Spooks Forum
[Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce (/thread-209.html)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 27-12-2009 06:46 PM

Maybe the tears were because for the first time in many years someone is there with him and showing concern for him. It's easier to keep it together when you're alone, but when someone gives you sympathy it becomes harder to remain unemotional. I think it was perhaps just an attempt (poorly executed though) from the writers to show that Harry is beginning to let his guard down with Ruth, and that it does therefore not necessarily foreshadow a breakdown for him in season 9. Hopefully it only foreshadows a closer and more open relationship with Ruth in future!

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 27-12-2009 06:52 PM

(27-12-2009 03:24 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I have just read the 3 pages of Harry Pearce comments that have appeared on here since I was last here 2 days ago. You guys !!!

Three posts in two days? That's not that bad. Tongue

I seriously hope that Harry doesn't have a breakdown, although it could work dramatically - he has lost a lot and it is obviously taking its toll.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Beatriz - 27-12-2009 09:16 PM

(27-12-2009 06:46 PM)Silktie Wrote:  Maybe the tears were because for the first time in many years someone is there with him and showing concern for him. It's easier to keep it together when you're alone, but when someone gives you sympathy it becomes harder to remain unemotional. I think it was perhaps just an attempt (poorly executed though) from the writers to show that Harry is beginning to let his guard down with Ruth, and that it does therefore not necessarily foreshadow a breakdown for him in season 9. Hopefully it only foreshadows a closer and more open relationship with Ruth in future!

So sweet... Heart

I do hope he can cope with it, surely, he will and being Ruth by his side it'll be easier for him. Perhaps his shield is breaking.

(This thread is now among the most viewed threads yay!)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 28-12-2009 04:23 AM

That's a good way of putting it, Silktie. It's always been hard for him and here's Ruth standing next to him. And it must be hard for him to think aout her being back comforting him, because she wouldn't be back but for the fact she lost her family...so there's a lot of guilt there too.

No-one else puts a hand on his arm. And let's not forget: he told her to meet the asset who was shot dead right in front of her. That must have been awful for him too.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Tea Lady - 28-12-2009 12:21 PM

Very good points JHyde and Silktie. I just wonder how much "good stuff" ended up on the cutting room floor in episode 8 to make room for the nightingale storyline. They must have shot more scenes around Ruth leaving the Grid and Harry's reaction before and after. Harry looked upset as soon as he appeared on the roof, but didnt look upset before on the grid. I guess we will never know though. Spooks has always moved at a fast pace and as PF says it is plot driven rather than character driven, but still, if you are going to have characters in there then there has to be continuity between their scenes.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 28-12-2009 04:27 PM

I think Harry needs another strong protagonist to work off in season 9, not the HS but a shady/difficult JIC chairperson a la Juliet or Mace. That's really when he's at his best, defying the powers that be, getting angry and shouty and turning red in the face. It's wonderful to watch. That's also when his morality against all the odds are most visible.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 28-12-2009 04:28 PM

It also gives Peter Firth to show his comedy teeth, which I love.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 30-12-2009 11:47 AM

Yes, more Harry one-liners for series 9!!! I agree, his best moments were when he had someone good to get in an argument with. From the point of view of wanting Harry to have someone good to yell at, the new HS doesn't cut it for me. It seems he's the sort of person that Harry will secretly hate, despise, admire and get irritated by, but will be unlikely to be able to provoke Harry into an argument.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 30-12-2009 12:31 PM

Agreed. I also think that he needs someone closer to his own level, the HS is a little senior for Harry to go whaling off on a regular basis. Maybe we need another MI6 smarmy type that makes regular appearances and annoys Harry.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 30-12-2009 12:36 PM

A Jools or a Mace type person? Or someone completely different?