Spooks Forum
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 10 (/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion (/thread-1975.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Lilith - 24-10-2011 09:15 AM

So I've come out of lurkdom just to say that I thought the last episode was perfect, even though the Harry/Ruth lover inside me didn't like the ending one bit.
I adored the glass wall, and I cry every time I rewatch it.
I just don't get it why people who have always seen the big picture now get caught up in details. Tom was only seen for a few seconds, so what, even I cheered though I don't like Tom that much. Harry going back to his office ... it's the only thing he has left, isn't it. It's what Ruth did when she was completely destroyed, she kept working.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Belle - 24-10-2011 09:24 AM

I think you must respect the fact that there are people who watched the show especially for H/R, the writers made sure that viewers could invest a lot of empathy towards those two and PFs and NWs acting made 'longing' for some happiness for them anyones good right. I think it's normal when you watch a show that you like, witch is supported by good acting, that you are inclined to 'love/feel for' some of the characters, that doesn't mean that you are blind to the other aspects of the show.
(with all due respect)

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - pookster - 24-10-2011 09:27 AM

A terrific and fitting finish and so Spooks like. Heart wrenching. Harry looking at the blood on his hand gets me as well as the names on the wall. I also think Harry going back to work was the only thing he could do otherwise he'd be in Tring in a week.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - harrbd - 24-10-2011 09:47 AM

(24-10-2011 03:29 AM)loladom Wrote:  Another thing I feel disappointed with is that we have all driven ourselves potty over possible plots/clues, symbolgy, hidden meanings etc. which is testament to some of the creativity of the fans! We have given the writers and producers more credit than is deserved.

In the end, the overall plot was weak. The entire series had week threats of the day to build up an intriguing story arc which in the end was pretty much a non story. All the revelations were predicted on here after ep3. They gave us too many clues, too early on. We were all looking for something deeper and more complicated as a result. I felt exactly the same about the Lucas North saga.

Please don't think I'm taking anything away from the fabulous and at times beautiful acting and directing, because I'm not. Those scenes were heartbreaking thanks to PF&NW. I've read many times a happy ending wouldn't be possible because Spooks isn't a soap opera, but the overall purpose of this story arc seems to be to conclude the H&R story by (predictably) killing Ruth and leaving Harry in despair. Doesn't get more soapy than that. Only PF&NW rescued it from that. It in no way ends the show. Ruth left before, Harry has been alone, crushed and heartbroken before.

Another thing being that they made Harry look a bit of a pleb by believing Elena about the plane. It was Ruth, not Harry who averted disaster. I suppose I wanted the show to end with Harry the hero or H&R together. Not this empty despair.

All too 'meh' for me. I can't even find it in my heart to use a real adjective. Perhaps I need to step back and give it some time. The problem is, I just can't bear the thought of a re-watch.

Well said on all points. Totally agree on the plot, the acting, Harry being made to look stupid, no end to the show as MI5 under Harry goes on etc. Very depressing and actually life isn't always like that even for MI5 officers.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - yorkshiretyke - 24-10-2011 09:48 AM

I decided to sleep/think before I came and posted my opinions...

While I am gutted at the fact that Ruth has died, I have to say, for me, last nights episode was brilliant...we had twists, double crossing, declarations..I thought I would come out the other side crying my heart out, I didnt..I actually thought job well done.

The good bits - Ilya being totally innocent, while I guessed Elena was a baddie I thought he would be too. The HS, so funny! Ruth and Harry say no more. I even liked the last few scenes when harry was grieving/falling apart as they tied the 10 years together. Going to the house; seeing what he could of had. The wall; that scene was vital as it tied all the characters over the last 10 years and said we/he hasen't forgotten them, tragic but essential. Tom; it was fleeting but it told us he was out there working and intouch with Harry. Finally back in the office; this is where SHP belongs, we need him him there.

Not so good...would the CIA nip through a wood on the way to the airport haha. What happened to Harry's beaten face? What was with the milk? the black coat? Ruth dying, while I have stated above the need for the grieving process so we the audiance could see the past characters, there is no reason that H&R couldn't have done those scenes together to say goodbye to Tarik/Erin. Plus we were told that the last episode would tie up all the ends so that we know spooks is over, it did not, if anything it made me hopeful for more..bring back Spooks!

Finally, I can understand why people are gutted over this ending, (I dont believe everyone doesn't secretly enjoy a happy ending) but for me this series was fantastic and felt like the start of Spooks rather than the end (possibly why people are upset)..I for one will not be cancelling my DVD order..

