Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? (/thread-1502.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - DogSoSmall - 07-03-2011 07:15 PM

It's kind of ridiculous that the producer and the writers think "they should be together". Well, get on with it then!!!!!! Who comes up with the flippin' storylines if it's not the programme makers and the writers? They talk as if they have no control over the situation and that Harry and Ruth are a law unto themselves. Yet we know that they would have "done it loads by now" if it were up to Nicola and Peter. So who is this shady, unknown spectre that's holding up the show? Somebody slip something in their whisky and lets get on with it!!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - binkie - 07-03-2011 07:21 PM

(07-03-2011 07:15 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  So who is this shady, unknown spectre that's holding up the show? Somebody slip something in their whisky and lets get on with it!!

Big Grin This just made me actually LOL to an almost embarassing degree. And it made me write LOL. I'm far too far out of my twenties, and far too middle class to write LOL! Curse you, DogSoSmall!!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - Byatil - 07-03-2011 07:24 PM

(07-03-2011 07:15 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  It's kind of ridiculous that the producer and the writers think "they should be together". Well, get on with it then!!!!!! Who comes up with the flippin' storylines if it's not the programme makers and the writers? They talk as if they have no control over the situation and that Harry and Ruth are a law unto themselves. Yet we know that they would have "done it loads by now" if it were up to Nicola and Peter. So who is this shady, unknown spectre that's holding up the show? Somebody slip something in their whisky and lets get on with it!!

You have to remember that the EP/writers are duty-bound to write exciting, un-predictable drama Wink As much as they may want Harry and Ruth to get together, it may not necessarily make the best story. I'm actually expecting them to get Harry and Ruth together for an episode or two, and then have them be cruelly torn apart again. It seems like the kind of plot that would keep viewers on edge, and give the actors a chance to sink their teeth into some good drama (as long as it doesn't become horribly soap-opera-esque). If S10 is indeed the final series, I think we can assume that Harry and Ruth will either live "happily ever after" (you never know, the writers might surprise us!) or else one of them will die/they'll otherwise be forced to remain apart.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - A Cousin - 07-03-2011 07:27 PM

(07-03-2011 07:15 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  Somebody slip something in their whisky and lets get on with it!!

Or is that Whiskey? Tongue Sorry DSS. Couldn't resist! No, no, it's whisky. (And there comes that blasted American microsoft little red spell check line under the word telling me its wrong! No, no no! Dog So Small says it's correct! Fie in thee, little red spell check line!)
(07-03-2011 06:33 PM)Forever Secret Wrote:  OR they can get them together in Series 10 and see how their professional and person relationship works differently, personally I'd say now, after so long it would be more interesting to see how things worked out of they got together, even if things didn't work out Wink

Yup, even if it doesn't work out. I'd buy that if done well. Because it's an option. But at least they gave it a chance.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - DogSoSmall - 07-03-2011 07:50 PM

Binkie/A Cousin

I'm LOLing now too - and I never LOL either!!!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - Tess24 - 08-03-2011 07:29 AM

However much and whoever it is that wants them to get together I am reluctant because I have yet to watch a TV drama successfully hook up two lead characters after years of UST. I don't want the Lois and Clark (Superman) - or depending on age Maddie and David (Moonlighting) - effect to happen where the show depends more on what the relationship between these characters is rather than the storylines and the whole thing goes down hill from there.

I know the writers are good on the show but I would almost rather a quiet acknowledgement in the final episode than changing the nature of the show to fit in a more developed relationship storyline.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - DogSoSmall - 08-03-2011 08:00 AM

I really believe there is too much of an intellectual element to this relationship for it to be destroyed by a quick shag. If there is one show that can achieve this successfully, it is Spooks. Glad the writers are faced with such a great challenge - and confident that they can rise to it. Smile Smile Smile

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - xRuthx - 08-03-2011 08:20 AM

(08-03-2011 08:00 AM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  I really believe there is too much of an intellectual element to this relationship for it to be destroyed by a quick shag. It there is one show that can achieve this successfully, it is Spooks. Glad the writers are faced with such a great challenge - and confident that they can rise to it. Smile Smile Smile

I agree! I think Rarry would be an interesting dynamic and new and different for sure!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - Tea Lady - 08-03-2011 08:41 AM

(08-03-2011 07:29 AM)Tess24 Wrote:  However much and whoever it is that wants them to get together I am reluctant because I have yet to watch a TV drama successfully hook up two lead characters after years of UST. I don't want the Lois and Clark (Superman) - or depending on age Maddie and David (Moonlighting) - effect to happen where the show depends more on what the relationship between these characters is rather than the storylines and the whole thing goes down hill from there.

I know the writers are good on the show but I would almost rather a quiet acknowledgement in the final episode than changing the nature of the show to fit in a more developed relationship storyline.

I think it can be done so long as you are not just doing it for the fans and you do have a plot in mind and is not thrust in your face constantly, turning away non R/H fans. I think West Wing did it well with Donna and Josh. I think the writing in Spooks is generally of such a high standard and the writers love writing for both Harry and Ruth, that it can be done.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - Silktie - 08-03-2011 04:31 PM

Something else that may help Spooks pull it off is the fact that this is an ensemble show. It is not just about Harry and Ruth, and their dynamic. Which was the case in say Superman and Moonlighting. With Spooks being the show that it is, it can work because the relationship will not have to carry the show. It can be a B- or even C plot that very occasionally is elevated to higher status when necessary.