Spooks Forum
What other TV do you watch? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: What other TV do you watch? (/thread-12.html)

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Beatriz - 03-05-2010 04:18 PM

I've watched FlashForward until the halt they had, now they have started airing the series again but I didn't watch any new episodes... I think it's kind of boring, and honestly, I think there are other interesting series worth watching instead of FF... The writers were supposed to rethink the plot and improve the storyline...

Does anybody know anything about The IT crowd 4th season??

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Aria - 09-05-2010 05:40 AM

With the General Election and the result of a hung parliament and all the talk of behind the scenes political wheeling and dealing, reminds me of my favourite political drama, The House of Cards with the brilliant Ian Ricahardson. IR was sublime and and machiavellian in this role and in the subsequent sequels. His catchphrase "You might think so, but I couldn't possibly comment" was a masterstroke. I have never viewed politics in the same way since.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 10-05-2010 12:58 AM

I second that. I'm trying to find a way to pinch the copy I gave my dad a few years ago.

It's absolutely superb and has three parts. The second includes two other brilliant actors, Nicholas Farrell and Michael Kitchen, whom I know have fans here. The first two parts are the best, but only the first is based on the book. In fact the ending to part one is entirely the opposite of what happens in the book.

I first saw this at the age of 14 and have watched it every couple of years since then. It became a hit very quickly because it was being made or was airing just as Thatcher fell from power, which adds an extra dimension to the story. At the time the book was written, this was deemed impossible.

Ian Richardson is missed.

I finally got around to watching new Foyle's. Fantastic first episode to come back with - the scene Sam and Foyle share when he confronts her about the nude drawing is so funny. Nice to see Tim Pigott Smith on yet ANOTHER TV show. He's such a good actor.

I'm sure I've raved about Foyle's much earlier in this thread months ago. But I love about it (besides Michael Kitchen and the hilarious Sam/Foyle dynamic) is that it doesn't honeycoat what was a very difficult time. A lot of what the show has focused on has been the dark side of humanity during the war and small town communities - people didn't all just pull together the way our grandparents might like to tell us. Pity that Midsomer Murders is such a complete load of dross, this really is Anthony Horowitz's major work.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 20-05-2010 10:10 AM

I've just finished a re-watch of Six Feet Under and it is such an amazing show that I think will stand the test of time. It never won a huge bunch of awards because it ran during the same years as The Sopranos and The West Wing and for that reason I think actresses like Rachel Griffiths and Fran Conroy and the wonderful Michael C Hall missed out to shows and stars that were already winners and established audience faves. Plus, the content matter of the show is a lot harder to access than either of those two I have mentioned (both of which I really like).

I still think this is the best cast show I have ever watched. And one of the things you really notice on re-watching is that there are times when you wish certain actors had enjoyed more scenes together. Like, I really wish Hall and Griffiths had shared more scenes and also between Hall and the joyous Lauren Ambrose (who most recently was in Where The Wild Things Are).

Highly recommended if you've never seen it. It is dark and sad but totally worthwhile. And really rewards the loyal re-watcher.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - fanofChristine - 23-05-2010 03:22 AM

(03-05-2010 04:18 PM)Beatriz Wrote:  I've watched FlashForward until the halt they had, now they have started airing the series again but I didn't watch any new episodes... I think it's kind of boring, and honestly, I think there are other interesting series worth watching instead of FF... The writers were supposed to rethink the plot and improve the storyline...

I've finished watching until there. Same conclusion Big Grin Also saw 2 episodes after the break and it did get better (Simon's character became really interesting)... but yeah.

Just started on Breaking Bad. Should I continue? It has great acting and a really interesting premise.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - JHyde - 23-05-2010 06:23 AM

Breaking Bad is a good show. Personally, I think Weeds has a similar premise that it carries out more successfully. But BB can verge into melodrama, I find. There are some episodes that are not so great and then there are others that are some of the most gripping TV I've watched in the last few years.

Bryan Cranston is great and deserved his Emmy for Season one, maybe not as much for season 2. I am also a huge fan of Aaron Paul who plays Jesse and Dean Norris who plays Hank.

It's definitely worth watching, but I find that I like to watch each season like a marathon, rather than from week to week. They also do all the filming in Albuquerque, pretty much, and I think that adds a lot to the atmosphere of the piece. I like shows that aren't necessarily filmed in LA or New York/New Jersey.

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Tea Lady - 23-05-2010 08:16 AM

I am going to give Spartacus a go this week. Starts on Tuesday I think on Bravo. It sounds like it may be for over 18's though.

I am also currently watching V-2010 on Syfy, having watched the original series when I was a child.

I am also recording the re-runs of TJ Hooker on Quest. I still love that show. Blush

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Aria - 23-05-2010 08:45 AM

(23-05-2010 08:16 AM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I am also recording the re-runs of TJ Hooker on Quest. I still love that show. Blush

I had a huge crush on Adrian Zmed Blush and he's the only reason I watch Grease 2 Smile

RE: What other TV do you watch? - wildcatuk1969 - 23-05-2010 09:25 AM

i used to watch 'the professionals' loved those guys when i was a lot younger.
im into 'justified' on five us. timothy olyphant is brilliant as the us deputy, and its set in lexington, kentucky - my second home

RE: What other TV do you watch? - Tea Lady - 23-05-2010 10:35 AM

(23-05-2010 08:45 AM)Aria Wrote:  
(23-05-2010 08:16 AM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I am also recording the re-runs of TJ Hooker on Quest. I still love that show. Blush

I had a huge crush on Adrian Zmed Blush and he's the only reason I watch Grease 2 Smile

Ha ha, it was William Shatner for me. Older man crush even when I was about 8 years old !! Smile