Spooks Forum
[Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce (/thread-209.html)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 14-12-2009 08:55 PM

Because... I dunno! I've made one now though! Big Grin

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 14-12-2009 08:58 PM

OK, back to Harry now. Because we can't stay away from him for long.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 15-12-2009 04:44 PM

Maybe there's another angle to the impact events in 8.1 had on Harry that could explain his softer approach in season 8. For the first time, perhaps, Harry had to sit there and see the impact his decision had on someone else. Usually, he's making these hard decisions in the cocoon of the Grid, where he is insulated from experiencing the grief these decisions cause other people. But this time, he had to sit there and watch the anguish his 'right decision' caused Ruth - a bird's eye view of the very real human cost of his decision. That would certainly make me think very hard about my own humanity.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 15-12-2009 05:05 PM

That's a really good point - I agree with that. He rarely does see the consequences but in 8.1 it was really in his face, happening to people he cared about, as well as his own life being at stake.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - lwhite53 - 15-12-2009 06:14 PM

Additionally, he was totally unable to do anything about it, as he did in 5.5. I think you may be on to something, Silktie.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 15-12-2009 10:55 PM

I think though, that Harry had been in the field for a very long time before he was made Head of Section D and he knows how his actions often play out. But, as you've pointed out before Silktie, they've not been Ruth.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - lwhite53 - 15-12-2009 11:37 PM

It's hard enough to do the "right thing" and have it adversely affect someone you don't know. To have your decision or action endanger someone you have deep feelings for really is untenable, the quintessential "rock and hard place" dilemma. Even though they both came out of it alive, how does Harry ever reconcile what he did with himself?

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Beatriz - 16-12-2009 10:06 AM

I think he felt better when Ruth told him he wasn't his fault and then he told her he was sorry. He needed both, hearing from Ruth she didn't blame him anymore and to ask herfor forgiveness.
I'm not saying he isn't affected, he is...

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 16-12-2009 04:30 PM

Good point, Beatriz. So Harry now seems to be at the point where as long as Ruth can live with his decisions, he feels he hasn't gone over to the Dark Side yet.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 16-12-2009 08:12 PM

There's nothing wrong with the dark side. We have cookies Wink

I think that's a good point, he needed to know from Ruth that he made the right decision and that she had forgiven him.