Spooks Forum
Peter Firth #2 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Peter Firth #2 (/thread-1506.html)

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Obsession - 27-03-2011 04:06 AM

My least favourite, actually a total dislike, was Tess - no-one warned me it was a tradgey! I wanted to turn it off after an hour but persisted with it and was sorely disappointed I'd wasted 3 hours of my life. Watching 'an awefully big adventure' was also a chore for me. Didn't like that story at all. Sad

RE: Peter Firth #2 - langley - 27-03-2011 12:03 PM

I just saw PF in Law & Order SVU (ended up downloading it from iTunes b/c it had been removed from all the free sites, then realized I could have watched it on Netflix -duh!!!). I find that show VERY difficult to watch because of the subject matter, but I had to see him in it. Of course he was completely brilliant!
I know this will be unpopular, but I wish he'd come to America and star in a series here so we could get 20+ episodes of him in something (between Spooks gigs, of course). American series tend to be more quantity over quality (i.e. "24"), but that way I could get my PF fix. I wish the same for NW, too. Not that they even want that, but what about MY needs?

RE: Peter Firth #2 - A Cousin - 27-03-2011 02:06 PM

(27-03-2011 04:06 AM)Obsession Wrote:  My least favourite, actually a total dislike, was Tess - no-one warned me it was a tradgey! I wanted to turn it off after an hour but persisted with it and was sorely disappointed I'd wasted 3 hours of my life. Watching 'an awefully big adventure' was also a chore for me. Didn't like that story at all. Sad

Both certainly challenge certain sexual taboos and can be difficult to watch. AABA just goes over the top for me. I really, really, really don't like Hugh Grant as an actor so the fact that the rest of the cast are stellar is hard for me to concentrate on. I thought it was one of PF's better performances though.

I love the story of Tess, but she is one of "those" characters that I find difficult to like. I have not seen this version of Tess in eons but I remember not much liking Roman Polanski's interpretation of the character of Tess. If you ask me, he was using it as a little bit of a soap box for his own personal "situation" at the time. Apart from that, there are simply better interpretations of the book, IMO. Hardy made a very strong statement about social/sexual mores of the time. The characters can seem weak to our modern eyes. Both Tess and Angel try to do the right thing, but are victimized and shackled by the expectations of their time. They overcome them, in their own way, but too late.
(27-03-2011 12:03 PM)langley Wrote:  I know this will be unpopular, but I wish he'd come to America and star in a series here so we could get 20+ episodes of him in something (between Spooks gigs, of course). American series tend to be more quantity over quality (i.e. "24"), but that way I could get my PF fix. I wish the same for NW, too. Not that they even want that, but what about MY needs?

HaHa! He did actually. That's Life. I watched it in its original airing but was only mildly aware of PF at the time. (As in "Oh look its Peter Firth.") Not sure where to get it though. It ran on UK TV not long ago though. As far as I am concerned, as long as they stay on UK TV I am happy. At least that trickles over the Atlantic eventually. Its missing the stage work that makes me sad.

RE: Peter Firth #2 - DogSoSmall - 31-03-2011 05:49 PM

I really enjoyed watching Peter in Law & Order last night. Always good to get a fix, but I was also impressed by his cold certainty in that role. Quite creepy.

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate finding out about when and where to find PF projects from this thread. I would miss everything if it wasn't for you guys. Thanks to everyone. Smile

RE: Peter Firth #2 - YoungHarryFan - 01-04-2011 07:39 AM

(31-03-2011 05:49 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  I just wanted to say how much I appreciate finding out about when and where to find PF projects from this thread. I would miss everything if it wasn't for you guys. Thanks to everyone. Smile

Hi DogSoSmall, Peter's on TV again this weekend, his interview on Top Gear (with RPJ) is being shown Sunday 3rd April @ 4pm on Dave. Although you may have already seen it on YouTube.

If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth watching.

RE: Peter Firth #2 - DogSoSmall - 01-04-2011 12:25 PM

Thanks YHF. I have only seen this on you-tube so will definitely want to be watching the full screen version. Problem is, my children are all over for Mothers' Day. Could be amusing trying to get the telly on and randomly picking on Top Gear at 4 o'clock in the afternoon! They have no idea I am a PF obsessive. I have managed to keep it completely secret to avoid the mockery of their mum for getting hot under the collar about anyone Blush. They're not even aware that I'm a particular fan of Spooks. I feel it's better that way. Once I start talking about these things, I just don't stop and then it's just embarassing!

RE: Peter Firth #2 - picard1109 - 01-04-2011 04:32 PM

Breathing a huge sigh of relief - my external drive is fine and all my PF stuff is okay.Yahoo I'm going to back it all up on DVD just to be safe.

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Naivety - 01-04-2011 08:24 PM

(01-04-2011 12:25 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  Thanks YHF. I have only seen this on you-tube so will definitely want to be watching the full screen version. Problem is, my children are all over for Mothers' Day. Could be amusing trying to get the telly on and randomly picking on Top Gear at 4 o'clock in the afternoon! They have no idea I am a PF obsessive. I have managed to keep it completely secret to avoid the mockery of their mum for getting hot under the collar about anyone Blush. They're not even aware that I'm a particular fan of Spooks. I feel it's better that way. Once I start talking about these things, I just don't stop and then it's just embarassing!

I know just what you mean! I'd never let on at work about my Spooks obsession. The family do know because my netbook is always logged on to Spooks pages, but I do try to be discreet about it!! Blush

RE: Peter Firth #2 - picard1109 - 02-04-2011 12:32 PM

Oh, I'm totally out re. Spooks. I do try to be a little more discreet at home re PF - I wouldn't want the OH to be upset by it, so I need to be sensible.

RE: Peter Firth #2 - A Cousin - 02-04-2011 01:34 PM

Thoroughly out of the closet re: Spooks as well. For me, full disclosure is best. The Hubby (and oldest child on occasion) watches it with me and enjoys it. He's used to my little obsessions as they come and go. He knows I am as interested in writing and production as much as anything else. As far as character crushes go, PF as SHP is the just the most recent in a looooong line. We have a little mantra: I'm married, not dead!