Long live Spooks....and fanfiction!

p.s the person Happyending, shame on you!

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Gillymac - 24-10-2011 10:02 AM

(24-10-2011 08:58 AM)JHyde Wrote:  But life, and this show, has never been about just desserts. If it was then Danny wouldn't have died after being so brave, Wes still have both his parents, Jo would never have been raped, Zaf would not have died after being so alone in fear and agony and yes, Ruth would still be analysing.

It is, as you say, heartbreaking that Ruth died believing that she wouldn't get a happy ending. And therein lies the power.

Wonderfully put JHyde - Here's the thing - theres a lot of weeping and wailing about H&R here on the dedicated forums, but the bottom line is that the H&R 'thing' was never the point of spooks. Harry was (and is) the hook on which everything else hangs - he always has been, right from the start. Everyone, bar Harry, has always been fair game.

Nicola Walker is a wonderful actress, however series 1, 6 and 7 didn't suffer from her absence. Indeed, for many of us, series 7 was truly exceptional and a highlight of the run. (Personally, I would never have brought her back, (or I would have killed her in S8 ep1) - I would have let it remain as 'something wonderful that was never said')

At it's height, seven and a half million people tuned into see spooks, and I'm sorry, just because the shippers are probably the most voluable collective of fans, it doesn't make you the majority, nor does it make you right. Looking at the vast majority of responses across the various media outlets this morning reaction to the finale is OVERWHELMINGLY positive. I'm sorry, but it is.

I couldn't be happier - if spooks had to end, this was the way to do it. Sir Harry is free of all his baggage now and can keep on carrying on - it's what he does.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - bruwitch2 - 24-10-2011 10:21 AM

Perfect but I wish Ruth carry the annoying Harry with her.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - pennyfeather - 24-10-2011 10:36 AM

Just this minute finished watching the final episode. Am in a state of utter shock,despair,anguish. Now that was real tragedy which is extremely apt at the moment since im sitting an exam soon on Tragedy in literature and this is just setting my mind abalze - Im just trying to reconcile myself to what has happened.
I want to remind myself that tragedy has redemption and optimism and yes this last episode certainly has that; but for now, this mintue it is all far too personal for me and the final moments so raw in my mind. Harry,Ruth! sorry im blathering but my mind is going crazy.
I know that this is the best wat to end it, the most affecting and poignant and certainly an ending that will remain in our memories and linger in our hearts. This ending really makes them both so incredibly noble.
Thank you writers for having the courage to write such an ending.
Favourite moment: names on the wall....R. Evershed....*tear*
Okay its all getting to me now...signing off...long live spooks, the best show i think one could ever hope to watch of its kind..

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - The Grid - 24-10-2011 11:02 AM

We are all going to have different opinions regarding Harry and Ruth, but I agree that it would have betrayed what the show has been all about if they both got together at the end and lived in the house with the green door. Their partnership together has always been like a fairytale. It would be perfect if it ever happened, but the point was it was never going to...it was always a relationship that was always going 'to be left unsaid'. To me, the ending was just pure perfection.

Harry's life has always been dedicated to serving his country and that's what has defined him as a character for all these years. He's a true professional who hides his personal feelings to do the best job he can do. Tragedy after tragedy, Harry comes back up fighting to serve his country and in the final ever episode, he had to deal with the biggest tragedy of them all (losing Ruth) but that final scene shown him regaining his strength and maintaining his identity (that of a true professional) and that final phrase 'Harry Pearce' emphasised that he had not lost his sense of self and he still has that identity - that he'll do anything to serve his country (no matter what he loses). It was also an acknowledgment by Harry, that this job never has a happy ending. I think looking at that memorial wall really emphasised that.

You could argue that Tom and Zoe had 'happy endings' but just because they didn't die, doesn't mean their endings were happy ones. They had to leave everything behind that they ever knew and enter a world that they just weren't familiar with.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - zpelland - 24-10-2011 11:05 AM

My general thought is that it is the end but Harry pretending that it isn't. I have to admit I have hoping for a happy ending and that definitively wasn't that, it was the saddest thing I have ever seen on tv but is was to best way to end the show. If you want to kill something you kill the heart.

Series 10 episode 6 Spoiler: show
Ruth died in a good way. Her death wasn't unmeaningful like Colin or Tariq which would have been insulting and she didn't died hero like all the field agent wich was totally non Ruth ?

Like Ruth said «We were never meant to have those things » Spooks was never meant for a happy ending but it was made for incredible tv. Last episode was incredible.