Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Nicola Walker - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Nicola Walker (/thread-307.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: [spoilers] Nicola Walker - Forever Secret - 21-03-2011 09:59 PM

Just finished L&O and ooooh that's one of my favourite performances so far by Nicola,
I couldn't quite believe the ending Wink Nicola playing a baddie?
Series LawAndOrder Spoiler: show
Great stuff! The "I just wanted her to shut up" line was brilliant! And after that her character just seemed so unhinged, but I can't say I didn't see it coming that she was the guilty one all along haha
It's great to see her playing different types of characters, Humour in Being Human and pretty scary in Law and Order

I ask again after seeing Law & Order, Why no BAFTA??!!

I also thought that Benedict Wong (Who played Kai in 9.4 was very good! I love his British accent Wink

BAFTA FOR NICOLA PLEASE!!!! Big Grin

RE: [spoilers] Nicola Walker - pepelow - 21-03-2011 11:56 PM

Like most industry awards (Oscars, Emmys), the actor/actress has to make the initial submission for consideration of a nomination (or the production company does it on his or her behalf), and once he/sh gets a nomination, then they have to set aside time and expense to mount a campaign to solicit votes from the voting members of the relevant organisation. So to be considered for a BAFTA, Nicola herself, or Kudos/BBC on her behalf, must first submit evidence of her best work for the year in question. For whatever reason, this hasn't happened yet (either the submission or nomination). Lets hope that changes soon. Smile

These awards should be distinguished from the awards given purely for popularity, where fans can submit multiple votes for the actors or actresses they support.

RE: [spoilers] Nicola Walker - A Cousin - 22-03-2011 03:04 AM

Hmmm.... That's really interesting and actually explains to me why PF nor NW have been nominated yet for their work on Spooks. I had no idea the actors could nominate themselves so directly. I'd be a bit embarrassed to do that! If Kudos is nominating them, then I guess they just never get past their peers voting to the jury selection of the final nominees. If a production company is going to put their necks out to nominate a specific actor, it better be worth the money they will have to put into the marketing during the voting and jury process. In general, it is a lot more like the Emmy process than the Oscar process. At least as far as the initial nominations goes.

I am a cynic when it comes to awards in general. Outside of the fact that I can't stand the tediousness of the ceremonies themselves, those that deserve it in my eyes rarely win them. Maybe I just have poor taste. Or maybe the whole process is reliant more on marketing than merit. That said, what they can do for the right actor is career transforming. If it means that NW will get more work that I will get to watch, I hope to see her in the final list next month when the nominations are announced. I hope someone threw her name into the mix!

RE: [spoilers] Nicola Walker - pepelow - 22-03-2011 03:59 AM

You can download the BAFTA Rules and Guidelines HERE.

Tim Allen (Home Improvement) reportedly sacked his publicist one year because the publicist forgot to put his submission to the Emmy organisation in time for consideration! Smile I suspect having one of these awards might mean more in the American entertainment industry than the British equivalent. Being awarded a BAFTA is great, lets not look down on it, but NOT having an award has not hampered the career of many a fine actor/actress. The problem with these awards is, once you get one award, the other award entities tend to follow suit and you'll find yourself flooded with awards and accolades. It doesn't mean that you've suddenly gotten better at your craft.

As long as Nicola keeps getting interesting work ...

RE: [spoilers] Nicola Walker - DogSoSmall - 22-03-2011 09:15 AM

Nicola's performance in Law & Order was riveting. Once again, she transformed the programme she was in from a pleasant bit of entertainment to unmissable viewing. How does she do it with a handful of minutes on screen? More than deserving of an award, but I can see that she would never nominate herself. I'm sure though that the respect of her peers is far more important to her. I wish there could be awards based on industry votes that had nothing to do with marketing and were just about recognising talent. How great would they be to watch? Clips of great performances followed by meaningful awards. I know there are a few such awards out there, but they are never televised and you rarely get to hear about them. The audience popularity contests that make up the bulk of our awards ceremonies are tripe.

RE: [spoilers] Nicola Walker - xRuthx - 22-03-2011 11:03 AM

(22-03-2011 03:04 AM)A Cousin Wrote:  I am a cynic when it comes to awards in general. Outside of the fact that I can't stand the tediousness of the ceremonies themselves, those that deserve it in my eyes rarely win them. Maybe I just have poor taste. Or maybe the whole process is reliant more on marketing than merit. That said, what they can do for the right actor is career transforming. If it means that NW will get more work that I will get to watch, I hope to see her in the final list next month when the nominations are announced. I hope someone threw her name into the mix!

