Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth (/thread-269.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth - JHyde - 22-11-2009 02:55 PM

I can't remember who pointed this out (I think it was in the season 2 thread) that the only times Harry has laughed on the show are either when he's teasing Ruth and or laughing at his own joke that he's made directly to her. It might have been Tea Lady, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

It's funny when you look back at season 2, and how Harry behaved about her being sent in, and then what an ally she became for him. I'd forgotten 2.10, Silktie - you're quite right. I think Harry realised early on that she isn't exactly like other people, and that "gentle sense of humour" and the fact that she was such a good target for teasing endeared her to him, I think.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth - Silktie - 22-11-2009 03:09 PM

That's not entirely true - he also laughed at Zoe in the EERIE ep.

I also read somewhere that they cut a confrontation scene between Harry and Ruth from 2.2 because there was too much sexual tension flying around and they didn't want to go that route. It's still in the script, but after PF and NW had acted it out, they decided it would create the wrong impression. Thing is, in this scene Harry shouts at Ruth for being excited about finally seeing some action, and when she almost starts to cry, he immediately apologises. He never does that with other people, so already there you can see he handles her differently from anyone else.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth - Beatriz - 22-11-2009 03:44 PM

All you said is great stuff, you expressed what I feel about them. I agree with all you, they're brilliant and complex characters and very well played by PF and NW, I love the subtle (or not so subtle) looks, smiles... Heart

I definitely have to rewatch the first episodes Ruth was in, I can remember them well. I've just watched the 3.9 scene, and it's fantastic, Harry's laugh is so real Smile

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth - almh - 22-11-2009 03:46 PM

They definitely have chemistry right from the beginning, but that scene is so good! Smile

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth - JHyde - 22-11-2009 03:58 PM

I love this thread....we're all so cuddly in our love for these guys. It's kind of embarassing.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth - almh - 22-11-2009 04:02 PM

It's not embarrassing! We're just happy in our own little contented world where Harry and Ruth are together. Wink But they do make a good couple - it's like pointing out to your friend that you think they fit really well with their boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse etc. Except we're doing it to fictional characters Wink

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth - Beatriz - 22-11-2009 04:04 PM

What fictional characters!! lol

Love the "cuddly" thing Smile

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth - JHyde - 22-11-2009 04:11 PM

Well, we're not together yet. That's part of the fun, speculating how the culmination might occur!

I think they're very cuddly. (You can just see them hugging after filming those scenes from 8.1.) And so are we.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth - almh - 22-11-2009 04:14 PM

Definitely part of the fun is pure speculation - maybe that's why they're one of the most loved couples on this site! (Judging by the fact that we've already made 12 pages of posts about them, over 110 posts - only beaten by the Sir Harry Pearce thread in the character area.)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth - JHyde - 22-11-2009 04:23 PM

I found this thread dormant just before season 8 started and revved it up again in anticipation. It's amazing how a few of us bounce between those 2 threads in particular.

I'm going to hunt up that scene in 2.2 and might paste a bit of it here, I'm intrigued. Although I'm not sure it would have been good for Ruth to cry so early on, so that may well have also been a factor.