Spooks Forum
[Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce (/thread-209.html)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 29-11-2009 11:36 AM

almh, I blame you for this mess!

I thought about that origin actually, it's one of my favourite names for that very reason.

Returning to the subject of the thread we love, I wanted to talk about Harry and his relationships with other people on the Grid, especially Ros which we've touched on some pages back. I've always loved that his relationship is so different with everyone on the Grid right now. Ruth is romantic, Lucas is this affectionate, but uneasy truce, and with Ros I think he has a great deal more in common than has been written into the show as yet. In 8.5, when justifying what happened to Mena, she does not hesitate although unwilling when she admits "Yes, it was worth it". In a similar moment, I could really see Harry doing exactly the same thing, maybe phrased a little differently. I really think Harry sees himself in Ros, in a way he hasn't with most of the agents who've worked for him over the span of the show. Their instinct is quite similar.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 29-11-2009 03:13 PM

Harry seems to be softening as he gets older, or maybe as he falls deeper in love with Ruth... If you compare his relationship with Tom, Adam and Ros (as his team leaders) respectively, there are differences in how he handled them. With Tom it was very much a professional relationship right through - I never got the impression that Harry considered Tom a friend. He had great respect for him on a professional level, yes, but he was quite hard on him as soon as personal issues came into play. His relationship with Adam starts out similarly, but changes over time to a more personal relationship, I think probably after Fiona dies. Harry takes an interest in Wes and cares for Adam on a personal level a great deal at the end, as witnessed by the very personal revenge he takes for Adam's death.
With Ros I think they had to earn each other's respect. If I were Ros, I would have some residual guilt towards Harry for selling the team out to Yalta, and maybe even for Ruth having to leave. Harry, on the other hand, was made to feel responsible for Ros' father getting a long jail term (although why Harry feels bad about this baffles me a bit, the guy totally deserves it). So with these two, I get the impression that they have thoroughly weighed each other and liked what they found. I think you're right JHyde that Harry sees something of himself in Ros, perhaps the extent to which they can switch off their human side when necessary. I think Harry has become genuinely fond of Ros in a paternal sort of way, and is a little more protective of her than he had been with the others as a result.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 29-11-2009 03:28 PM

It's a good way of putting it - they have thoroughly weighed each other, and not found the other wanting. Neither of them trust easily at all, even more so than the average Spook we've met on the show. The word paternalistic has been used about the Harry/Ros dynamic more than once this season, but I'm not convinced it's that. He's protective certainly, but not paternal toward her. And Ros is scarcely one to be fathered.

It's just this great mutual respect based on intellect and instinct. Ros was a wounded animal when she came to MI5, but I think you're right - -they've both let the other down. I really do think a lot of it this season may well be based on the friendly relationship they have in real life. They really do come across as being good mates, and have a wonderful chemistry that translates on screen. I often think of that scene in 6.8 that saves the episode, where they're both so dry and yet very caring toward each other. Ultimately, I suspect Harry actually ended up thinking btter of her because of the Yalta incident, and since she returned in 7.1 it's just become stronger.

Harry's always cared for his team members. He was certainly protective of Zoe and Jo, and I love how when it was just him and Malcolm their interaction was so much less formal and more like equals. Those small Harry/Malcolm moments, especially after Ruth left in season 5, are some of my favourites. I do agree that Tom was not like how he became with Adam, and with Lucas there is also a different, quite guilty dynamic. For someone who does a very isolating job, Harry doesn't isolate himself from his team. He is involved in them much more than another in his position might be. I really admire him for that. It makes it hard not to believe how terrible those big decisions are to send them into danger.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - lwhite53 - 29-11-2009 04:33 PM

(29-11-2009 03:28 PM)JHyde Wrote:  It's just this great mutual respect based on intellect and instinct. Ros was a wounded animal when she came to MI5, but I think you're right - -they've both let the other down. I really do think a lot of it this season may well be based on the friendly relationship they have in real life. They really do come across as being good mates, and have a wonderful chemistry that translates on screen. I often think of that scene in 6.8 that saves the episode, where they're both so dry and yet very caring toward each other. Ultimately, I suspect Harry actually ended up thinking btter of her because of the Yalta incident, and since she returned in 7.1 it's just become stronger.

One of the deleted scenes from 7.2 shows them in a bar after
Spoiler: show
Adams death, discussing him. It's clear they are both hurting and they're discussing their feelings with each other.
I wondered why that scene had been cut as it really showed a new dynamic in the Harry/Ros relationship.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Tea Lady - 29-11-2009 04:51 PM

[/quote]

Adams death, discussing him. It's clear they are both hurting and they're discussing their feelings with each other.
I wondered why that scene had been cut as it really showed a new dynamic in the Harry/Ros relationship.
[/quote]

?? I watched 7.2 the other day on Watch TV and that scene is in there
where Ros says give me Section D to Harry
It was not deleted. I am sure.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - lwhite53 - 29-11-2009 05:27 PM

[/quote]

?? I watched 7.2 the other day on Watch TV and that scene is in there
where Ros says give me Section D to Harry
It was not deleted. I am sure.
[/quote]

That was one version of the scene. The deleted one has a much different tone and different dialogue. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 29-11-2009 07:24 PM

(29-11-2009 11:36 AM)JHyde Wrote:  almh, I blame you for this mess!

Oi, don't blame me! Tongue It's not a mess... is it???

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 30-11-2009 05:43 AM

No, I merely referred to the Ruth-less/ruthless mess!

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 30-11-2009 06:34 AM

Any mention of Ruth and Harry together cannot be considered a mess in my opinion Tongue

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - arwen - 30-11-2009 07:04 AM

Have'nt seen season 8 yet, so not qualified to make comment, but I enjoy immensely everyones evaluation of Harry, [especially Silktie & JHyde].... He is the most charismatic & interesting character I have seen in years.