Spooks Forum
Episode 5.6 discussion [re-watch] - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 5 (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 5.6 discussion [re-watch] (/thread-1513.html)

Pages: 1 2

Episode 5.6 discussion [re-watch] - JHyde - 30-01-2011 09:28 AM

Aaaaaaaaand we're back! It's pretty self explanatory, we watch an episode every week and then chat about it. We're following on from last year where we left off just before season 9 started.

Does Ros really join the team in this one? Malcolm certainly makes an effort with her. How is Harry coping? And some of Adam's politics come to the fore.

Discuss with love!

RE: Episode 6 discussion [re-watch] - Silktie - 30-01-2011 12:09 PM

I like the threat of the week in this one - the Israelis trying to derail the UK's plans to sell nuclear technology to the Saudis. I also like the fact that the episode alludes to the Saudis' connections to Al Qaeda.

The Neil character is a little too slippery from the start for me - there's no real ambiguity over whether he is a good or bad person from the start. And Sally is rather gullible for a spy, isn't she?

I found Ros' integration as a trusted member of the team too seamless after the events of episode 5.5. I didn't expect them to make a big deal out of it, but a simple 30 second conversation where Harry tells her never to go over his head or behind his back again, would have sufficed.

The cracks are really beginning to show with Adam in this one, and while I'm one of a very few people I know of that liked the whole PTSD storyline, I didn't much like the plot-line of him seeking solace with the nanny. Here is at least one thing that Ruth got wrong: remember she was the one that picked a nanny for him. Should have gone with a Mrs Doubtfire lookalike, Ruth!

Oh, and on a shallow note, I found the leader of the Israeli group quite attractive.

RE: Episode 6 discussion [re-watch] - HellsBells - 31-01-2011 02:24 PM

I agree Silktie, I didn't like Adam and the nanny storyline. And yes Sally was incredible gullible.
But the plot lines are brilliant, loved the idea that everybody is looking the wrong way and everyone is (practically) unprepared for the real threat. The scenes with Ros and the Saudi princes were funny, which made a great change.

RE: Episode 6 discussion [re-watch] - A Cousin - 31-01-2011 02:55 PM

I really dug the interaction with Malcolm and Ros in this episode. With both Colin and Ruth gone, he has taken over the tech role. They are great together. Upon re-watching, it may be part of the reason I didn't mind Ros anymore than I did after the events of 5.5. Although, I think Malcolm enjoyed injecting that minuscule receiver into Ros' cochlea a bit too much. Wink

I also really like the scene with Harry and Daniel Wise (I think?) when Wise is justifying the UK/Saudi energy deal with "They'll-thank-me-in-20-years-when-we-all-run-out-of-oil" POV and Harry replies that another option is that some crack pot extremist takes over in the interim who have been provided with enriched uranium to use as nuclear weapons against the west. Sounds very familiar.

At this point, I thought Saskia Reeves was going to be permanent.

I too didn't like the nanny plot line. The first time I watched this episode, I was very suspicious of her. It did not hit me in the way I *think* it was intended: they are finding solace in each other physically. It felt to me as if she were taking advantage of his vulnerability. It made me uncomfortable for Adam. Maybe it was supposed to?

RE: Episode 6 discussion [re-watch] - JHyde - 01-02-2011 09:22 AM

I must admit the plot line for this one is a favourite of mine, it is a classic flip of expectations where the bad guys are concerned.

The reason I know it's one of my favourite plot lines is that I find myself thinking about it a lot when trying to plot my own fan fics.

RE: Episode 6 discussion [re-watch] - HellsBells - 01-02-2011 02:12 PM

(31-01-2011 02:55 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  Harry replies that another option is that some crack pot extremist takes over in the interim who have been provided with enriched uranium to use as nuclear weapons against the west. Sounds very familiar.

That point doesn't actually work though because (as far as I know, not being an expert) that the enriched uranium required for power generating is no use in a nuclear weapon. The uranium has to be enrich considerably further which is the major huddle in nuclear weapons manufacture. That is why Russia were willing to supply Iran with uranium suitable for use in a nuclear power station a while ago.

(31-01-2011 02:55 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  I too didn't like the nanny plot line. The first time I watched this episode, I was very suspicious of her. It did not hit me in the way I *think* it was intended: they are finding solace in each other physically. It felt to me as if she were taking advantage of his vulnerability. It made me uncomfortable for Adam. Maybe it was supposed to?

Yes I thought she was indeed taking advantage of him for a more sinister reason. Highly unprofessional for a live-in nanny though!

RE: Episode 6 discussion [re-watch] - A Cousin - 01-02-2011 02:31 PM

(01-02-2011 02:12 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  
(31-01-2011 02:55 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  Harry replies that another option is that some crack pot extremist takes over in the interim who have been provided with enriched uranium to use as nuclear weapons against the west. Sounds very familiar.

That point doesn't actually work though because (as far as I know, not being an expert) that the enriched uranium required for power generating is no use in a nuclear weapon. The uranium has to be enrich considerably further which is the major huddle in nuclear weapons manufacture. That is why Russia were willing to supply Iran with uranium suitable for use in a nuclear power station a while ago.
I need to clarify myself. I think Harry was playing devils advocate re: the politics, not the science. I was referring to, and think the point Harry is making, is not about what they actually could or could not do with uranium (although even if they couldn't really do anything with it, they would certainly be one step closer), but the possibility of a change in leadership over the next 20 years of the deal and the intentions of that leadership. I also think he very much respects Wise's conviction because he just makes his point but offers the security being requested anyway.

RE: Episode 6 discussion [re-watch] - HellsBells - 02-02-2011 12:25 PM

Harry does like to play Devil's advocate doesn't he?
I don't think Harry is the position to stop this deal going ahead, but he does have to protect the politicians, after all that is his job.

I think this episode(s) really demonstrated how brilliant Spooks can be if given more time to build up the story and wished they had done more two-parters.

RE: Episode 6 discussion [re-watch] - Silktie - 02-02-2011 03:57 PM

You're right. Also, in season 5 we didn't have a plotline running through the whole series, taking time away from building up the threat of the week.

Should we perhaps have seen Ruth leaving have more of an effect on Harry than we did here? One longing stare at her empty chair, but then we were back to business as usual. Surely he must have been a little unbalanced by what happened in 5.5, but we didn't really see any evidence of that.

Also, how did Neil wangle it so that he could read what happened on Sally's computer? Does this mean any of the Grid members can monitor what any other member is doing on their computer? Does that not rather negate the issue of security levels?

RE: Episode 6 discussion [re-watch] - HellsBells - 03-02-2011 02:17 PM

I did wonder about the computer thing. Obviously there must be some monitoring of what personnel are doing on their computer (I believe most companies can do this) but surely not other members of the team, I guess he must have installed some sort of program to allow this, but then that should have set off alarm bells.

Harry staring at Ruth's chair........very understated. I would have hoped for more fall out from the previous episode. Did anyone even mention Ruth? As Ruth's departure was so under-played are we to assume that some time had past between 5.5 and 5.6.