode of the series? I think it ended quite appropriately.

It's hard to believe the same guy played the Commish on the series The Commish 5 years previously.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Tea Lady - 07-01-2010 09:56 AM

(07-01-2010 01:15 AM)JHyde Wrote:  Love the West Wing. I'm doing a rewatch of that at the moment, which I haven't done for a long while. CJ Cregg is one of my heroes, fictional or otherwise, but I'm probably more like Toby.

Claudia Jean was a great creation. I wasn't so sure she suited the
Chief of Staff role though. She was more at home in front of the press. I loved the way it all came good for her in the end though and also Toby.

I think Sea Patrol is on SKY TV in the UK. I am sure I have seen a programme with some Australians running around in grey boiler suits chasing Indonesian fishermen. Actually that may be "nothing to declare."

I am a big fan of Kath and Kim though. Does Fountain Gates really exist?

(I cant believe I am talking about Sea Patrol and Kath and Kim in my 500th post. I will just quickly mention the lovely Harry Pearce then as a mark of respect.)
(07-01-2010 09:56 AM)bertowud Wrote:  Vic Mackey. Did you see the last episode of the series? I think it ended quite appropriately.

Yes Vic. No I only watched 4 episodes and gave up. Did he get
killed then?

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 07-01-2010 11:03 AM

There was a beautiful symmetry to how Toby's story ended.

Fountain Gates doesn't really exist but I'm sure Kath and Kim do. Maybe just with different names. I'm a big fan of Gina Riley, I reckon she has some of the best comic timing I've ever seen.

I always get The Wire and The Shield confused. I haven't seen either. The Wire's the one in Baltimore and The Shield is the one with Michael Chicklits (I'm pretty sure that's not his name) and Glenn Close, right?

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Tea Lady - 07-01-2010 12:22 PM

I am not sure if Glenn Close was in the Shield as I gave up on it quite quickly. Yes the Wire is set in Baltimore. I would go for the Wire everytime. You get the criminals point of view as well as the cops. Some were born bad but most had no hope and no choice. I dont think it did anything for tourism in Baltimore though. It looks a terrible place.

Kath and Kim has to be one of my favourites. I am sure they do exist. In the UK we would call them "chavs." The UK we have similar shows such as Benidorm and Gavin and Stacey. Both are hilarious but unfortunately show some truths about the state of our Country e.g. binge drinking, no aspiration.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 07-01-2010 12:27 PM

The Wire has always struck me as a show I want to watch but it finally hit our screens here only this year. I will get my hands on it at some point.

I thought it was a great 500th post, especially as you mentioned Harry!

RE: What other TV do you watch? - lwhite53 - 07-01-2010 05:13 PM

(07-01-2010 12:22 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Yes the Wire is set in Baltimore. I would go for the Wire everytime. You get the criminals point of view as well as the cops. Some were born bad but most had no hope and no choice. I dont think it did anything for tourism in Baltimore though. It looks a terrible place.

That happened many years before with "Homicide: Life on the Streets," another great ground-breaking series.

Actually Baltimore has a nice inner harbor area with museums, restaurants, shops, etc. It obviously has crime, too, but all major US cities have that!