Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 (/thread-1566.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: [spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 - BravoNine - 31-03-2011 10:30 PM

(31-03-2011 10:27 PM)xRuthx Wrote:  ^I have thought of that and it was the storyline I intially thought they were going for. If this does happen in series ten (but somehow from writing interviews I doubt it) I take most of my annoyance back. Even so, I would find that kind of storyline rather unbelievable (but still better than the one we have atm).

I would find it believable, you'd be surprised at how you can manipulate one's mind and the whole brainwashing/mind control thing is not as science fiction as one would believe. So I can totally see more logic in a storyline like that than believing somehow John was so smart to bluff his way into MI5, a supposed SECURE intelligence agency....Dodgy

RE: [spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 - xRuthx - 31-03-2011 10:34 PM

^I agree with you but I don't think if there's only six episodes they'll be able to wrap that kind of storyline up especially with no RA to film with in a believable way. I really think series ten will be all about Harry being investigated.

I would pay good money to find out what the series nine alternative ending was?

RE: [spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 - BravoNine - 31-03-2011 10:52 PM

(31-03-2011 10:34 PM)xRuthx Wrote:  ^I agree with you but I don't think if there's only six episodes they'll be able to wrap that kind of storyline up especially with no RA to film with in a believable way. I really think series ten will be all about Harry being investigated.

In the hands of a good writer, they wouldn't even need to have RA there to be able to end that storyline properly, they could just focus on the team's reactions and what they are doing to bring justice to Lucas's sacrifice. And they could just use scenes from Series 7 and 8 to do some nice tribute or even show some cut footages.

I mean honestly, this is not a high expectation to have at all, considering I saw it done on NCIS a couple of months ago where a character that had been dead for the last 8 years got a good tribute/remembrance episode with just old/cut footages and reactions from her teammates. And that episode was done with lots of care and respect, you can tell the writers put effort and hard work into it to do the character justice.

The issue is not whether Spooks writers can or cannot do it, it's whether they even bother to put in an effort or care, because any story can be done right if the writer put their heart and soul into the storyline, but it's quite clear that these writers don't bother with that, they just want shock and awe.

(31-03-2011 10:34 PM)xRuthx Wrote:  I would pay good money to find out what the series nine alternative ending was?

Probably an alien invasion.....at least that would be interesting....or time travel....or Lucas turning into a werewolf....Dodgy

RE: [spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 - HellsBells - 01-04-2011 01:44 PM

(31-03-2011 10:14 PM)xRuthx Wrote:  Have you guys ever read Hestia08's write up on her livejournal of 9.8? It was hilarious but it also brought up this problem ie that the writers couldn't decide if Lucas/John was a supervillain or a weak man, a phycotic killer or a sympathetic victim of circumstance, two personalities or one? No matter how much you try to make sense of this storyline you never ever will because it doesn't make sense. It never could.

I think the problems is that the writers did not have a clear and concise idea about Lucas/John. Or they did not have the knowledge to write such a complex storyline in the time allowed.
I can't see them writing any redemption for Lucas in series 10 because I feel that the writers did not like the character of Lucas, which is why they destroyed him rather than giving him a hero's death as other spooks.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 - BoHenley - 01-04-2011 09:21 PM

I doubt if Lucas will even be mentioned. They'll go straight to the Harry storyline, especially if there's only 6 episodes.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 - BravoNine - 01-04-2011 09:36 PM

(01-04-2011 09:21 PM)BoHenley Wrote:  I doubt if Lucas will even be mentioned. They'll go straight to the Harry storyline, especially if there's only 6 episodes.

As much as I wish it wasn't, I believe you are correct, it will be all about Harry and he will probably come out on top again. Spooks never really do focus on tie-in storylines, so I can't say I'm surprised.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 - HellsBells - 02-04-2011 05:52 PM

(01-04-2011 09:36 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  
(01-04-2011 09:21 PM)BoHenley Wrote:  I doubt if Lucas will even be mentioned. They'll go straight to the Harry storyline, especially if there's only 6 episodes.

As much as I wish it wasn't, I believe you are correct, it will be all about Harry and he will probably come out on top again. Spooks never really do focus on tie-in storylines, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Totally agree with you, I'd be surprised if Lucas is ever mentioned again. But he might get a mention in episode 1 for being totally evil making Harry hand over Albany.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 - BravoNine - 02-04-2011 05:54 PM

(02-04-2011 05:52 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  
(01-04-2011 09:36 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  

Totally agree with you, I'd be surprised if Lucas is ever mentioned again. But he might get a mention in episode 1 for being totally evil making Harry hand over Albany.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did. They probably will just milk his whole evil-ness for all its worth and make him the big bad guy. It's just insulting.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 - BoHenley - 02-04-2011 10:25 PM

I only wish Harry could've shown some sadness/frustration/anguish/pity - even if "only" to Ruth - that Lucas had been in prison so long, or some hint of his attempts to free him. I don't want to cover old ground, because we've done that earlier either in this or other threads, but his lack of reaction to Lucas's comments along the lines of "being left in prison" should've garnered some reaction from Harry IF he'd tried to get Lucas released. Still makes me wonder if he really didn't try...

RE: [spoilers] Lucas Discussion 2 - xRuthx - 02-04-2011 10:27 PM

^Same. I lost a lot of sympathy for Harry in series nine by the end largely to do with Lucas, Ruth and the writer's annoying insistence since about series six that Harry never ever face any tangible consequences.