Spooks Forum
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 10 (/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion (/thread-1975.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Nitsirk - 25-10-2011 06:34 PM

It was still NEVER SAID!

LOL.
Actually, I thought the ending was very appropriate to the tone of Series 1 through 10. Loved the scene at the memorial. It was a beautifully elegant way to recall everything and everyone from the very beginning of the series. Definitely brought tears to my eyes, especially with Harry having to struggle against his grief to raise his eyes and look at Ruth's name there.

I'll miss Spooks like crazy.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - neuro - 25-10-2011 06:44 PM

(25-10-2011 08:20 AM)Kazters Wrote:  sasha was standing watching them try to save ruth he looked really gutted about it!
yes hes really between a rock and a hard place I suspect killing a fellow KGB officer is a firing squad offense - ironically he may be better staying in the west.
(25-10-2011 12:27 PM)MI4½ AGENT Wrote:  OK I'm back to wall again (last time I promise).... why was Ruth's name up there anyway. I thought she was Advisor to the Home Secretary and didn't work for MI5.

Well would you try and stop Harry and the rest of section D putting Ruths name on the memorial.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - LV R/H - 25-10-2011 06:50 PM

I'm yet to give my opinion on the board of what i thought of the episode. (apologies if i repeat anthing thats already been said i haven't read all the posts)

Sorry Nitrus but everyone has their own opinions and I am in the camp of that Kudos let the fans down. Tongue

The episode from my own perspective having seen it six times and in 2 variations is that it was a great episode up to the point of Ruth's death and beyond. Not because of the acting, that as ever was wonderful by Peter and Nicola; but from my point of view it was a predictable; same old, same old ending. Didn't a 10 year finale deserve better? I do believe the Harry and Ruth fans after 9 years of dedication deserved some pay off. I'm not saying skipping along; but i dont think it would have killed them to have given some happiness either before she died or her injured but alive.

The medical flaws in this episode drive me barmy as Ruth would not have died from those injuries and could have been kept alive by CPR until the helicopter arrived. They injected her in the wrong place (they actually didn't need to inject her for that wound). Plus I'm not convinced she would have suffered a collapsed lung given the placement of her wound.

Although I hated the death I did find the end heartbreaking, and liked the memorial wall. It saddens me, (make that despairs me) to think of Harry alone and with nothing but a job he no longer wanted to do. That he and Ruth as others have said got no intimacy; no kiss, or a vocalisation of their love.

Are we mean't to believe that these officers will sacrifice themselves day in day out for their country and never get anything back. That in return for their sacrifice they will lead a life of depression, loneliness and devoid of hope.

I think it would have been more realistic for Sasha to have killed Ilya, after all he strangled his mother regardless of who gave him the key.

I loved the music score. But if Kudos think I will ever watch; invest; or buy the S10 DVD, then they are seriously deluded. When they killed Ruth they lost my loyalty and I have been very loyal to them considering how i've been treated by them in recent months. I can no longer watch Spooks now without thinking; "what's the point"

Anyway rant over Smile

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - lazyme63 - 25-10-2011 07:11 PM

(25-10-2011 09:52 AM)JHyde Wrote:  OK, so I am finally back to actually talk about the episode. I've also chatted with my sister, who finally caught up with Spooks after abandoning season 9, which we both hated (mostly). She also loved the ending.

I think I need to watch this episode again because there's some stuff I missed and I actually misinterpreted a few things. I do wonder why no one noticed the missing flight attendant, how Harry managed to get away scot free at the end (I'm guessing Ilya and the HS managed to place the blame on Elena's lot) and how Ilya explained the death of his wife.

But these things aside, it was a magnificent finale. All actors did great and Bharat Nalluri continued his very stylish work - he always knows how to make something interesting or moving. In conjunction with the DP, the lighting and production on this episode was just beautiful, especially in the 'glass and rain scene', as my sister and I are calling it.

Someone earlier on the thread said that it was obvious it was written by two men and that this showed in really negative ways, especially with Ruth's death scene. I disagree with this. I have made criticisms about the work of Vincent and Brackley in the past and I stand by those, but this episode was wonderful and I do not think it was 'obviously written by two guys'. There was subtlety and all good things. I am especially fond of Ruth's line about not being part of an audience - flawless. One of my favourite lines in the whole show.

