Spooks Forum
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 10 (/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion (/thread-1975.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Nitrus - 24-10-2011 03:48 PM

(24-10-2011 03:45 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  I didn't expect her to tell me anything. I expected her to say, "I'm really sorry, I don't want to spoil it" or some such. I couldn't resist asking all the same, like a damn fool. My question was "will you make me cry in Spooks aswell?". Her reply was an instant "No" and said, you will have to believe me, with such comfort and reassurance that I was completely taken in. She added that I would be cheering. Sorry, but I can't help but feel hurt.

Hire a lawyer, seek compensation.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - molecatcher - 24-10-2011 03:57 PM

DogSoSmall When you say "The other thing that I can't stop feeling really upset about, as pathetic as it may sound, is that Nicola misled me about the ending when I met her. She could see how much it meant to me. It might be an actor's job to manipulate our feelings on the screen, but to do it face to face, real person to real person, well it just feels quite unkind." you can't surely believe she was saying anything other than what she felt was the truth. Her character Ruth accepted her ultimate sacrifice because when you truly love someone body and soul you'll die for them, fact, whereas sitting in a little house in suburbia with Harry would not prove her love in quite the same way! Nicola would no doubt also have felt that Harry surviving and returning to the Grid made the ending "OK" because he's been the kingpin in Spooks from the very beginning and she'd think that the most important outcome for all of us. She's quoted as saying somewhere, it's an adult ending and that's certainly what we got.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - lazyme63 - 24-10-2011 03:59 PM

I have never cried so much over a tv programme in my life! I tried so hard not to cry (mainly because I didn't want my boyfriend to think I was a sad loser!) but that just made it worse, and at the end and sobbed my little heart out for a good hour or so!

I was angry at first at the way it ended, but looking back and having calmed down somewhat, I can see why they've done it. Killing characters off is what Kudos does best. I wish I hadn't been so sure that there would be a happy ending now. I think it made me even more disappointed.

At the end of the day, as depressed as I am that Ruth was killed and Harry is now left in total despair, I do think it was a very fitting ending. It's a shame that they appeared to have cut some stuff. I saw on twitter that they cut some of the lines and also a kiss - I wonder if that's what Ian Wylie meant when he said - "And we await a kiss" - thought it was a bit funny that he'd write that when she was dead. I think they could have left that in with no harm done. But anyway.

Now spooks is over I will slowly move on with my life, perhaps stopping to buy the DVD just in case they do decide to put on an alternative ending/deleted scenes :-) In the mean time, I hope Peter and Nicola get plenty of tv shows so I still get to see their amazing talent.

Thank you for 10 amazing years of Spooks.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - DogSoSmall - 24-10-2011 04:07 PM

I realise this will get me banned, but I can't resist.

(naughty words)

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Ceridwyn2 - 24-10-2011 04:15 PM

The thing is, the HR stuff for most of the series was never scripted, but rather something Peter and Nicola made up and chose to integrate into the show. The writers did pick up on their natural chemistry, but it was never the focus of the series until more recently.

I never expected HR to have a resolved happily ever after ending, because that's not what the show's been about. There are loose ends because nothing in the security services is tied up in a neat little bow. Yes, Harry returned to work, but for who knows how long? Life goes on, and a Calum said, 'Bad people out to kill us', yes, he's right. In real life, needs must go on; there will always be something else around the corner. So, yes, it's fitting that things on the Grid wouldn't have a spcific definitive end. It's not like the HS and the JIC are shutting down Section D - that would be a lot more definitive. Some thing were resolved, others left hanging. I expect that.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Sir Harry - 24-10-2011 04:16 PM

DogSoSmall, I have just spat my tea all over the computer after reading your last post!

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - daphne - 24-10-2011 04:24 PM

(24-10-2011 02:58 PM)Gillymac Wrote:  Relax. Breathe. It's only a television show. Nobody is really dead...
*Runs and hides*

Wink
interesting question..

Spooks is only a tv show.
and it isn't only a tv show.

most plays are initially meant for entertainment, as well- yet there are those that endure.. for decades. centuries (!). that continue to engage and intrigue us- for a reason.

when drama reaches for quality- (as these writers/actors/directors/camera, editing, ? crew certainly did)- I believe it can transcend genre- in this case, "the boob tube" as it's, um, referred to in the land of the bumbling Americans (where we lose packages Wink)

take away the snazzy computers, car chases, weapons and current-event plot twists, and you still have great, human drama in Spooks- brought to life by extremely gifted performers-

bla bla bla

but really.. Silba
just sayin'

I don't see anything wrong with becoming "attached" to Harry Pearce, for ex, as to any well-developed/imagined character in a favorite play or novel..

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - redlyn - 24-10-2011 04:52 PM

There's a lot of mumbling and moaning over the pointlessness of Tom coming back. Tom was a gift to us from the Spooks writers to say Thank you for ten years of watching. Simple. It rather elegantly brought us on a circular path and to say that there should have been more to his scene is pointless and overstating it. He was there to clear up a mess because he was still trusted by Harry. That much was implicit in his being asked. We didn't need a scene between them or to see the 'hit'. We get it. Five seconds was just fine, thank you very much Spooks writers.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Blackcoat - 24-10-2011 05:12 PM

As I'm based in Asia, I watched the last episode Monday morning. It was so hard to concentrate at office afterwards! Yes, I was depressed as much as impressed by beautiful execution of finale.
Although I found the last episode was in quite higher standard, it was difficult to say “Yes” if I was asked whether I liked it or not, especially this morning.
When you are attached to certain character, it’s not easy to accept her death. I knew I needed time.

Then I visited this thread, reading various responses both positive & negative. There were anger, despair and celebration etc… It somehow calmed me down. Some people had similar reactions as myself that comforted me, while other different interpretations enlightened me.
I so appreciate the forum more than ever. Reading comments healed my depression and sense of loss. It's already Tuesday here and I completed 2nd watch. This time I was greatly moved rather than shocked. It was indeed the saddest ending for TV series I’ve ever come across. But thanks to you all I can now appreciate its sad but beautiful ending.

And I agree, redlyn! Having Tom at finale was really a gift. Well done!

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - LINDA - 24-10-2011 05:19 PM

Doe's anyone else think the names on the memorial wall was a lovely touch, a reminder of all the wonderful characters we have loved( or hated ) over the last ten years.I agree over Tom Quinns brief appearance just enough to remind us of the begining.