Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth (/thread-269.html)

[spoilers] Harry and Ruth - spooks1 - 13-10-2009 08:26 PM

Do you think Harry and Ruth belong together

RE: Harry and Ruth - Nitrus - 13-10-2009 09:07 PM

I'm moving this to the Character & Actor discussion section as this thread deals with characters in general, not Series 8 specifically.

And YES they do belong together... despite them being a bit of an odd couple! Tongue

RE: Harry and Ruth - Silktie - 14-10-2009 05:52 AM

Yes, I think they do.

Rational reasons for this are that they share the same values ito dedication to their work and the defence of the realm. They seem to have a great understanding of each other's thought processes, and trust each other implicitly on a professional level. It's a meeting of minds, as they can probably have a whole conversation in obscure and classic quotes that no one else would understand.

More illogical reasons I have for wanting them together is that they're both rather hopelessly inept in the romance department, and it will probably make for highly entertaining viewing to watch them try to have a relationship. Plus I think they have very nice chemistry between them that isn't forced. And lastly, cause they make such a cute couple! Big Grin

RE: Harry and Ruth - Tea Lady - 14-10-2009 10:50 AM

I think Silktie has said it all although I think Harry is probably more out of practice than anything and is insecure as its been so long since he has had a girlfriend. He probably just cant believe his luck that someone actually loves him with all his failings. He clearly was a bit of a jack the lad when he was younger and stationed in Paris but that was decades ago and also Ruth of course must be about 15 years younger than him. They are very similar and they surely cant let a second chance go to waste.

RE: Harry and Ruth - Alpha One - 14-10-2009 03:14 PM

Totally!

RE: Harry and Ruth - almh - 14-10-2009 03:24 PM

Definitely a chemistry between them, as Peter Firth has said in interviews how they were trying to convince the writers that there was something going on between Harry and Ruth, which obviously came out later in the series. And they do fit together quite well, both are amazingly talented at their job, incredibly hard workers and neither really used to being in love, or really loving another person in that sense. But they are also so different, had such different experiences. I think the contrast of their differences and also their similarities make them work well together.

RE: Harry and Ruth - Beatriz - 14-10-2009 06:01 PM

Totally!!! seconded all you've said!! They're great actors! Thanks to the scriptwriters they gave in and made a good story for them!

It was amazing watch them give small hints of what the felt for each other at the beginning, and how Harry finally asked Ruth out with a lot of effort Smile I love Harry's smile when he turns round after asking her outHeart
I'm in love with this couple!Tongue

RE: Harry and Ruth - FionaC - 14-10-2009 07:40 PM

From very early on I always thought there was a little something between Harry and Ruth but I presumed it was just me!
Spoiler: show
I really started to think there was something in episode 3.1 when Ruth was trying to see Harry in the hospital and didn't seem to have a problem lying to the nurse that she was pregnant with his child! What really clinched it for me was the episode later that series when Harry was going to be interviewed for the DG job and Ruth said 'you wont forget about us will you' etc....
After that I was totally sold on the idea and I loved the way the writers developed it. I think from the start there's just been a lovely chemistry between them and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

RE: Harry and Ruth - JHyde - 08-11-2009 01:27 PM

I think, most simply put, they bring out the best in each other. And are able to limit the damage that the other's vices might cause. They bring each other back from the brink. Isn't that all anyone can ask?

RE: Harry and Ruth - almh - 08-11-2009 01:30 PM

(08-11-2009 01:27 PM)JHyde Wrote:  I think, most simply put, they bring out the best in each other. And are able to limit the damage that the other's vices might cause. They bring each other back from the brink. Isn't that all anyone can ask?

That's a really good summary. As Harry said in 8.2
Spoiler: show
Ruth knows his weaknesses. Also Jo goes to Ruth to change Harry's mind because she knows that only she can get through his wall - Ruth can help him make the right decisions about emotional matters, and Harry about operational ones.