I must be a cynic with you then! I stopped taking the oscars seriously when I discovered Johnny Depp still doesn't have one. Nor does Helena Bonham Carter. Or Miranda Richardson. The world is an inexplicable place Tongue

RE: [spoilers] Nicola Walker - A Cousin - 22-03-2011 01:39 PM

(22-03-2011 03:59 AM)pepelow Wrote:  You can download the BAFTA Rules and Guidelines HERE.

Belieeeeve me, I am familiar with it! Not being an awards kind of gal and being a film watcher over a TV drama watcher in general, I know enough about the Oscar/ British Academy Film Awards but not as much about the Emmy/British Television Academy Awards TV awards process. I agree with you, I do think there is more (wrongly) placed value attached to awards in American than in Britain. Thank goodness for it! Of all the awards out there, the Golden Globes are the awards I would give the most credence to if only because they are not "in-house."
(22-03-2011 09:15 AM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  Nicola's performance in Law & Order was riveting. Once again, she transformed the programme she was in from a pleasant bit of entertainment to unmissable viewing. How does she do it with a handful of minutes on screen?

That interrogation scene is great, isn't it? She is so on the edge! I spent the majority of the episode skeptical about why they would cast someone of NW's abilities in a non-pivotal role. I knew there had to be something more. I think this is my favorite performance of the three guest shots for her because it doesn't really come to fruition until that last reaction of hers. As an actress, she certainly knows when to go in for the kill, figuratively speaking, of course.

RE: [spoilers] Nicola Walker - xRuthx - 22-03-2011 09:46 PM

I put the most stock in the golden globes too actually.

That end bunch of scenes in L&O were so unsettling. I was a little bit scarred for life. Meanwhile my Mum just yelled at the TV and asked me what the heck Nicola thought she was doing messing with her head like this. One of my favourite things about Nicola as an actress is how realistically she portrays all of her characters, right down to the mannerisms and little quirks. On my blog post for L&O I believe I described it as "the compelling honesty" of her performance if that makes any sense at all!

I don't really watch L&O but I thought the story for this one was really well done too. I thought it raised a lot of interesting points about the ethics of criminal law and the courts and the rights of the individual vs society.

RE: [spoilers] Nicola Walker - DogSoSmall - 22-03-2011 09:46 PM

(22-03-2011 01:39 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  That interrogation scene is great, isn't it? She is so on the edge! I spent the majority of the episode skeptical about why they would cast someone of NW's abilities in a non-pivotal role. I knew there had to be something more. I think this is my favorite performance of the three guest shots for her because it doesn't really come to fruition until that last reaction of hers. As an actress, she certainly knows when to go in for the kill, figuratively speaking, of course.

I think that's it, A Cousin. It was a wow moment.

RE: [spoilers] Nicola Walker - pepelow - 23-03-2011 12:06 AM

(22-03-2011 01:39 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  Of all the awards out there, the Golden Globes are the awards I would give the most credence to if only because they are not "in-house."

You're not being serious?! Huh (Maybe I don't know how to read a sarcastic comment when I see one!) As you probably know, The Golden Globes have been criticized often, in the past, for being the most corrupt of all the award ceremonies, in that they are voted on by a few hundred journalists who belong to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (even less in number than members of the Academy which hands out the Oscars) and there have been too many instances of films and actors/actresses winning after these HFPA members have been wined and dined by the studios.

The awards themselves don't mean a thing to me. Take Louise Fletcher. A fabulous actress who was rightly given an Oscar early on in her career but then couldn't get arrested for years afterwards. Undecided Its nice when someone who is actually talented is given high level recognition by industry peers, but as long as my favourite ones keep getting employed, that's all that matters to me Wink

Right, I'm way off topic here. Now, back to Nicola's performance in LOUK. I was particularly impressed by this scene which I will put under spoiler tags in case anyone reading this thread has not yet seen the episode in question

Series Law & Order UK Spoiler: show
The final scene and that solitary tear which rolled down her character's face. If I remember correctly, it was a one shot scene, which to me meant that it had to be a real tear and not something which has been chemically induced. Nicola has said in the past that she is one actress who cannot cry on cue, unlike Keeley Hawes. Nicola has often said that she needs a special spray or gell to help her bring on the tears.

I'll say it again, Nicola Walker is the most magnificent actress in the world!!!