Spooks Forum
[Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce (/thread-209.html)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 02-01-2010 08:12 PM

I can picture him trying to figure out afterwards how he could have misjudged Juliet so terribly. And it is interesting, because Harry is rather good at sniffing out what makes people tick and using it to get what he wants. So why did he not see Juliet's duplicity? Still clouded by his guilt over the affair perhaps?

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 02-01-2010 08:17 PM

You got the feeling that Juliet had been part of Yalta for decades, certainly since the 80s it was implied. That really wasn't so long after she'd met Harry and had the affair, so I think he was just a bit blinded. I also had the sense he enjoyed sparring with Juliet. She was very bright, ambitious but political, which is not Harry's way at all. And because their approach is different but because he always thought their ends were the same, I guess it was a hole he fell into quite heavily.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 03-01-2010 03:40 PM

Strangely, Harry reminds me of the cartoon character TinTin in 6.9, in the scene where he steps out from behind the taxi to get shot by Davey whatsisname, there is a moment where he looks up toward the building where Davey is hiding and there's this tuft of hair standing up on his head. Really funny, and leading to inappropriate laughter from me in this very serious scene.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 10-01-2010 12:29 PM

Now that our rewatch is officially underway, what did you all think about Harry's introduction?

My thoughts:
- Harry was a slightly peripheral character in episode 1.1, who left most of the decision making to Tom. He seemed to be there mainly to deliver some pithy one-liners and lighten the mood a bit.
- They did, however, establish him as someone who was willing to go against political orders to ensure a successful outcome for the operation, as seen by his underhanded attempts to hinder the handing over of Kane to the Americans.
- Peter Firth did a great job with the character right from the start, I felt from 1.1 that there was much more to Harry than what we were being shown, and that's due to the layered performance given by PF.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Tea Lady - 10-01-2010 01:55 PM

I agree that there seemed a clearer line betwen him and his field officers. Tom seemed almost totally in charge of operational matters. That line seems to get more fuzzy as the series progresses though.

His role in episodes 1 and 2 did seem to be one of peace maker, politician, servant of the state, and ruthless boss that would break the law to avenge the death of one of his loyal officers. Loyality is everything to Harry.

Harry also seemed to be enjoying the chaos some of the time. It may just be me but I felt that PF was playing Harry in quite a camp way to start with. If he had not mentioned his marriage to Tom then I would have perhaps thought Harry was gay.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 10-01-2010 02:14 PM

(10-01-2010 01:55 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Harry also seemed to be enjoying the chaos some of the time. It may just be me but I felt that PF was playing Harry in quite a camp way to start with. If he had not mentioned his marriage to Tom then I would have perhaps thought Harry was gay.

Big Grin Really?! I thought he played Harry rather sardonically, with tongue in cheek and a twinkle in his eye. He seemed not to take anything too seriously. I will now be interested to see in which episode this changes and he begins to portray him more seriously.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - lwhite53 - 10-01-2010 06:37 PM

Yeah, I definitely agree that he was a peripheral character in the first two eps -- swoops in every once in awhile to make a pithy or cutting remark and then goes away. Also, that the character is set up from the very beginning as being anti-politician . . . actually anti anything that might get in the way of getting the job done -- ruthless, as it were.

PF did manage to establish his acting credentials in the small role, though. Several times in the eps, he used a couple of facial expressions that are to become well known -- the little sly smile when he tells Tom about not letting his wife know he was a spy until after they had signed the registry (ep 1) and the amused look after he basically tells Tessa and Tom to play nice re Zoe (ep 2).

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Tea Lady - 10-01-2010 11:43 PM

(10-01-2010 06:37 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  Several times in the eps, he used a couple of facial expressions that are to become well known

Yes he did. I loved his expression when he gave Tessa the extradition file back. I wasnt sure though whether he was smiling because he had got one over the Cousins or because he liked winding Tessa up.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - lwhite53 - 10-01-2010 11:52 PM

Probably both. LOL.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 10-01-2010 11:54 PM

PF can intimate so much just by the slightest change of expression, he's such a master. His role in season one is alternately for comic relief or for anchorage of the team, and he does both so well. It's only really in the last episode of season one that you get anything much of his personality and history, and of course he handles that with aplomb. I love season 1 Harry - he was my favourite character even back then. It's the Harry of the latter half of season 2 I'm not crazy about.