Spooks Forum
Espionage Novels - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: Espionage Novels (/thread-1749.html)

Espionage Novels - A Cousin - 03-07-2011 02:00 PM

I happened on this article by Stella Rimington, the former DG of MI-5, about her upcoming espionage novel Rip Tide in which she talks about the need for "fiction to tell the truth about espionage."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/ways-with-words/8608316/Ways-With-Words-The-truth-about-spies.html

To while away the time before S10 airs, I have been reading le Carre, beginning with The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and moving on to the Karla trilogy.

In her article, Rimington brings up several novelists: William Le Queux, Graham Greene, Erskin Childers, John Buchan, Somerset Maugham, and Frederick Forsyth. Of course, there are others. I though it would be nice to have a thread where we can talk about all of them. If you have read, or are reading, an espionage novel, I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.

I would also like to hear what you might have to say about the truth in fictional espionage. Does telling the truth take the fun out of it? There is a poll to that end.

RE: Espionage Novels - Tea Lady - 03-07-2011 04:51 PM

Thanks for the link A Cousin.

I am just nearing the end of Stella Rimington's first novel "At Risk." I think it is the first of, now 4 novels, with the main character Liz. I will give Stella the benefit of the doubt, as it is her first novel but it is a little heavy of the cliche. The suave MI6 officer that you can't trust, the non existant love life, the useless police officers who just sit around drinking tea etc etc. Perhaps this is near to the truth though from Stella's experiences.

It is a good read but a sort of holiday spy thriller that will do very nicely round the pool. The spycraft is good though and doesn't go anywhere near James Bond fantasy land.

RE: Espionage Novels - Silktie - 06-07-2011 04:53 PM

There should be a third option on the poll, namely that both has its place.

Personally, for the most part I prefer it to be as authentic as possible. That's why I love John le Carre so much; his spies aren't superheroes. Stephen Hunter has also written a very good spy novel, Tapestry of Spies, which seems close to reality for the time period it takes place in.

But I think there is also room for the over-the-top, glitzy James Bond type of spy novel and movie. It's fun, it's entertaining, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. And I enjoy reading one of those every once in a while as well. I know it's not realistic, and so does most other people probably. That's why it's called 'fiction' after all.

RE: Espionage Novels - Naivety - 06-07-2011 09:08 PM

I read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, because it seemed essential background research for the next Spooks series. I loved it for being gritty and dark. It was certainly in a class of its own.

But I agree with Silktie, that sometimes a pacy but far fetched thriller is just as good.

I read a Ken Follett book recently called Hornet Flight which was about espionage in WW2. It was very readable but at the same time seemed to be based on decent research. I like a novel to teach me something I didn't know before, but I don't need it to be a Booker Prize winner.

RE: Espionage Novels - A Cousin - 07-07-2011 04:47 AM

(03-07-2011 04:51 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I am just nearing the end of Stella Rimington's first novel "At Risk." I think it is the first of, now 4 novels, with the main character Liz.

This is a new genre for me. If I learn nothing else from starting this thread its that Rimington has 4 novels out! I had no idea!

Has anyone else read her later novels for comparison?
(06-07-2011 09:08 PM)Naivety Wrote:  I read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, because it seemed essential background research for the next Spooks series. I loved it for being gritty and dark. It was certainly in a class of its own.

I did the same thing for the same reason. I am convinced that Alec White in S9 was a subtle tip of the hat to Alec Leamas. I enjoyed it, I have now moved onto Tinker, Tailor... which I find to be even better. It is a much more lush novel in plot as well as character. le Carre takes his time in it. I have had some difficulty keeping the characters straight in my mind but with the help of the upcoming movie casting, I'm getting better. That and a great chapter in which Smiley reminisces about all of their histories and personalities.

RE: Espionage Novels - Silktie - 07-07-2011 11:02 AM

(07-07-2011 04:47 AM)A Cousin Wrote:  I did the same thing for the same reason. I am convinced that Alec White in S9 was a subtle tip of the hat to Alec Leamas. I enjoyed it, I have now moved onto Tinker, Tailor... which I find to be even better. It is a much more lush novel in plot as well as character. le Carre takes his time in it. I have had some difficulty keeping the characters straight in my mind but with the help of the upcoming movie casting, I'm getting better. That and a great chapter in which Smiley reminisces about all of their histories and personalities.

It's interesting that you say that. The Spy Who Came In From the Cold is usually the le Carre book that gets mentioned on lists of the greatest spy novels ever, never the others.

Yet I agree with A Cousin that Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is a better book, and I think Smiley's People is possibly even better than Tinker, Tailor.

RE: Espionage Novels - Tea Lady - 12-07-2011 08:58 PM

Just another little article from Stella who seems to be doing the rounds at the moment with her new book coming out. Her book was just like an episode of Spooks IMO so I'm not quite understanding her comment at the end. Smile

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/81514,people,news,mi5-boss-stella-rimington-lusts-for-life-of-octopussy

RE: Espionage Novels - A Cousin - 13-07-2011 01:46 AM

(12-07-2011 08:58 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Her book was just like an episode of Spooks IMO so I'm not quite understanding her comment at the end. Smile

Haha! That's funny! And Bond is like real life? Ah, well, there's no such thing as "bad" press. Wink
(07-07-2011 11:02 AM)Silktie Wrote:  It's interesting that you say that. The Spy Who Came In From the Cold is usually the le Carre book that gets mentioned on lists of the greatest spy novels ever, never the others.

I think that is becasue it is short, accessible and easy to follow. It's a great book. I really enjoyed it. But, for me, Tinker, Tailor... has more meat, somehow. The characterizations alone are worth the read.
(06-07-2011 09:08 PM)Naivety Wrote:  I read a Ken Follett book recently called Hornet Flight which was about espionage in WW2. It was very readable but at the same time seemed to be based on decent research.

Was that your first Follett espionage novel? I have not read any of them. Its a new genre for me.

RE: Espionage Novels - Silktie - 13-07-2011 05:50 AM

(12-07-2011 08:58 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Just another little article from Stella who seems to be doing the rounds at the moment with her new book coming out. Her book was just like an episode of Spooks IMO so I'm not quite understanding her comment at the end. Smile

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/81514,people,news,mi5-boss-stella-rimington-lusts-for-life-of-octopussy

Aww, she's just miffed that Harry's not a girl. Tongue

And re Ken Follett, his Eye of the Needle is generally thought the best of his spy genre books. I read it years ago and can't remember a thing, so it's on my list to re-read soon.