Spooks Forum
Robert Glenister/Nicholas Blake - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Robert Glenister/Nicholas Blake (/thread-211.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Robert Glenister - Tea Lady - 11-09-2010 03:04 PM

A little pic of RG and Anna Chancellor rehearsing lines for Law and Order UK, last year.

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/drama/law-and-order-uk-2010/photos/1/15760/6

RE: Robert Glenister - JHyde - 22-09-2010 07:53 AM

So I wanted to talk about 9.1 with the Glenister fans.

Series 9.1 Spoiler: show
What did people think about finding out that Blake was a bad guy?

I think the character had a really unsympathetic storyline in season 6, to the point where Harry threatened him in 6.9. (A threat he came good on.) But it's unfortunate really - Blake was a lot of fun in season 7 especially and had some good moments and one of my favourite lines in season 8. I was sorry he turned out to be a bad guy.

I do like the irony that he worked out Ruth's return and she was the one who brought him undone. Nice.

RE: Robert Glenister/Nicholas Blake - penfold - 22-09-2010 08:36 AM

Series 9 Spoiler: show
After Blake's transformation from unsympathetic [Tehran train bomb, the shoot out in the Davy Kane ep] to Harry's 'friend' [-that rare thing an honest politician] it did come as quite a shock. Along with Harry I'm puzzled as to why Nightingale framed him with the corruption evidence - a Home Secretary in office would surely be far more use to them than a disgraced MP living in the wilds of Scotland. Hell of a big smoke screen, Ruth.
I don't mind that he was a baddie -they're more fun than the good guys usually!. But I was hoping Nicholas' name would be cleared by Harry and Ruth [!] and still be connected with 5 -Head of Security Services even?
But I was miles out.
On a shallow level I'm gutted that Robert Glenister is no longer in it -the scenes between Blake and Harry were always electric, and a joy to watch. Two brilliant actors, on the top of their game, sparking off each other - fabulous. And that last two-hander, with the focus on their eyes. Wow.
Blake knowing he'd been poisoned, with the subtlest of reactions conveying the fear, the realisation and the concern for his family; and Harry- more devastated by the fact that Nicholas was a traitor than the fact that he'd poisoned him.
Poor Harry, betrayed by his friend, and a tear.

I did a fanfic a while ago with Harry and Nick discussing life over a bottle of 50 year old Scotch [cheap, Harry, cheap!] -but never dreamed the next one I saw would end up like this.

RE: Robert Glenister/Nicholas Blake - Aria - 22-09-2010 11:04 AM

Really enjoyed RG's performance in 9.1. He and PF were awesome in that scene and his realisation of Harry's motive in visiting was wonderful. I even liked his Ruth comment as it seemed complimentary. His concern for his family was touching and the way he thanked Harry was truly brilliant. Like Penfold I'm not sure why he had to be kicked out of office if he was already a part of Nightingale. I'll miss RG on Spooks for sure.

RE: Robert Glenister/Nicholas Blake - Tea Lady - 22-09-2010 01:30 PM

Series series 9.1 Spoiler: show
Was the reason they got Blake out of office, was to just put in another HS that could be killed off, and get the Brits on Nightingale's political side? Then Blake could come back into Government, maybe PM? Perhaps the photo's which appeared in 8.6, were real, so Nightingale had to get Blake out of office quickly, so went along with it, put the £4 million in his account, and made it look like he was set up.

I am sad to see RG go. Blake though, did have an evil and ruthless side which we all seemed to forget about in series 7

RE: Robert Glenister/Nicholas Blake - penfold - 22-09-2010 06:15 PM

Another Spooks-fan friend has suggested that as a member of the Inner Circle of Nightingale, Nicholas obviously knew that the Home Secretary would have to be at the meeting in the hotel, and, as he had planned the attack it would be sensible for him not to be in the vicinity of the Bomb! So the smokescreen of the pics and the £4m was planned to give him a valid reason to resign, and ensure that the new Home Secretary was the one who was blown up. Leaving Nicholas unscathed, to retire to his Scottish mansion, and his pie!

RE: Robert Glenister/Nicholas Blake - Aria - 22-09-2010 07:31 PM

Good thinking from your friend, penfold, that makes sense.

RE: Robert Glenister/Nicholas Blake - penfold - 22-09-2010 08:01 PM

It does rather doesn't it?
Peeved I didn't think of it !

RE: Robert Glenister/Nicholas Blake - TygerBright - 22-09-2010 09:34 PM

I always thought NB had a pretty ruthless streak...
I would have liked a bit more background about his involvement with Nightingale, his motives were a tad .. general.. Hated him for drinking to Ros when he was the one who gave the order.. but totally love the moment when he rather cheerfully sipped his whiskey, then suddenly mid-sip realised that Harry still had his gloves on. And computed the implications. Priceless. Bit OTT with the dying IMO but then. Pity he's gone though. Absolutely adore RG

RE: Robert Glenister/Nicholas Blake - penfold - 22-09-2010 10:32 PM

I'm willing to bet Nick wishes he had been Ruthless! [Sorry -couldn't resist -it was a gift.]
Agree with absolutely everything except your view that the death scene was OTT.
"You'll never know what that's like"
Falls off chair.
2 groans.
Grabs Harry's foot.
And .. woof - he's dead.