Spooks Forum
Peter Firth #2 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Peter Firth #2 (/thread-1506.html)

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Tea Lady - 02-04-2011 03:03 PM

I am totally out of the closet with Spooks at work. The mug helped with that. My colleagues just take the micky in a nice way. As for my Peter obsession, less so. That's a bit more personal so I really keep that to myself at work.

As for home, Mr TL has guessed the Peter thing really. Not helped this week by three DVD's arriving in the post. On Monday, Pleasure Principle dropped onto the mat. On Wednesday it was Prisoner of Rio, and on Friday, South Riding appeared. Silba

RE: Peter Firth #2 - yorkshiretyke - 02-04-2011 07:44 PM

Decided to have a sofa treat this afternoon as noticed Hunt for Red October on E4, only problem is I missed first half an hour....and I presume PF was in that bit as didn't see him in rest!

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Tea Lady - 02-04-2011 07:57 PM

(02-04-2011 07:44 PM)yorkshiretyke Wrote:  Decided to have a sofa treat this afternoon as noticed Hunt for Red October on E4, only problem is I missed first half an hour....and I presume PF was in that bit as didn't see him in rest!

Ooops, yes he makes a short appearance after about 15mins, then that's it.

RE: Peter Firth #2 - picard1109 - 02-04-2011 08:38 PM

Finally watching Hawking. Had it for a year and never bothered to watch it.

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Naivety - 02-04-2011 10:05 PM

(02-04-2011 07:44 PM)yorkshiretyke Wrote:  Decided to have a sofa treat this afternoon as noticed Hunt for Red October on E4, only problem is I missed first half an hour....and I presume PF was in that bit as didn't see him in rest!

I did my ironing while watching that for the very same reason, and guess what? I missed the first half an hour! Duh!

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Nixie - 03-04-2011 05:39 AM

Did anyone else notice that the rooftop scene in S8.8 with Harry and Ruth, where he is moved to tears after quoting Schiller's Ode to Joy, parallels the scene he has with his daughter in S3.4? In 3.4 he is moved to tears when his daughter reads from the Yeats' poem, and she then says: 'Dad, don't, Dad. (pause) We better go, it's too windy.' In 8.8 he responds to Ruth's concern for his tears by saying: 'It's just the wind, Ruth'. And, yes, they were both written by the same scriptwriter - Ben Richards. Coincidence? I don't think so! Has Harry cried anywhere else in the series?

(Just posted this in 8.8 discussion, but thought it might fit in here too and I'd love to know what people think about this - Is bit of poetry the chink in Harry's armour?)

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Silktie - 03-04-2011 10:49 AM

(03-04-2011 05:39 AM)Nixie Wrote:  Did anyone else notice that the rooftop scene in S8.8 with Harry and Ruth, where he is moved to tears after quoting Schiller's Ode to Joy, parallels the scene he has with his daughter in S3.4? In 3.4 he is moved to tears when his daughter reads from the Yeats' poem, and she then says: 'Dad, don't, Dad. (pause) We better go, it's too windy.' In 8.8 he responds to Ruth's concern for his tears by saying: 'It's just the wind, Ruth'. And, yes, they were both written by the same scriptwriter - Ben Richards. Coincidence? I don't think so! Has Harry cried anywhere else in the series?

(Just posted this in 8.8 discussion, but thought it might fit in here too and I'd love to know what people think about this - Is bit of poetry the chink in Harry's armour?)

Please take this discussion to the Harry thread as it is all about the character rather than the actor.

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Nixie - 03-04-2011 12:50 PM

Sorry, Silktie. Sometimes I get a bit confused trying to work out the best place to put a post. And it took me some time to find the SHP thread - the Jedi comment threw me - and the other 2 threads I found were closed. Think I found the right one eventually.

RE: Peter Firth #2 - A Cousin - 03-04-2011 01:32 PM

(02-04-2011 10:05 PM)Naivety Wrote:  

I did my ironing while watching that for the very same reason, and guess what? I missed the first half an hour! Duh!

I did that three flippin' times! Each time beginning a little bit earlier and I still missed him. I didn't know that he was in it so very early on. But it is such a great movie that I just kept on watching. All 2.5 hours remaining of it (with commercials - ugh!)... At least in Pearl Harbor his best scene nearer the end. But, my goodness, that movie is such a bore!

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Tea Lady - 03-04-2011 03:41 PM

(03-04-2011 01:32 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  At least in Pearl Harbor his best scene nearer the end.

You mean when he's lying in the coffin in the aircraft hanger?

That film is a travesty. At least Peter's part had some sort of historic merit, and wasn't made up by Hollywood. The Captain stayed at his post for hours, bleeding to death and got the Medal of Honor. (Not mentioned in the film!!)