Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? (/thread-1502.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - xRuthx - 22-03-2011 09:50 PM

I lol'd at the last sentence Tongue

I would love to see two people working through a rocky relationship in the secret service. Adam and Fiona don't count because we saw them well into their relationship as a couple, not at its start.

Come on writers. Vote one SEX APPEAL.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - Byatil - 22-03-2011 09:54 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if we might see Harry's departure in 10.1. Have him just disappear; no contact with Ruth or the team at all. It would certainly have that "shock factor" which the production team seem to favour, and it would definitely shake things up on the grid. Lots of potential for humour between the team, lots of angsting for Ruth, lots of annoyance for the viewers... Wink Harry has been around since the show started, so arguably, the most shocking thing they could do is get rid of him.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - xRuthx - 22-03-2011 10:00 PM

^Would they really do that to us though? Really? They'd at least have to resolve some things between him and Ruth. Though I am of the opinion that Ruth was beginning to act rather like a section head in series nine and I did wonder at one point if they were setting up both Lucas and Harry to die in 9.8.

My personal theory is that series ten will be an ongoing enquiry that willl end in Harry retiring and Ruth leaving with him if ten is the last series and the writer's stop talking about the phantom menace who is keeping those two apart. Or Ruth will go under towards the end of the season and Harry has to keep on keeping on and if this happens my heart will break and I will never watch 5.5 ever again.

I think it is safe to assume though that both Ruth and Harry will both last at least for most of the series. There are too few charcters left to invest in for viewers. Ruth and Harry are the two strongest characters the writers have left.

Oh well, if I really hate what they do with Ruth and Harry in series ten, I figure I can always pretend the show stopped at series seven where Ros and Lucas are still Team Awesome and there is no Sarah or Maya or pshyco or Ros death and Harry moves on from Ruth in the fullness of time and Ruth stays in Cyprus learning to be happy with George. Obviously I would rather I didn't have to do that though Tongue

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - watchstrap - 22-03-2011 10:34 PM

I have decided to take the Harry and Ruth situation in S9 on the chin because it did fit in with the theme of the cost of being a spy. That was the character development in S9 and it was something that needed addressing as in previous series all the bad stuff that happened to people just got swept under the carpet never really refered to again.

As for S10, I'm feeling pretty relaxed and shall just go with it, whatever direction they take them. Of course I would like them to get together, but am sort of used to the angst now and dare I say quite enjoying it.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - lottanyman - 23-03-2011 12:32 PM

(22-03-2011 09:43 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  
(22-03-2011 09:28 PM)xRuthx Wrote:  Tbh I am of the opinion that the will they/won't they can no longer viably be considered good drama for a lot of viewers because people are just getting tired of it. Frankly, I fail to see how getting two people together in a meaningful if complicated relationship isn't good drama.

Couldn't agree more. I also fail to understand why it would be unrealistic for them to get together. Why? People say it, but never really explain it. "It's complicated" is not an explanation!!!! NW and PF know the characters best. If they think it should happen, how can that possibly be an unrealistic scenario? Everyone keeps ignoring the power of sex appeal!

Second this. Absolutely. Especially as getting them together wouldn't mean that everything would be totally hunky-dory for them all of a sudden. Especially Ruth still has to work on quite some issues in overcoming her fear of commitment towards Harry, she would have to find a way to be with him and deal with her feelings of loss.

So I think showing them wanting to be together and trying to work out to have a life together would make much better drama than just having the all too well known (and frankly by now quite annoying) way of them tiptoeing their way around themselves. Let's just hope for the best...

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - JHyde - 24-03-2011 06:07 AM

Personally I don't think there is a will they/won't they thing happening. Harry asked and Ruth said no. I think that put an end to it for season 9, it's only been slightly busted open by the events of 9.8.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - Silktie - 24-03-2011 06:17 PM

(24-03-2011 06:07 AM)JHyde Wrote:  Personally I don't think there is a will they/won't they thing happening. Harry asked and Ruth said no. I think that put an end to it for season 9, it's only been slightly busted open by the events of 9.8.

True, but after the reset they did at the start of season 9, I don't think continuity with this relationship is of primary concern. They may just as easily reset us back to will they/won't they in season 10.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - Naivety - 24-03-2011 08:25 PM

The fact that the writers chatted about it in the DVD promo interviews means (to me) that the Harry and Ruth storyline has been escalated in importance. I feel that it's the first time they have acknowledged it, rather than down playing it.

Although, of course it's the only storyline they can tease us with mid season, with there being no cliff hanger.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - DogSoSmall - 25-03-2011 07:08 AM

(22-03-2011 09:54 PM)Byatil Wrote:  I'm beginning to wonder if we might see Harry's departure in 10.1..... lots of annoyance for the viewers...

The thing is, why would the programme makers want to annoy the viewers? There's a thin line between shaking things up and doing something so unpopular that people just stop watching (please note, writer-people!!! Dodgy)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - xRuthx - 25-03-2011 10:06 AM

(25-03-2011 07:08 AM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  
(22-03-2011 09:54 PM)Byatil Wrote:  I'm beginning to wonder if we might see Harry's departure in 10.1..... lots of annoyance for the viewers...

The thing is, why would the programme makers want to annoy the viewers? There's a thin line between shaking things up and doing something so unpopular that people just stop watching (please note, writer-people!!! Dodgy)

Well I can see where the OP is coming from. If they've done it once why shouldn't they do the same thing again?

Personally, I don't think they would because Harry and Ruth are the only two characters left who have proper pasts and stories and tbh a lot of people are probably still only religously watching for the R/H sub plot. I don't have any embarassment in admitting that I am one of these people Tongue (though that's not to say I wouldn't like Tariq, Dmitri and Beth to get some storyline!)

Giving Harry the boot would be akin to Spooks suicide in my humble opinion Wink