Spooks Forum
What other TV do you watch? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: What other TV do you watch? (/thread-12.html)

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 24-04-2010 03:42 AM

For a nice change, I am feeling very young.

Parenthood is great, guys. Get into it. (I mean the show, I can't speak for real life.)

RE: What other TV do you watch? - HellsBells - 24-04-2010 05:25 PM

Parenthood ? Never heard of that what is it about ?

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 25-04-2010 05:55 AM

It's based on the Steve Martin movie from long ago and the cast is *excellent*. I'm pretty sure it is showing somewhere in the UK by now although it's not actually out here in Australia yet.

It's about a family who all end up living back in the same place after a long time apart. It's nice to see a couple of cast members (like Peter Krause) come back to their comedy roots, as it's definitely a show that straddles both. I think it's one of those shows that will get better with seasons, as it's definitely getting better every episode.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - bertowud - 25-04-2010 03:22 PM

It's the second TV show to be based from that movie I believe. I think Ed Begley, Jr., was in the first series.

Not to deviate too far off topic, the original movie was filmed in the Orlando FL area. If you watch closely you'll notice the Florida tags when they go to the stadium. Also, if I remember correctly, there is a Florida Turnpike sign in one scene.

I haven't seen the new show though.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 25-04-2010 03:25 PM

I like the original movie but I haven't seen the Ed version - I love him, he's so cool.

People forget that Steve Martin is now entitled to make a lot of crappy movies because he actually made a string of really cool ones in the 70s and 80s. And he has made one really good one more recently, based on his own novella - Shopgirl is excellent.

OK, nothing entitles you to make crappy movies.

The point is, Parenthood is really good. United States of Tara has also really picked up again five episodes into the new season.

Now I just want to know when I can expect new Weeds! That has to start filming soon, surely.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - lwhite53 - 25-04-2010 04:37 PM

Allison Janney has just turned up in an occasional role on In Plain Sight (US tv show about the witness protection program) -- she's great!

RE: What other TV do you watch? - CONDOR - 25-04-2010 05:06 PM

I really liked Steve Martin in a "A Simple Twist of Fate" a modern adaptation of Silas Marner by George Elliot, as in this he played a more serious part than his usual roles, and was very moving. A far cry from The Man With Two Brains!Wink

RE: What other TV do you watch? - A Cousin - 25-04-2010 05:11 PM

I'll start becoming a part of this forum slowly and without reading anyone else's posts. Although I am looking forward to it!

Things we got on our very limited BBC America:

Dr Who
Top Gear
Graham Norton

On PBS:

History Detectives
Globe Trekker
Nova
Life on Mars (I went for Philip Glenister, but stayed for better reasons!)
New Tricks (Really for Alun Armstring, the husband likes this one particularly. I think he has a crush on Amanda Redman in retaliation for my crush on Peter Firth! lol!)

Other stations:

The Office (American version, but I love the UK version as well)
Glee
Simpsons
Family Guy
Later w/ Jools Holland

Just about any rock festival or live concert that I can get my eyes and ears on.

Peace.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Jhokur - 26-04-2010 03:38 AM

Top Gear on BBC America is neutered compared to the "real" show.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - CONDOR - 26-04-2010 06:21 AM

Just been introduced to "Outnumbered" what a very well observed program the children are brilliant in it