Spooks Forum
[Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce (/thread-209.html)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Tea Lady - 11-01-2010 12:00 AM

As I haven't watched Spooks in series order, I am looking forward to seeing how Harry develops (or not). I can't really remember him in series 2 JHyde so looking forward to that now. Was it PF's acting or the character Harry that you didnt like? Perhaps the writers didnt know where to take Harry.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 11-01-2010 12:04 AM

I love PF - it's not him. I just disagreed with some of the decisions he made in late season 2, mainly to do with Jez and, to a lesser degree, in the military episode (can't remember the number).

It was horribly mean of him not to tell his wife until they were married, really rotten.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Tea Lady - 11-01-2010 12:08 AM

Mean or just scared? Why risk the one you love until the very last moment? The longer you have, more of a chance to keep them. It was probably Harry's only chance at having a part normal life so he kept hold of that with both hands.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 11-01-2010 06:17 AM

Mean or scared, either way it was pretty rotten. That's not to say you shouldn't get involved with spies, or be one yourself, but it is a lifestyle people deserve to enter knowing exactly what they're getting into.

Season 1 Harry is hot. That sardonic wit and the waistcoats...yummy Wink

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 11-01-2010 06:45 AM

Yeah, I agree that Harry was yummy right from the start. I love that scene in 1.1 where he's talking to Tom on the roof with the dark waistcoat and blindingly white shirt. Very sexy. Hair's a wee bit too short though, in my opinion. The reason why he was my favourite from the start probably has a lot to do with the way PF portrayed him - as you've said, he has such an expressive face that your eye is drawn to him even when he's not the main player in the scene. And he had an air of mystery about him which I liked. I was looking forward to learning more about the character, whilst the others (Tom, Danny, Zoe) were more fully drawn from the start, we only really learned that Harry has a sharp sardonic wit, that he's not scared to ignore political orders to get the job done and that he lied to his wife about his job. They gave us just a few tantalising tidbits in these first episodes.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 11-01-2010 06:52 AM

He is very cute on the roof, I agree. I love that scene on the roof. It's such a lovely image - meeting on the roof to hash something out between them. Possibly my favourite scene from the first episode. Now I want to go and write the same thing on the rewatch thread, but I can't be stuffed.

Like I said, we're intrigued by Harry in season 1 because he's flipping between these funny remarks and jokes to the very unhumorous Tom, but then he can turn lethal and menacing in a moment. The fact that PF can make those turns on a dime make them infinitely more effective.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Beatriz - 11-01-2010 11:06 AM

Unlike you, I didn't fall for him until series 3 I think. I'm not a fan of waistcoat, and his hair is too short for my liking Tongue I think the episode which made me fall for him was the one we meet his daughter, it was very touching, we could see his emotional side and I loved that Smile

I did think he was a good character from the beginning, with a secondary role but great. I agree with JHyde, I didn't like his decisions regarding Jez (2.07) and Major Curtis (2.08)

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - JHyde - 11-01-2010 11:09 AM

Season 3 Harry is the man most fans seem to fall in love with. I just love the blustering, lethal Harry of Season 1, and I did enjoy him those last two episodes of season 2. Some of his best moments were up against Tessa, it was one of those invaluable situations where JA and PF's history just worked beautifully.

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Silktie - 11-01-2010 05:22 PM

Yes, it's pretty obvious from the start that Harry and Tessa don't like each other very much. Her expression in 1.1 when Harry sends her back with the extradition order is priceless, and his enjoyment of the moment is very funny too.

And I'm very curious as to where Harry was going in 1.2 all decked out in his tux - opera? Some official function?

RE: [Spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Tea Lady - 11-01-2010 05:30 PM

(11-01-2010 05:22 PM)Silktie Wrote:  And I'm very curious as to where Harry was going in 1.2 all decked out in his tux - opera? Some official function?

...scratch choir?

I think Harry needs another Tessa in the office now. Another battleaxe for him to play with.