Spooks Forum
Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 9 (/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion (/thread-1305.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - HellsBells - 05-11-2010 12:17 PM

As much as I hate to say this I don't think there are any twists to Lucas/John storyline. I think it was exactly as shown in the flashbacks with John blowing up the Embassy and killing the real Lucas, probably at Vaughn's suggestion (although I find the plot hard to shallow and unbelievable).
The Albany file is the key, I think to series 9. If this is such a precious file how come MI-5 think it is safe with a retired staff member, surely MI5 don't normally allow staff to take such things home.

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - A Cousin - 05-11-2010 01:22 PM

(05-11-2010 11:09 AM)Silktie Wrote:  I think there is a greater link between the Russian mafia bloke plot and the main Lucas/Albany/Chinese plot than we realised. That French assassin that Ruth had the run-in with, was in London to kill the Mafia bloke - who was bringing in 50 million Euros laundered money. But we also know that when the Chinese heard Lucas tell Vaughn that he was having problems locating the Albany file, they called and told to a French person that there was a problem. Now, this creates two possibilities:
1. The Chinese were working on their own, planning to steal the laundered money to pay for the Albany file, using the French mercenary to kill Mafia Guy. Maybe French mercenary was also there for another job, namely to kill Vaughn, Lucas and anyone else who knows about China's plans re the Alabny file.
2. The Chinese and Russians are working together to get Albany, and the Russians knew about the mafia money shipment and decided to steal it with the help of the Chinese (and the French mercenary would do the dirty work), then neither government would have to come up with the money to pay for it.

I hear you on this one. When Ruth wakes up, the assassin asks her how much she knows. When she says "everything," he looks at her for a moment before he decides that she is lying again. He was asking her how much she knows about the overall plot. She took it as how much do you know about Deery. Or she was bluffing. Either way, he is more involved in the Albany plot. Can anyone translate the phone conversation he had? I assume it was to inquire about what to do with Deery and Ruth? I imagine Ruth understood it because when Deery asked her if the assassin was going to kill them she pretty much said that he was going to try.

My question still remains, how does all that fit in with the Dakar bombing?

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Logsie - 05-11-2010 02:22 PM

(05-11-2010 01:22 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  
(05-11-2010 11:09 AM)Silktie Wrote:  I think there is a greater link between the Russian mafia bloke plot and the main Lucas/Albany/Chinese plot than we realised. That French assassin that Ruth had the run-in with, was in London to kill the Mafia bloke - who was bringing in 50 million Euros laundered money. But we also know that when the Chinese heard Lucas tell Vaughn that he was having problems locating the Albany file, they called and told to a French person that there was a problem. Now, this creates two possibilities:
1. The Chinese were working on their own, planning to steal the laundered money to pay for the Albany file, using the French mercenary to kill Mafia Guy. Maybe French mercenary was also there for another job, namely to kill Vaughn, Lucas and anyone else who knows about China's plans re the Alabny file.
2. The Chinese and Russians are working together to get Albany, and the Russians knew about the mafia money shipment and decided to steal it with the help of the Chinese (and the French mercenary would do the dirty work), then neither government would have to come up with the money to pay for it.

I hear you on this one. When Ruth wakes up, the assassin asks her how much she knows. When she says "everything," he looks at her for a moment before he decides that she is lying again. He was asking her how much she knows about the overall plot. She took it as how much do you know about Deery. Or she was bluffing. Either way, he is more involved in the Albany plot. Can anyone translate the phone conversation he had? I assume it was to inquire about what to do with Deery and Ruth? I imagine Ruth understood it because when Deery asked her if the assassin was going to kill them she pretty much said that he was going to try.

My question still remains, how does all that fit in with the Dakar bombing?

The only part of the French assassin's conversation which I caught was "ce n'est pas la meme chose" - "it (or that) is not the same thing"

I'll have to listen again more carefully tonight.

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - HellsBells - 05-11-2010 02:23 PM

The only bit of the Frenchman's conversation I could make out was something about a woman (presumably Ruth) turning up at the house/flat. Sorry my french is awful.

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - femaleBertieWooster - 05-11-2010 05:34 PM

I hope they tell us what is in Albany, otherwise all the shenanigans won't have any solid backup.

During the episode in which the Russian and Chinese hackers were monitoring everything on the grid, I believe we were told that they could already access all files. They pretended not to know they knew they were being spied upon solely because that would keep the hackers from downloading it all, only an hour's task. That would give them a little time to find them and stop them, which they were able to do. (Once they started downloading, the grid would know.)

If the hackers wanted Albany, they would have read and digested total contents at that time. No one would really be worrying about money to buy.

Main point--what is Albany? It has to be tied up with Lucas and his problems.

I'm still on his side.

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Kirayuki - 05-11-2010 06:39 PM

(05-11-2010 12:17 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  If this is such a precious file how come MI-5 think it is safe with a retired staff member, surely MI5 don't normally allow staff to take such things home.

I think it's been mentioned on here before. We think trusted ex-agents are sometimes asked to sit on things. Malcolm would count as trusted as he's been in the service for a very long time. It wouldn't surprise me as they wouldn't be the obvious place to go looking for something.

(05-11-2010 01:22 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  When Ruth wakes up, the assassin asks her how much she knows. When she says "everything," he looks at her for a moment before he decides that she is lying again. He was asking her how much she knows about the overall plot. She took it as how much do you know about Deery. Or she was bluffing.

I thought/think she was bluffing.

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - JHyde - 06-11-2010 03:40 AM

She was bluffing, not terribly well. But she still dealt with him!

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - BravoNine - 06-11-2010 06:20 AM

(06-11-2010 03:40 AM)JHyde Wrote:  She was bluffing, not terribly well. But she still dealt with him!

She certainly did deal with him alright! GO GIRL!Yahoo

Now I may just have to go on my own violent shooting spree after this Lucas storyline!DodgySilba

Think Ruth will lend me a gun?

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - Silktie - 06-11-2010 07:31 AM

(05-11-2010 06:39 PM)Kirayuki Wrote:  
(05-11-2010 12:17 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  If this is such a precious file how come MI-5 think it is safe with a retired staff member, surely MI5 don't normally allow staff to take such things home.

I think it's been mentioned on here before. We think trusted ex-agents are sometimes asked to sit on things. Malcolm would count as trusted as he's been in the service for a very long time. It wouldn't surprise me as they wouldn't be the obvious place to go looking for something.

Or maybe Malcolm doesn't actually have the file. He may know where it is, but he doesn't physically have it. My speculation is that Malcolm's address being hidden in the painting is a protocol set in place by Harry to give him a heads-up that someone is looking for Albany. Hopefully it isn't buried in Malcolm's back garden...

RE: Series 9 Episode 7 discussion - BravoNine - 06-11-2010 07:44 AM

(06-11-2010 07:31 AM)Silktie Wrote:  
(05-11-2010 06:39 PM)Kirayuki Wrote:  

Or maybe Malcolm doesn't actually have the file. He may know where it is, but he doesn't physically have it. My speculation is that Malcolm's address being hidden in the painting is a protocol set in place by Harry to give him a heads-up that someone is looking for Albany. Hopefully it isn't buried in Malcolm's back garden...

I normally wouldn't think so either, but looking at the level of MI5's security with the amount of moles that's been running around here and the fact that Lucas/John got in without anyone ever noticing.....I'm not sure I trust the security anymore.....it's more like the laughing stock of the intelligence world...