Spooks Forum
Series 9 Episode 6 discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 9 (/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Series 9 Episode 6 discussion (/thread-1277.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Series 9 Episode 6 discussion - Carly - 26-10-2010 10:01 PM

^ Agree completely, Definitely One of my faves. Richard Armitage was BRILLIANT last night. Loved how Lucas asked 'Fakey Harry' what his favorite opera was. Thought that was a great touch, and you just knew Lucas was aware of the grid being comprimised. Awww, I loved it. Big Grin Big Grin

Away to melt into my pillows now Smile

RE: Series 9 Episode 6 discussion - NightOwl - 26-10-2010 10:11 PM

(26-10-2010 09:21 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  Hot damn -- this will certainly get added to my 10 favorite eps list!! Wonderful tension throughout, great "spy stuff" happening (R passing H the note, Tariq throwing the computer, Malcolm giving Lucas the wrong file -- with a smile and handshake, voice synthesis, Malcolm calling Lucas "John," etc, etc), and terrific music underscoring.

As people have already said, loved the lockdown scenario and the whole group (sans Lucas) having to work together to get out and foil the newest threat. My fav line of the ep: Dimitri's "I've just had a really terrible idea." I laughed out loud at the look on his face.

Lucas is getting more and more out of control. The morphing between the "Lucas" and "John" personnas is happening almost without his being aware of it (maybe he has multiple personality disorder) and Maya seems to be what triggers the reaction. I think the most telling episode is what ultimately happens to Danielle -- he resists the fake Harry's order to kill her and does his best to protect her until he discovers that she knows about the Albany file, and then he allows her to die. I do believe he cancelled the emergency call and relaxed the pressure on her wound so that she would bleed out -- the reason he did so was to protect himself and, ultimately, Maya. Whether or not she would have died anyway is immaterial -- he (John) compromised another person for the second time. Lucas is the one who's feeling the remorse.

I'm finding the testiness between Harry and Ruth over Lucas interesting - Harry obviously wants to trust Lucas and he appears to know more than he's letting on but he doesn't want to let Ruth into the knowledge loop. Don't know yet whether that's to protect Ruth, to protect Lucas, or if he suspects Ruth of something. The way the coming clips are set up, it appears that Harry is giving Lucas the spiel about loyalty and betrayal but . . . we don't necessarily know that that's the case.

And LOVED seeing Malcolm again!!

By way of a partial explanation for Lucas's actions, though, he doesn't know that she spied on him and must have overheard about Albany. He must assume that if she knows about it then she must be working with Vaughn or whoever Vaughn is working for. He does know that he can't reach Harry, but he doesn't know why or who is pretending to be Harry. Not saying it's his finest moment, but given the circumstances, I think it's possible he believed she was an enemy agent, and he wasn't motivated entirely by self-interest.

Are we supposed to believe that the Russians and Chinese were able to compromise MI-5 entirely on their own or did they have help from a mole?

RE: Series 9 Episode 6 discussion - saronno - 26-10-2010 11:34 PM

Finally !!!
This what I expect from this show.
Great, Thrilling, amazing, wonderful episode !!!

Ninth season had been disappointing until two days ago ... but... what to say

WOW !!

This is the best TV show ever !!!

PS: what's the name of the chinese chick?
I want to take one of her classes !! Yahoo

RE: Series 9 Episode 6 discussion - GrendelKhan - 27-10-2010 01:44 AM

I can't believe Lucas is going through all this for a woman.
C'mon son!

RE: Series 9 Episode 6 discussion - theeyeshaveit - 27-10-2010 02:22 AM

(26-10-2010 10:11 PM)NightOwl Wrote:  Are we supposed to believe that the Russians and Chinese were able to compromise MI-5 entirely on their own or did they have help from a mole?

Series 9 Spoiler: show
Unfortunately, I think there is a definite candidate if you think about others involved in this week's episode.

RE: Series 9 Episode 6 discussion - clamp - 27-10-2010 02:58 AM

I think this whole business is actually based on ruth herself...
Albany is about ruth coming back etc....0\\
Only my theory... dunno about john and micheal...

RE: Series 9 Episode 6 discussion - BravoNine - 27-10-2010 06:31 AM

(26-10-2010 10:11 PM)NightOwl Wrote:  By way of a partial explanation for Lucas's actions, though, he doesn't know that she spied on him and must have overheard about Albany. He must assume that if she knows about it then she must be working with Vaughn or whoever Vaughn is working for. He does know that he can't reach Harry, but he doesn't know why or who is pretending to be Harry. Not saying it's his finest moment, but given the circumstances, I think it's possible he believed she was an enemy agent, and he wasn't motivated entirely by self-interest.

I can't believe that I never thought of this myself, and I agree!!!

He doesn't know that she spied on him about Albany. When she spoke about not telling anyone about the Albany file, he could have just assumed that she is related to the whole Vaughn thing. And coupled with the situation happening on the Grid that he knew the Grid was compromised, he could have assumed that she was working with Vaughn or whoever is targeting the Grid. That makes a lot of sense, and it's very plausible considering Lucas's surprise at her mentioning Albany. So he could have let her die knowing he can't save her anyways, and the possibility that she may be an enemy, so in this way he can protect the Grid, Maya, and himself.

