Spooks Forum
[Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce (/thread-209.html)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Moonlight - 27-12-2009 12:15 PM

I think he had some good moments, but probably not as many as previously.. Harry is at his best when chewing off either politicians or Americans. I liked the sort of developing love/hate relationship between him and the new H/S, but dont see that developing unless
Spoiler: show
the new H/S was whisked out of the building by fairies..
I also am not sure if the writers are making him oversensitive; not sure if him supposedly crying on the roof really seemed in character.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 27-12-2009 12:19 PM

I think that the bit on the roof was more a sign of how much the last series has had an effect on him - it has damaged and hurt him, and the deaths are stacking up, and Sarah's death was just something that was starting to tip him over the edge. I don't find it believable that he shed tears for Sarah, but for all his friends lost, that I can believe.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 27-12-2009 12:23 PM

I don't think he was crying for Sarah, he was tearing up for all the people who might die if that bomb went off. I agree with almh too, this season has affected him profoundly.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Moonlight - 27-12-2009 12:29 PM

(27-12-2009 12:19 PM)almh Wrote:  I think that the bit on the roof was more a sign of how much the last series has had an effect on him - it has damaged and hurt him, and the deaths are stacking up, and Sarah's death was just something that was starting to tip him over the edge. I don't find it believable that he shed tears for Sarah, but for all his friends lost, that I can believe.

I wasnt sure how I was meant to interpret the scene; to start with it looked like it was about Sarah's death, which was wierd to me, and then it seemed from what Ruth was saying that as JHyde says, it was about the people who could die if the bomb went off. There was just something slightly "off" about it to me, can't put my finger on it exactly Big Grin

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 27-12-2009 12:32 PM

I didn't find that scene as moving as it should have been, quite honestly, so I do understand what you're saying.

The office scene more than makes up for it though Smile

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Moonlight - 27-12-2009 12:44 PM

(27-12-2009 12:32 PM)JHyde Wrote:  The office scene more than makes up for it though Smile

Oh god yes!!! love the twitch at the corner of his mouth....Thud Now that was far more believable and consequently had a greater impact.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 27-12-2009 12:48 PM

It wasn't a twitch, he was BEAMING. Good for him.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Tea Lady - 27-12-2009 03:24 PM

I have just read the 3 pages of Harry Pearce comments that have appeared on here since I was last here 2 days ago. You guys !!!

Anyway, I totally agree that the tears in the wind scene didnt quite fit which kind of worries me. It was a nice scene and I liked it better the 3rd and 4th time I watched it. I think it was JHyde that said, the editing probably didn't do it credit.

I think Harry is not a happy person after 8.1 and on top of that he felt he had lost Ruth again. Things are only starting to return to "normal" on that front. I think I said on the episode 8 discussion, Harry didn't rush into the hotel to help Ros at the end, why? A Harry a few seasons ago would have done so. I am saying that I don't think he went into the hotel but he did seem to disappear from shot after he got the camera crew in to film the president.

What I am worried about is, was this tears in the wind scene setting us up for Harry having a break down in series 9? If Ros and/or the HS do die, then there will be hell to pay professionally and emotionally for Harry for sure. The tears in the wind scene will then come in to play and people will say well Harry wasnt really coping before the/their death/s was he.....one to ponder

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 27-12-2009 03:33 PM

I don't think it will be about Ros and the HS, but I do think the show may take that turn for Harry's character. I talked a bit about why Harry didn't run after Lucas - firstly, he had to get the Pakistani PM talking in front of the camera, then it's not like he could keep up with Lucas anyway, and finally, it would be a bit silly them both running in to help Ros. Harry wouldn't have got halfway there before the bomb exploded!

I do think it's possible that Harry's character is heading for a watershed moment. 30 years is a long time to live and die with operational decisions. The problem is I don't think Harry would adjust at all well to retirement.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Beatriz - 27-12-2009 03:52 PM

Throughout this series we've seen Harry being affected by all his decisions more than ever, he's finding it difficult with coping... Perhaps series 9 would be Harry's series... I can't see Harry retiring either... I do think, if we get a series 9, it would be the last one (sorry, but it's what I think), and I don't know how this is going to end...

It was a good decission not to go in there, I disagree, I don't think the Harry in other series would have gone with Lucas, it would have been totally useless, he's not in physical condition to do that, perhaps in his early years as Spook, but not since he's head of section D...