Spooks Forum
Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 9 (/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion (/thread-1305.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - HellsBells - 04-11-2010 06:25 PM

(04-11-2010 04:42 PM)Logsie Wrote:  Either that or the writers think we are all a bunch of gullible idiots. Dodgy
I think you may be right. I believe these are new writers for Spooks, and I just feel they haven't watched the series as closely as many fans. But who knows what happens in 9.8.

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - George - 04-11-2010 08:04 PM

(04-11-2010 03:55 PM)conniesachs Wrote:  Missed it on Monday and wanted to watch it twice before asking a few questions;

* Think some people have queried what mobile model was used to detonate bomb but no one seems to have questioned whether Senegal had a mobile network in 95. I was living in Botswana at the time and there definitely wasn't one there, and I think South Africa was only just getting their infrastructure in place - could do with some imput from Silktie on this - as I knew a guy who got a job in SA locating and acquiring sites for mobile phone masts, and I'm sure that was in 96. Can't believe SA would be behind Senegal in this sort of technology.
If Senegal didn't have a mobile network in 95 would that prove that Vaughn's version of the bombing was a fake - clutching at straws - or just that the script writers didn't do their research, again?

According to info on the net, the first GSM network in Senegal became live on the 1st of July 1996. This does not exclude a prior existence (before launch, using test users) of a GSM network in 95, with John/Lucas being able to access it with a european GSM phone. Also does not exclude the presence of an analog mobile phone service (being a tourist area, feasible: a report says there were 10000 users in Senegal in 1995).

The point remains that the only flip phones at that time were the Motorola Tacs or the Ericsson and the flip was only the microphone/key cover, not the type seen in the episode. That model is most probably a more recent (2003?) Samsung or LG...

In case you are wondering: I was working in mobile networks at the time....

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Gazelle - 04-11-2010 09:35 PM

(03-11-2010 10:23 PM)Tomsdouble Wrote:  Gazelle

You mention Series 10. Is there definitely going to be one? I certainly hope so. Do you know something we don't? Undecided

Just going on the basis of what I've read on here... sadly I don't have a hotline to Kudos any more than the rest of you! Oh and apparently David Cameron likes Spooks so that settles it... Wink

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Tosca - 04-11-2010 09:38 PM

Hi there - completely new to this and very worried at the level of angst being generated here...

Remember, the fat lady hasn't sung yet: Maya, I mean; and yes I admit my perception may be a little distorted by jealousy. Surely there are revelations to come from that source which will allow our hero:blush:with one leap, as it were, to redeem himself...

Goodness, I hope so...

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Gazelle - 04-11-2010 09:42 PM

(03-11-2010 11:49 PM)Puppetmaster Wrote:  At the beginning of Series 9 - Peter Firth said they had written two endings (presumably dependent on whether there is to be a 10th series or not) ... [/spoiler]

Interesting... well, if they still haven't decided which ending to go with, please let's have the most Ruth-friendly one!

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Kirayuki - 04-11-2010 09:55 PM

(04-11-2010 09:42 PM)Gazelle Wrote:  
(03-11-2010 11:49 PM)Puppetmaster Wrote:  At the beginning of Series 9 - Peter Firth said they had written two endings (presumably dependent on whether there is to be a 10th series or not) ... [/spoiler]

Interesting... well, if they still haven't decided which ending to go with, please let's have the most Ruth-friendly one!

Agreed.

I don't mind her getting a bit hurt/shot as long as she lives and we know she lives before the end of the episode. (Horrible as it is for me to say that. Sad
I just think it may shake her up a little bit more and i think she might need it right now. (Plus gives nice possibility of HR. Tongue)

However i would prefer it if she could walk away without a scratch. Here's hoping. Big Grin

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Lucasbateman - 04-11-2010 09:56 PM

(04-11-2010 03:55 PM)conniesachs Wrote:  * Unless Vaughn and John managed to dispose of the body permanently they left behind a murdered white man. Who identified him? Was he shot or strangled? I know african police forces don't have a good record for efficiency, but the Senegal police must have some records. Did Beth check?

I agree, I expect if they checked the death records for the young Lucas, they would discover by the cause of death whether John is telling the truth.

Also, Ruth appeared to burn her hands on the iron in Keith's flat, but when in hospital she had no bandages and even pushed herself up from sitting in a chair on her hands. I'm sure burns dont heal that quickly!!

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - WhiteSwan - 04-11-2010 09:58 PM

After having just watched the whole of the episode I really would like to ask the writers some serious questions. Some of them have already been mentioned, like e.g. the switch of someone's personality from evil to good and then back again in an instance. And the more technical question about mobile phone networks and types of mobile phones in 1995. But there is also a new question which occurred to me: why on earth would someone who apparantly is a killer, someone without any conscience, someone who just blew up the British embassay (why he did it would be one more question) and then murdered his friend to get his passport join MI5? I mean come on, he had the passport, so he managed to leave the country - he could have gone anywhere, he could even have gone back to his old life (with the danger of being blackmailed by Vaughn, but as it is that happened anyway). Would anyone who's on the run and who's trying to cover his tracks join MI5? Is this a well-known safe-haven for criminals? Looking at the way they are vetting people it probably is, but still.
So either there is much more behind it and maybe even Harry is involved (why would Lucas want to talk to him alone, didn't he say his only interest was to be with Maya? So why bother about Harry?) or this series is really turning into some sort of ridiculous soap opera without any credibility whatsoever.

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Gazelle - 04-11-2010 10:33 PM

(04-11-2010 09:55 PM)Kirayuki Wrote:  
(04-11-2010 09:42 PM)Gazelle Wrote:  

Agreed.

I don't mind her getting a bit hurt/shot as long as she lives and we know she lives before the end of the episode. (Horrible as it is for me to say that. Sad
I just think it may shake her up a little bit more and i think she might need it right now. (Plus gives nice possibility of HR. Tongue)

However i would prefer it if she could walk away without a scratch. Here's hoping. Big Grin

Absolutely - nice to find a fellow forum user on the same wavelength! I hated seeing Ruth put through such stress this episode, I hope the script is kinder to her in episode 8. And that the door's left open for HR in s10 (ok, that's 2 wishes there as s10's still not a given...!)

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Puppetmaster - 04-11-2010 10:35 PM

I think we have to remember they are all spooks and spooks have to do
dreadful things for the greater good - Harry knows this so well. Whatever ruthless things
Harry has done, the writers have always made that point very clear, so I hope they are not
going to,now, have him involved in a discreditable way - that would not be believable, particularly
after the way he has behaved in this series.