RE: Series 9 Episode 6 discussion - vmydogwillow - 27-10-2010 07:29 AM

This was really a great episode and finally moving the Lucas/Vaughn/Maya/Albany story along.

1. Great to have Malcolm back. Given the fact that he cleared out of the house, I think the "John" comment could have been an attempt to see how Lucas reacted.

How did Malcolm clear out of the house so fast? That place was packed! I initially suspected that Ruth helped him but the Grid was in lockdown so he would not have been able to call upon Ruth for help. Obviously, he was able to call someone and get help moving after evacuating the house. He could not have known how long he would have to respond before Lucas would come back.

2. Nice to see an actress that can do the American accent. The character of Danielle was great. She was able to figure Lucas out so quickly. I had to go back and watch again and he did fake the call for emergency services and he did release the pressure on her neck. Given her injury, it is doubtful that she would have lived but it is truly sad that he has gone far enough over the edge that he could not take the chance that she would be saved.

3. I guess Maya is a victim in this situation. She is involved with two men and she really has no idea who they are. I think that she would be horrified to know what they are doing. Vaughn and Danielle really sized Lucas up: he isn't a real person, he has no family, no friends, no interests and really no life. Vaughn is correct--he gave Lucas something because he had nothing at all. I think I finally understand why last season, when Sarah did not kill Lucas at her flat, he begged her to take him with her. This doesn't explain why Maya would be stupid enough to jump into a strange relationship with someone she hasn't seen in 15 years. Okay, so he is gorgeous and that is the only reason she didn't feel like he was stalking her.

4. I have always liked Ruth and I hope that her actions are noble. No one can truly say that it would be a suprise if Lucas betrayed the team & Harry even before we knew about John. There was always that question in the back of everyone's mind that the Russians had turned him or he was just angry over what happened. Ruth, on the other hand, has every reason to want to get her revenge. Harry allowed George to be killed and he would have allowed Nico to be killed also. If Ruth does betray Harry, I would not want to the Kudos writer who angered all of the passionate H/R fans.

5. The teamwork aspect of this episode was really great. It seems like the "spy" stuff really gets to Tariq and makes him nervous. I love the Home Secretary and finally, like Harry, we finally have a CIA chief that we just might not hate. Love Beth and Dmitri.

British Television really puts American television shows to shame.

RE: Series 9 Episode 6 discussion - JHyde - 27-10-2010 08:04 AM

Dear Episode Six: you were brill. It's about damn time.

This was the first truly great episode of the season and they made us wait for it. But it delivered.

I loved the vintage Spooks feel, mostly that came about through touches like Beth and Dimitri planting a false trail in the flat and also just being trapped inside the Grid. Two of the show's most popular episodes also lie in that tethered state, so it works for them. The difference was that having Lucas on the outside also worked brilliantly.

Oh Lucas, what have you done? The thing that REALLY made the Lucas storyline work in this was that we saw Lucas both at his very best and his very worst. There were glimpses of both and we were alternately rooting for him and (close to) shouting at the monitor. Well, I was, and I was in an internet cafe watching this one.

I liked that Danielle was different and not a stereotypical cryptographer. RA did beautifully in the scenes in the car, in the woods (God, I loved that she sees through him at that moment!) and especially as Ortiz died. As he LET her die. He has blood on his hands now. For me, this was the moment Lucas really caved. I hear Lady Macbeth in her sleep trying to wash her hands - what's done cannot be undone.

I knew Malcolm was due back probably somewhere in this episode and I loved that it was where we least expected it. It wasn't the cyber storyline, it was Lucas coming to him. That was so sad, Malcolm saying just exactly who was to be entrusted with that file. (Nice to have the core Harry mythology coming back in regards to Cologne too, Harry's Diary for those not aware.) This really is an ultimate betrayal. This man, who spent 8 years in a Russian cell, is about to be brought undone for what? Maya? I'm not sure this has the weight I would like, but surely that can't just be it.

Next week looks tops.
Series 9.7 Spoiler: show
I am especially eager to see Malcolm and Harry together again and looks like Ruth has a big episode planned.

Bring it on.

RE: Series 9 Episode 6 discussion - Hunted - 27-10-2010 08:09 AM

Echoing the comments, it was fantastic episode, edge of the seat stuff, I was terrified for Malcom's safety!! Nobody can do a bluff as well as Malcolm. What a legend! I wonder will 'Mum' make a re-appearance?! The little bits of spy trickery topped the episode. Did anybody notice that one of the Russian/Chinese gunmen at the abandoned building site looked like Kai from episode 4, or at least it seemed to be the same actor? No answers yet on just what is in the Albany file that Lucas/Vaughan/Vaughan's mystery employers(?) so desperately want. And how this ties in with the Chinese/Russians. The story arc is working nicely now but it was slow to get going this series. Really enjoying the ride on this. Kudo's to Richard Armitage playing essentially two people. I thought the end scene was fantastic as he struggled between John/Lucas/ and finally the John look.