Spooks Forum
[Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce (/thread-209.html)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Nitrus - 04-12-2009 10:36 PM

(04-12-2009 08:12 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  Can we discuss Harry's Diary here? Or does it need it's own thread?

My personal feeling is that it should have it's own thread, but that's because I haven't got the diary and therefore most of the conversation surrounding it will freeze me out.

So to be respectful to other members who don't know the contents, there should be a separate thread for it, we don't want to isolate people. Smile

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 05-12-2009 07:39 AM

That's so funny, I was actually thinking on the way here I wanted to talk about it openly. So I'll create a new thread for it in the General Discussion section.

Anything really newsworthy was in spoiler tags.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 05-12-2009 09:47 AM

Yes, with "GO BUY HARRY'S DIARY IT IS AMAZING" written around it every time Big Grin I was so plugging his diary - but with good reason I hasten to add. It does allow you to better understand his decisions on the show if you know his past.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 05-12-2009 01:33 PM

As season 8 progresses, it becomes more and more evident to me that Harry is much more sympathetic and supportive of his officers' emotional state than he has been in previous seasons. In 8.6 he talks to Ros about Jo, and Lucas about Sarah in a very caring manner. He's given Lucas way more leeway with Sarah than he would have allowed anyone else in previous seasons. Perhaps the events of 8.1 got to him more than we thought. Or could there be other reasons for his softer approach?

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - lwhite53 - 05-12-2009 03:16 PM

(05-12-2009 01:33 PM)Silktie Wrote:  As season 8 progresses, it becomes more and more evident to me that Harry is much more sympathetic and supportive of his officers' emotional state than he has been in previous seasons. In 8.6 he talks to Ros about Jo, and Lucas about Sarah in a very caring manner. He's given Lucas way more leeway with Sarah than he would have allowed anyone else in previous seasons. Perhaps the events of 8.1 got to him more than we thought. Or could there be other reasons for his softer approach?

Yes, he's definitely grown "softer" and more approachable over the 8 series. It's not that he cares about his people more (I don't think), just that he's willing to deal with them more humanistically and directly. I'm thinking specifically of the ep where Danny has to murder the scientist on the boat. All the "caring about Danny" stuff in that ep came from Adam, with Harry in the background listening. In S7 and 8, it's Harry providing all the hands-on care for his people. And he's definitely developed personal bonds with Ros and Lucas that he didn't allow himself in earlier series. Maybe he's just getting older and wiser. And having Ruth around probably helps, too.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 05-12-2009 05:29 PM

I agree with having Ruth around has helped - he definitely is softer this series. I think he always cared for his team, just now he is showing it more clearly through his actions.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 05-12-2009 06:09 PM

I'm not sure it's necessarily as the show has progressed - I don't think Harry was exactly caring and sharing in season 6, for example.

I think part of it is that he's still finding his feet with this new team. Lucas hasn't really been back more than six months in real time (at best), Ros has a lot to deal with and she's never been a soft touch, he's inevitably gentle with Ruth by and large not least because of the events of 8.1.

He's sad and old and lonely and the body count just keeps getting higher. And however much we'd like to see it, I'd be surprised if Harry could ever really retire.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 05-12-2009 06:11 PM

I doubt he would either - I think it's pretty much all he has left now, and every body reminds him of this.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - lwhite53 - 05-12-2009 06:35 PM

(05-12-2009 06:09 PM)JHyde Wrote:  He's sad and old and lonely and the body count just keeps getting higher. And however much we'd like to see it, I'd be surprised if Harry could ever really retire.

But he could certainly get some help!Undecided One of Harry's issues, viv a vis this series, is that he's so short of agents he has to step in and take on roles others used to fill. No wonder the guy's tired -- he's trying to do stuff 2-3 people used to do.Thud

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Harry love! - 05-12-2009 08:37 PM

I think he's definatly showing some more concern for his people lately. Not sure what caused that in my mind it started with the death of Adam who he seemed very close with. After that he did had a drink with Ros and also seemed concerned about her. I think the events of ep 8.1 and Ruths return might have caused him to care even more about them but I really think it started with Adam's death and him telling Wes his father was dead which was a heartbreaking scene imo