Spooks Forum
Peter Firth #2 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Peter Firth #2 (/thread-1506.html)

RE: Peter Firth #2 - DogSoSmall - 03-04-2011 08:19 PM

(02-04-2011 03:03 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  As for home, Mr TL has guessed the Peter thing really. Not helped this week by three DVD's arriving in the post. On Monday, Pleasure Principle dropped onto the mat. On Wednesday it was Prisoner of Rio, and on Friday, South Riding appeared. Silba

Yes, that is a bit of a dead giveaway! Big Grin

By the way, is Prisoner of Rio worth a watch? Is it one of PF's famous little cameo appearances, or a more substantial role?

RE: Peter Firth #2 - picard1109 - 03-04-2011 09:19 PM

(03-04-2011 08:19 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  By the way, is Prisoner of Rio worth a watch? Is it one of PF's famous little cameo appearances, or a more substantial role?

Oh, you bet it is! The film as a whole is pretty poor (and Stephen Berkoff is dreadful!Dodgy) but Peter acquits himself rather well. He looks great in it, too. Plus there's the Speedo scene...worth watching just for that!Silba

RE: Peter Firth #2 - DogSoSmall - 04-04-2011 06:55 AM

Say no more! Smile

RE: Peter Firth #2 - MandyM15 - 04-04-2011 10:06 PM

I have just watched Equus, wow! All I can say is, should Harry and Ruth ever get round to consummating their relationship she is one VERY lucky girl!!!!!!!!1

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Obsession - 05-04-2011 06:51 AM

What on earth is a Doctor of Letters? Was just trying to find any PF in Prisoner of Rio on youtube (there isn't any) and his honourary degree came up. I'd already seen it, but want to know... what exactly is a Doctor of Letters?

RE: Peter Firth #2 - DogSoSmall - 05-04-2011 07:16 AM

Should have Prisoner of Rio arriving in the post today, so that's my evening's viewing sorted. Smile

A Doctor of Letters is a type of university degree (like a Doctor of Philisophy, as opposed to a medical doctor). It's not based on doing particular academic work towards a normal degree so can be given as an honorary degree for high achievement in any field. (I think so, anyway - not being Doctor material myself, I'm not sure!)

Mandy, in Equus when he says to Jenny Agutter "you're beautiful" and she says "so are you", I always think it's the only line in the whole film that she says with any conviction!! Wink

RE: Peter Firth #2 - MandyM15 - 05-04-2011 04:22 PM

absolutely!

RE: Peter Firth #2 - picard1109 - 08-04-2011 10:11 AM

PF was a bit naughty (and probably raised a few academic eyebrows) at the end of his speech at Bradford - he finished with a quote but didn't attribute it, so it sounds like it's his own wit and wisdom. As all good academics know, you have to reference your quotes!

RE: Peter Firth #2 - yorkshiretyke - 08-04-2011 01:16 PM

What was the quote?

RE: Peter Firth #2 - A Cousin - 08-04-2011 01:38 PM

(08-04-2011 01:16 PM)yorkshiretyke Wrote:  What was the quote?

Its up on youtube. Just search Peter Firth and you will find it. Part 2 is his speech although part 1 is funny as PF stands there as a retrospective of his career is placed before him. My favorite moment in part 1 is in the beginning when his mother is mentioned.