Spooks Forum
What other TV do you watch? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: What other TV do you watch? (/thread-12.html)

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 31-03-2010 03:39 PM

Some seasons of 24 are really good, but you really do have to suspend belief with pretty much all of them. I loved Season 1, even though I had most of the picked, and thought it was the most exciting thing on TV that year. (Spooks didn't come to Australia until 2003.)

Tea Lady, try sticking with The Sopranos. It's not in my top five or six TV shows, but there is some superb stuff in there - writing, acting, directing. I think I might have had a few goes at it before I watched it properly. I think the third season is the best of that show.

I haven't watched any of Simon Baker's show. It's doing really well all over the world and I am very happy for that.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - bertowud - 31-03-2010 03:51 PM

And keep in mind 24 was released in the US in 2001. There really wasn't much like it when it came out. They've picked up the pace as it's progressed. I think it was Season 3 that I liked the most. I really wanted Season 6 to be about him
Spoiler: show
escaping from the Chinese prison.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Beatriz - 31-03-2010 05:17 PM

I've never seen 24, but I don't think I will in the inmediate future.
(31-03-2010 02:20 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I have purchased the complete Sopranos box set but have only watched 4 episodes so far and I have had it for a couple of months now. I havnt totally given up but it hasnt grabbed me like other people said it would.

If you keep with it, let me know what you think. I was thinking of starting a new series, and I don't know which one, I have many awaiting: Weeds, The Sopranos, Mad Men, The thick of it, Extras, The Office, The Prisoner (both)... I don't know where to begin!!

I started United States of Tara, yesterday, I saw 2 episodes and I really liked it Smile Let's see how it goes.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 31-03-2010 06:03 PM

Mad Men or Weeds, babe. Mad Men might be easier for you because they talk more slowly than on Weeds. And yay for Tara - I'm a big fan.

Breaking Bad has just started its third season. It's a good show, but I sometimes find it drifts into melodrama. But when it's good, it's excellent. I love Aaron Paul, who plays Jesse.

Damages is almost at the end of its third season and going great guns. It has to be the most topical drama going right now. The cast this season is the best I've seen put together since Six Feet Under. Flawless casting.

For those who might have drifted away, Grey's Anatomy has seriously picked up the pace. Heading into the final stretch of season 6, it has rarely been better. Grey's works best when the medical stories are brilliant and play parallel to the lives of the medical staff. It's had a couple of bad episodes this season, but also some that are amongst the show's best. I started watching it a few years back because of Sandra Oh and Chandra Wilson who are wonderful actresses, but there are plenty of others who also know their craft on this show. Better than people give it credit for.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Nitrus - 31-03-2010 06:05 PM

I like the sound of Mad Men, is it too late to get into it? Or would I have to start from season 1?

RE: What other TV do you watch? - YourFutureMuse - 31-03-2010 06:07 PM

Ooh I forgot about Mad Men - love that too Big Grin And I think you can prob get into it from whats showing atm.. I only catch on every couple of eps usually cause it is on so late! ( I know I could record it but I have such a bad memory!) I have never watched the first half of the first series but you soon get into it Big Grin

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 31-03-2010 06:09 PM

I'd recommend starting from season 1 as it builds on its own mythology. It's a slow burn of a show, don't expect it to be all guns blazing. But every season is better than the last.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Beatriz - 31-03-2010 07:51 PM

This is me, but I would never start a show in the middle of it if I can start from the very beginning, for me it's like you're missing something, I prefer to have all the knowledge available of the characters.

Mad Men it is, then!!

I still have in mind Love my way, but I still waiting for somebody to be so kind to write the subtitles... I know, that would never happen... So, I'm trying to improve my English so I can watch it without subtitles...

EDIT:Totally forgot to say, Damages is a brilliant show, it has a lot of twists and turns and a great cast!!

RE: What other TV do you watch? - fanofChristine - 31-03-2010 10:27 PM

Mad Men is really well crafted (the fashion, acting, writing, and characterization of the period are all great) but I stopped in season 2 as the show really depresses me. I'll probably watch again when I get a little older.

Yep, I think you really have to start from season 1 for a deeper understanding of the characters.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 01-04-2010 07:26 PM

It can distressing, I acknowledge and I've noticed that it is a show where people really identify with one character or another. It's really well put together and Matthew Weiner is one of those showrunners who really has a handle on the show as a whole.

What I find hilarious and irritating in equal measure is that people watch and say 'oh how wonderful it would have been to live in the 60s!' - as though the show is all sweetness and light. Believe me, if there's anything you get from this, it's that the 60s was not all good news. Which reminds me: it is another good reason why I should get my dad into it.