Spooks Forum
Peter Firth #2 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Peter Firth #2 (/thread-1506.html)

RE: Peter Firth #2 - pepelow - 04-05-2011 09:48 AM

4 page spread in the July 2011 issue of SFX magazine with interview of the writer of "The Flipside of Dominic Hyde". Interesting reading if you're into the movie, but no quotes or contribution from PF. Some pics included with the article, but its nothing we've not already seen from the DVD cover or the movie itself.

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Tea Lady - 08-05-2011 12:08 PM

I've not seen this photo before but it shows Peter a little befuddled by his lines. Not sure what series of Spooks this is.

[Image: harrylines.jpg]

RE: Peter Firth #2 - yorkshiretyke - 08-05-2011 12:25 PM

Gold tie, velvet collar...I am sure someone will be able to place it!

p.s where did you find it Tea Lady?

RE: Peter Firth #2 - MrsHat - 08-05-2011 12:29 PM

I actually think he's reading the paper there, no idea where from though, but he is gorgeous Heart

RE: Peter Firth #2 - pepelow - 08-05-2011 12:42 PM

The photo was taken when Series 7 was being filmed, think its from episode 704. It was used as the publicity photo for a Spooks event at the ICM held in September 2008. PF was supposed to appear at that event, but at the last minute was a no show. Other cast members did show, including Matthew MacFadyen, Hugh Simon, Miranda Raison, Bharat Nalluri, Howard Brenton and some of the producers. I have a copy of this photo which has been signed by PF Smile

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Tea Lady - 15-05-2011 03:02 PM

If you have SKY, they are showing "Garden of Redemption" today. It's on channel 149, CBS Drama. It's on again at 7pm tonight.

RE: Peter Firth #2 - A Cousin - 17-05-2011 05:56 PM

Those of us in the US just finished South Riding so I thought I'd add my opinion.

In a nutshell, I thought it had lots of potential not fully realized. It wasn't horrible, by far, but I'd only watch it again for PF. If you haven't read the book, it is hard to follow. The characters, their relationships, the plot and the overall theme of the series was underdeveloped.

That said, Peter Firth is his usual brilliant, understated and engaging self in it. PF does have an eye for a good character. Snaith is a very interesting character. I found it very difficult to get a handle on him; is he good or bad. The answer was, he's both. I thought he owned the land everyone was buying up, as did Carne, only to find that Snaith was exposing Huggins out of his contempt for him. I *think*? If he did have any kind of financial investment in either plot of land, it was not presented. Its kind of a sh*tty thing to do, but Huggins was a hypocritical naive idiot in way over his head for all the wrong reasons. Snaith's resentment of Carne was an interesting dynamic as well, but under-developed thus confusing. Snaith is at once deeply invested in the betterment of The Riding, but ruthless (no pun intended Big Grin) about ridding himself of any perceived obstacles and hypocrisies.

Nice wig too. Couldn't see the mesh or the join. You know I was looking for it too. PF is also very good with animals, isn't he? Snaith is definitely a "cat person!" Wink

RE: Peter Firth #2 - DogSoSmall - 17-05-2011 07:53 PM

I completely agree with your analysis, A Cousin. I don't know how the BBC thought they would ever be able to cram the complexity of the book into three episodes and it annoyed me rather that they tried. They were obviously trying to save money, but I would have preferred them to do nothing than half a job - and maybe save up for a bit and make six episodes. It was such a shame, because I thought the actors were really well cast. PF was just perfect, and totally caught the character of Snaith. I really enjoyed Snaith in the book. As you say, he wasn't "bad" or "good". He had his own set of values and I liked that he enjoyed exposing the idiocy of Huggins. By the end of the book I was really quite fond of Snaith (and if a man loves cats he can't be all bad!). Huggins was wonderful and very funny in his sleaziness. I would have loved to see all those actors given the chance to expand a bit more. And I agree, if I hadn't read the book I think I would have been completely lost. Missed opportunity, and as a result it almost passed without any comment from the critics or the audience.

RE: Peter Firth #2 - Tea Lady - 17-05-2011 08:28 PM

(17-05-2011 05:56 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  Nice wig too. Couldn't see the mesh or the join. You know I was looking for it too. PF is also very good with animals, isn't he? Snaith is definitely a "cat person!" Wink

I liked the wig too. Helped make the audience think of him as Snaith and not Harry Pearce.

I fear the three episode number was because of buget cuts or maybe even over editing. Wasn't Peter supposed to have been up north filming for South Riding for about 3 months? I can't quite see that his scenes were 3 months worth of filming. There were also those scenes of him cuddling Edgar on the promo video that did not appear in the series.

Keep meaning to mention for all those that didn't bother with the second series of That's Life
Spoiler: show
Jackie had her baby and called him Victor. She said that the baby had her father's lips

RE: Peter Firth #2 - loladom - 18-05-2011 12:24 PM

Agree with above points. I studied this book at school (given Winnifred Holtby is somewhat of a literary heroine in those parts) and the characters are far more complex than the film portrayed. It's such a shame!

As for That's Life, does anyone have any suggestion of how to view it online, given that it's a TV show that's never been produced on DVD? (Or has it?) Any US sites that stream it? or P2P? I'm in Asia, so devoid of certain erm rules one might face in the UK.Wink Perhaps a PM would be a more appropriate reply.