Spooks Forum
Zafar Younis: File Closed - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Zafar Younis: File Closed (/thread-2099.html)

Zafar Younis: File Closed - KrZyLimE - 31-01-2012 01:11 PM

Ok, so the mystery of the whole handling of Zaf's death is finally solved. Zaf was not supposed to die, he was only supposed to go missing for the season, but with Raza Jaffrey's moving to the new show Mistresses, the scheduling didn't allow it apparently. Raza Jaffrey tweeted this on 12/16/11 @ 10:10am - "Well a little Spooks secret. Zaf was to come back end of series 6 for us to learn what really happened. Mistresses prevented.." This explains alot of how the writer's treated his whole death. Now it all makes sense. Zaf didn't get a proper death scene because he was not supposed to die. They had to write in a death scenario at the last minute to tie it all together when Raza couldn't come back in episode 10. This might be old news to some, but I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it anyhow.

RE: Zafar Younis: File Closed - JHyde - 31-01-2012 02:11 PM

I don't think this says that he wasn't supposed to die. I think this says that we just didn't have scenes that showed anything more and why.

Raza was leaving no matter what. I don't blame him at all, I am on record as saying he was possibly the most underused character of the entire show and certainly one of the nicest. But I think you're jumping to the wrong conclusion by saying he wasn't being killed off. And audio commentaries on season 6 DVDs bear me out on that.

In a lot of ways, I actually think that by showing nothing but the coffin draped in a flag it was more powerful. Zaf's end was truly distressing and no less so because nothing was shown. The scenes between Adam and Jo drive that home most forcefully.

RE: Zafar Younis: File Closed - KrZyLimE - 31-01-2012 05:17 PM

I have posted the whole conversation between Raza & the person he was tweeting about the subject below. I didn't see the whole part the first time, sorry. I just went back and found the whole thing. I stand corrected in saying that he was not supposed to die. According to Raza they did not know whether or not if they would have killed his character off at the end of series 6 if he had been able to appear in the final episode.

@RazaJaffrey Someone needs to write a #Spooks spin-off that follows Zaf Exploits when he went undercover (not died). Smile

@grid_spy well a little #spooks secret. Zaf was to come back end of series 6 for us to learn what really happened.Mistresses prevented..

@RazaJaffrey Really, What a shame. Thanks for telling me. So would Zaf have been alive or dead at the end of S6?

@grid_spy we never worked that bit out. So I'll leave it to your capable MI5 imagination...