Spooks Forum
Surveillance Society - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+---- Forum: Current Affairs / Debate (/forum-34.html)
+---- Thread: Surveillance Society (/thread-1724.html)

Pages: 1 2

Surveillance Society - Yank - 10-06-2011 09:36 PM

I have a question for all you Brits. In watching Spooks, one thing that stands out to me is the proliferation of CCTV cameras. I know we have similar cameras here in the States and that the number of cameras is increasing but it seems the concentration in Britain and specifically London is much higher. I was wondering how you lot feel about that. The question is not meant to be a criticism. I'm just curious. Thanks, in advance, for your responses.

RE: Surveillance Society - Nitrus - 10-06-2011 10:20 PM

I couldn't care less if there are cameras watching me in public 24/7. I don't plan on breaking the law, I don't have an irrational fear about being filmed or the government knowing where I've been and if I get mugged/attacked I damn sure want some CCTV to get the people who did it.

RE: Surveillance Society - Sparky - 10-06-2011 11:55 PM

I agree with Nitrus, I don't think most people care - I certainly don't. They were put in when the IRA was prolific and i'm sure their presence has averted a number of attacks on both London and the rest of the UK.

RE: Surveillance Society - JHyde - 11-06-2011 07:10 AM

I think what worries people is less the proliferation of cameras and more about who might be able to use/view the footage. Perhaps that's splitting hairs.

Having said that, such a network has its undeniable benefits. Also very handy for Spooks writers, it's been such a big plot point in so many stories, the exhaustive CCTV coverage.

RE: Surveillance Society - Tea Lady - 11-06-2011 10:07 AM

I have no problem with cameras. The more the better IMO. They were vital after the 21/7 failed attacks in London when they needed to catch the four "men" quickly. They had clear CCTV images up within hours.

RE: Surveillance Society - richliga - 11-06-2011 11:31 AM

But how long back do they save those cctv stuff? When watching another british tv series Waking the dead... they often can dig up 10 year old cctv? Dont they ever delete the old ones?

RE: Surveillance Society - Nitrus - 11-06-2011 11:48 AM

(11-06-2011 07:10 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I think what worries people is less the proliferation of cameras and more about who might be able to use/view the footage. Perhaps that's splitting hairs.

If someone wants to get their jollies watching me walk down a street. Go for it.

(11-06-2011 11:31 AM)richliga Wrote:  But how long back do they save those cctv stuff? When watching another british tv series Waking the dead... they often can dig up 10 year old cctv? Dont they ever delete the old ones?

I don't know how long they keep it and I don't care. Why does it matter?

RE: Surveillance Society - richliga - 11-06-2011 11:51 AM

(11-06-2011 11:31 AM)richliga Wrote:  But how long back do they save those cctv stuff? When watching another british tv series Waking the dead... they often can dig up 10 year old cctv? Dont they ever delete the old ones?

(11-06-2011 11:48 AM)Nitrus Wrote:  I don't know how long they keep it and I don't care. Why does it matter?

Im just curious it doesn't really matter how far back they save those stuff.

RE: Surveillance Society - inveniam - 11-11-2011 12:14 AM

I don't mind, really. If I get mugged in a city at some point in my life, hopefully cameras would pick up who it was. I'm a normal boring person, and I have nothing to fear from them.

RE: Surveillance Society - pookster - 11-11-2011 02:34 AM

They are increasing in Oz too. I have no problem with them either. If you don't do anything wrong they're not a problem. Its the same for DNA databases, IMHO.