Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Spooks Locations - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Spooks Locations (/thread-229.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RE: Spooks Locations - Beatriz - 30-12-2009 11:50 PM

Ups! Sorry you're right I saw a plane doodle and my imagination drifted away Blush

RE: Spooks Locations - Tea Lady - 31-12-2009 12:26 AM

Going back to the King pub again, I dont think we are all ready to give up yet but when we are it may be an idea to print a load of screen shots and then look for a real ale website/forum and post them on there, asking for help to identify the pub. Have a shot of the long corridor, the football boots, etc

RE: Spooks Locations - carole9908 - 01-01-2010 06:12 PM

My husband uses a beer/pub forum regularly, though you can't post pictures to it. He might be able to email shots to some of the others to see if they recognize it. He thinks I'm nuts though... Confused

Back to Series 1, which I've been working through this week, I have a location for you from episode 5:
37:15 -
Spoiler: show
Where Sergei meets the young Russian who kills him
Trafalgar Square. The camera pans along the front of the National Gallery. St Martin In the Fields is visible on the right.

I have also been trying to pinpoint the location for 44:15 when
Spoiler: show
Tom is walking with Richard Maynard
. There is a view of the London skyline. It has to be west or south west of London, as you can see BT tower with the London Eye to the right. I can't be certain, but my best guess is Richmond Park. What do you think?

RE: Spooks Locations - baron jorel - 02-01-2010 01:41 PM

I wonder why the producers of the series do not use an "establishing shot" with the real MI5 HQ instead of the one they use, the masonic lodge on Drury Lane.

It would lend more credibility to the series, I think.

Baron

RE: Spooks Locations - Tea Lady - 02-01-2010 02:07 PM

I would guess that they cant do a close up shot for security reasons.

RE: Spooks Locations - almh - 02-01-2010 02:08 PM

Especially if you see people walking past (and particularly in...)

RE: Spooks Locations - baron jorel - 02-01-2010 02:51 PM

I have no idea what laws exist that would prohibit filming the front of a building, but MI5 Thames House is very well known. There's even a 3D model on Google Earth. In other words, it's rather silly not to show the real location, although I have a feeling the producers probably looked into it and were met with a blank stare from some bureaucrat as if to say: "You're kidding, right?"

Baron

RE: Spooks Locations - Tomsdouble - 02-01-2010 03:00 PM

I thought they did use a shot (from the air) of the real Thames House. It certainly looks like it, and yet when they do the standard shot of the Spooks Thames House it is clearly a different building. The Spooks Thames House is not actually next to the river, or at least that frontal shot suggests it isn't, yet the aerial view of what I refer to as the real one (which has only been used to my knowledge in series 8) clearly shows a different-shaped building to the Masonic Hall. When both shots are used in only minutes apart it is a bit incongruous.

RE: Spooks Locations - almh - 02-01-2010 04:06 PM

(02-01-2010 02:51 PM)baron jorel Wrote:  I have no idea what laws exist that would prohibit filming the front of a building, but MI5 Thames House is very well known. There's even a 3D model on Google Earth. In other words, it's rather silly not to show the real location, although I have a feeling the producers probably looked into it and were met with a blank stare from some bureaucrat as if to say: "You're kidding, right?"

Baron

I think it's probably more to do with if they showed people entering the building. Another thing could be that it's easier to do stunts by Freemasons than the real Thames House (like Tariq's crash.) But other than that I have no idea why they interchange.

RE: Spooks Locations - Tea Lady - 02-01-2010 05:45 PM

The aerial shots and night shots are always of the real Thames House. These are from a distance. The front close up shot is Freemasons Hall. As they film outside the building quite often I think it is sensible to use Freemasons Hall as the TV face of Thames House. Almh, is right. You need permission to film in London and I would imagine that it was near on impossible to get permission to film outside the real building. I think most people would realise that Freemasons Hall is not the real Thames House as the security would be a joke then. I know you can see all these buildings on the net from above but you dont see the people who work there coming in and out. Spooks is fiction and it would be wrong to put any officers actually at risk which could be the case if they were accidentally caught in a TV shot.