This brings me neatly to Ruth. She has been my favourite character across the whole show and I wept when she died. I cannot believe that anyone would believe Elena's remark about her not being good with people. She was kind and loving to the last and given that I have spent a lot of time pretending to be in Ruth's head (thanks to the Ruth's Diary project) it felt like a very personal loss.

I loved that in this, the last episode, Harry and Ruth were a team. It was Ruth who saw the flaw in the scenario and Harry who proved it for sure. They have been a formidable pairing and I liked that this was evident at the last.

It is true that once Sascha picked up the glass it was obvious what was coming next but I managed to block that and just enjoy the next few minutes while Ruth said her piece. A lot of people are angry because they didn't get their 'moments of happiness'. I think they had that. Ruth said what she needed to say and Harry smiled his assent. Ruth's heartbreaking final few moments essentially summarise why she had to die, as she put it, they were not lives she and Harry were meant to have. This is the flip side to Callum's statement at the end, that 'bad people want to kill us'. Between the two of them they got the show's fundamental message neatly expressed.

I agree that it was right to have Harry alone at the end. It has always been much more poignant to have him being the one who survived while all these young things died heroically. He has been stoic in his service and it is also how he copes. His return to the Grid was the only option for him. I don't think he ever intended to buy the house - he just wanted to see it.

Essentially I was very happy with the ending. I do understand why people are upset, but I believe strongly that a happy ending would have felt false. In fact, I voted against it on the poll I posed on the HR thread months ago. I will miss the show terribly but I am glad that the show has ended so well, for lack of a better phrasing.

I completely agree with everything you've said. Worded it perfectly.

I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that Ruth is dead and actually would like to watch the episode again fully. It's not put me off watching spooks as I felt it would at first, but I do wonder how much it will affect watching the earlier episodes (especially 5.3-5) when I know what is eventually going to happen.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Nitrus - 25-10-2011 07:13 PM

Can everyone just stop playing the victim and acting like Kudos has wronged them, it's really annoying. Kudos doesn't owe you anything, if you didn't like the ending then fine, that's your opinion.

Just don't start going on about how you're not going to buy the DVD or you'll boycott this that and the other. It's not needed and it doesn't make any sense.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Gazelle - 25-10-2011 08:11 PM

(25-10-2011 06:50 PM)LV R/H Wrote:  I think it would have been more realistic for Sasha to have killed Ilya, after all he strangled his mother regardless of who gave him the key.

I agree, or even if he did go after Harry then Dimitri and Erin should have been hot on his heels.

(25-10-2011 06:50 PM)LV R/H Wrote:  I can no longer watch Spooks now without thinking; "what's the point"

And I understand totally where you're coming from with this too. Previously there's always been the hope there would be a happy resoution one day, now that's gone it's all too sad!

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Carly - 25-10-2011 08:15 PM

The fact I didnt like the last 10 mins of ep. 6 isn't going to stop me watching 10 series worth of boxsets.
I've not totally lost faith in Kudos and stuff.. I still love them!

We must all worship the boxset! Lets face it.. It's the closest thing we've got to Spooks now.. (And my Spooks mug) Wink

P.S - I think my mourning of Spooks is subsiding already. Which I feel guilty about. Someone slap me please..

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Nitrus - 25-10-2011 08:17 PM

* Nitrus slaps Carly

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Gazelle - 25-10-2011 08:24 PM

Not sure if anyone's touched on this recently but I still can't understand why Calum and the team didn't do a better job of analysing the CCTV footage that Tariq came across that led to him getting killed. Surely Calum wouldn't have abandoned the analysis the moment he recognised the CIA woman? If he'd followed it through then one of them would surely have recognised Elena which would have avoided all this heartache. Bit of a flaw in the plot if you ask me!

RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Carly - 25-10-2011 08:30 PM

(25-10-2011 08:17 PM)Nitrus Wrote:  * Nitrus slaps Carly

Thank you darling.. Haha!