Spooks Forum
[Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce (/thread-209.html)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - lwhite53 - 01-01-2010 04:21 PM

(01-01-2010 01:33 PM)Silktie Wrote:  Yes. I was wondering more about the impact on Harry himself - will he be hard on himself for not trusting the HS, and thinking that if he had told the HS about Nightingale the HS might have realised sooner that the Americans were up to no good and could have warned the Pakistani President?

An interesting question. Operations go wrong and intel is sometimes less than trustworthy, but generally they debrief and go on. Harry made the best operational decision he could with the available info (because they really didn't know what side the HS was on yet) but it still turned out to be only a hunch, and the wrong one at that. I'm sure he'll play it over and over in his mind, trying to figure out where he went wrong. Ultimately, it will weigh on him and he'll have to find a way to cope with what may turn out to be the tragic deaths of the HS and Ros.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 01-01-2010 07:57 PM

Yes, I think you're right that it will weigh on him. I thought it was telling at the end of 8.1, when Malcolm told Harry he did the right thing by refusing to give up the uranium's location even when it meant the death of Ruth's family, Harry's answer was "perhaps". I take that as a sign that he himself is unsure what the real right thing was to do in that situation. But that's the thing about Harry; he is prepared to make these calls and live with the consequences, right or wrong.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - lwhite53 - 02-01-2010 03:37 AM

It's an arrogant and confident man who believes he has the wisdom and the duty to make life and death decisions, but also one who is courageous and, ultimately, alone responsible for the outcomes of those decisions. One thing I'd wish for Harry is that he realize there's an enormous difference between "alone" and "lonely."

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 02-01-2010 09:14 AM

He has to have those qualities to do his job - it is his duty to make life and death decisions so he has to be arrogant and confident. He doesn't have to be lonely though...

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 02-01-2010 09:20 AM

It's why I have a problem when they talk about those decisions not being easy. They're easy to make, there is clearly one option that will hurt more people, but they are not decisions that are easy to live with. Which is something Ros talks about with Coleville in episode 5, and I think sounds just like Harry but with slightly different language.

Harry makes those decisions, but I have no doubt that they keep him up at night.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 02-01-2010 09:44 AM

And they also probably increase his alcohol intake...

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 02-01-2010 09:49 AM

(02-01-2010 09:44 AM)almh Wrote:  And they also probably increase his alcohol intake...

Ha! I was about to say that. It is in fact a miracle that he doesn't drink more...

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 02-01-2010 09:51 AM

He implies in his diary that at various times he has been a problem drinker. Poor bastard.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - almh - 02-01-2010 09:54 AM

It says in the personnel files too that he drinks 30 units a week. I'm no expert on units and alcohol, but I did just check the recommended limit for men per week and it's 21. That's a bit high then isn't it? I think Harry needs a hug Thhug Tongue

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 02-01-2010 10:04 AM

They also made a big deal about his drinking in season 7, when he was interrogated by his own side, didn't they? Although I have to say the times he mentions in his diary when he was drinking so much were really miserable times for him, so I give him credit for being strong enough to come out of those without becoming a full-blown alcoholic.