Spooks Forum
[Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce (/thread-209.html)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 06-12-2009 08:41 PM

That may well be true. PF has said in interviews that he doesn't find Harry too much of a stretch for him to play, that there are things he shares with him. Certainly I think some of Peter's mannerisms have become Harry staples.

We probably shouldn't indulge this theory too much though, it will only spur some of us on to wanting to meet the poor man. Truthfully, I'd never have the guts to talk to him, mainly because I'd feel so silly. I mean what do you say that hasn't already been said? He'd be just as uncomfortable as me. I know what it's like to have someone gush about you to your face out of all proportion, and it's really weird.

He's meant to be really lovely though.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - lwhite53 - 06-12-2009 08:47 PM

(06-12-2009 08:41 PM)JHyde Wrote:  That may well be true. PF has said in interviews that he doesn't find Harry too much of a stretch for him to play, that there are things he shares with him. Certainly I think some of Peter's mannerisms have become Harry staples.

We probably shouldn't indulge this theory too much though, it will only spur some of us on to wanting to meet the poor man. Truthfully, I'd never have the guts to talk to him, mainly because I'd feel so silly. I mean what do you say that hasn't already been said? He'd be just as uncomfortable as me. I know what it's like to have someone gush about you to your face out of all proportion, and it's really weird.

He's meant to be really lovely though.

Actors deal with that all the time. They just smile politely . . . and get another drink.Tongue

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 06-12-2009 08:49 PM

Then he's definitely crossing over with Harry!

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 06-12-2009 09:36 PM

LOL!!!

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 07-12-2009 06:18 AM

Yeah, I agree it's probably better to keep a healthy distinction between actor and character, if only for the fact that many actors appear to be such douche-bags. Luckily for us the wonderful Mr. Firth is by all accounts a lovely, funny, warm and humble man. I always find it telling when an actors' co-stars can't stop gushing about them. If they can still admire and truly like him after spending so many hours under often stressful conditions with him, he must be really nice!

Back on topic, I think the fact that PF succeeded in doing so much with his initial few scenes in the first few episodes, have led to the writers expanding the role so much since then.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 07-12-2009 06:49 AM

I agree - he showed what an amazing actor he was in the first series, when he had next to no scenes, and now he's a integral part of the show.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 07-12-2009 07:05 AM

He's gone from being the bit part, the split comic relief/happy warrior guy to being the soul and conscience of the team. And Ruth's the heart Smile

(It's OK to talk a bit about Peter Firth. He's Harry, after all.)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 08-12-2009 05:58 AM

It's interesting to listen to PF talking on the season 3 DVD extras about how he plays Harry - saying his Mum told him that he should smile more after the first season, and as a result he plays Harry with more of a twinkle in his eye in season 3. Lol, hooray for PF's Mum!

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 08-12-2009 06:46 AM

I always laughed at that bit in 7.6 with Qualtrough when he said that, in rugby, kicking of goal was the sort of thing Yorkshiremen did. Mainly because Peter Firth is a Yorkshireman, especially when he says "bastards", my favourite word for Harry to say.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 08-12-2009 07:38 AM

(08-12-2009 05:58 AM)Silktie Wrote:  It's interesting to listen to PF talking on the season 3 DVD extras about how he plays Harry - saying his Mum told him that he should smile more after the first season, and as a result he plays Harry with more of a twinkle in his eye in season 3. Lol, hooray for PF's Mum!

LOL!!!