Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros (/thread-329.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: [spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros - Kazters - 01-03-2011 06:22 PM

(01-03-2011 05:37 PM)sugarhorse1 Wrote:  just watched series 8 again - thank goodness Ros has gone at last. HN just looks so incredibly BORED all the time - OK, I suppose the Botox doesn't help her to change expression very much (look at her forehead - you can see she can't move most of it except for a little bit up by her hairline). I wondered if she was just fed-up playing Ros, but no, she was bored in Outcasts. if acting bores her so much, why doesn't she go and find a job she enjoys?

Sorry but your really harsh on hermione I for one think she is great in s8 and one of the problems with s9 is she isn't in it. Bored I think not she is in charge
I wonder if you are confusing her expression both Stella and ros are cold fish quite closed off emotionally and put work first.

RE: [spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros - Byatil - 01-03-2011 06:47 PM

(01-03-2011 05:37 PM)sugarhorse1 Wrote:  just watched series 8 again - thank goodness Ros has gone at last. HN just looks so incredibly BORED all the time - OK, I suppose the Botox doesn't help her to change expression very much (look at her forehead - you can see she can't move most of it except for a little bit up by her hairline). I wondered if she was just fed-up playing Ros, but no, she was bored in Outcasts. if acting bores her so much, why doesn't she go and find a job she enjoys?

Try watching her in an interview; she's always very animated! It just so happens that she plays a very closed, hardened character in Spooks. I actually think the way she portrayed Ros' emotions after Jo's death and the episode where she had to have sex with Maynard really convincing; she wasn't always a stoic character.

RE: [spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros - sugarhorse1 - 01-03-2011 07:28 PM

i like Spooks, although i feel the last series was very poor - i can't stand HN. she exhibits less acting ability and range of expression than a sock-puppet. maybe she really enjoys acting, but there's a fine line between looking cool and looking bored.
"i'm being tortured - boring, the world's on the brink of nuclear war - what the hell; i've just killed a colleague - i'd yawn if only i could open my mouth enough; i'm going to die again - so what?"
not just my opinion by the way - i know others who agree with me. i hope series 10 is an improvement, but the writers will need to stop being lazy and write some REAL characters.

RE: [spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros - Kazters - 01-03-2011 08:21 PM

i really have to disagree, the charactor of ros dosnt show her emotions very often, and after the death of jo it does affect her, and rather badly personaly i think its portrayed very well by hermione - i do think you just dont like the actor which is fair enough but i think a couple of your coments about her are a little personal.

RE: [spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros - Naivety - 01-03-2011 09:14 PM

I like Hermoine Norris and I certainly don't get the 'bored' imprssion. I do think her characters have all been a fairly similar character. The three characters I'm thinking of are Carol Jordan in Wire in the Blood, Ros and now Stella. They are all women who enjoy power, but with varying degrees of humanity.

Everyone is entitled to their own point of view. If everyone thought the same we wouldn't have such a fantastic forum.

RE: [spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros - BravoNine - 01-03-2011 09:25 PM

(01-03-2011 07:28 PM)sugarhorse1 Wrote:  i like Spooks, although i feel the last series was very poor - i can't stand HN. she exhibits less acting ability and range of expression than a sock-puppet. maybe she really enjoys acting, but there's a fine line between looking cool and looking bored.
"i'm being tortured - boring, the world's on the brink of nuclear war - what the hell; i've just killed a colleague - i'd yawn if only i could open my mouth enough; i'm going to die again - so what?"

I've never seen her look bored, her eyes are very expressive. She certainly didn't look bored in the scene when you can obviously tell that Jo's death has effected her or even after Adam's death.

Just because she's not breaking down in tears or screaming and making dramatic gestures doesn't mean she's not expressing emotions. Ros is a cold-hearted character, she doesn't show her emotions much, she's been taught to keep it all inside, what HN acts is well within the character's traits.

Saying that HN just looks bored is like saying Peter Firth just stands there with the same constipated expression every time something goes wrong, which is untrue as if you watch the eyes, the emotions are always there.

So Ros isn't all crying, vulnerable, or dramatic, her emotions are subtle if you bother to watch closely.

(01-03-2011 07:28 PM)sugarhorse1 Wrote:  not just my opinion by the way - i know others who agree with me. i hope series 10 is an improvement, but the writers will need to stop being lazy and write some REAL characters.

And what defines a REAL character anyways? Someone who breaks down and start hysterics every time something goes wrong?

Ros IS a REAL character, I know people in the law enforcement/government line of work who is like her, those people who barely show emotions and is often seen as cold, but there's always another side that isn't shown. Ros is calm and collected in her job, always knowing what she must do, but if you watch her with Jo or with Lucas, she has a softer side that always comes out when dealing with the younger teammates, she looks out for them and her care for them is quite obvious in her voice and her eyes.

Just because others agree with your OPINION doesn't mean it is a fact, it's still just an opinion in the end.

RE: [spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros - sugarhorse1 - 01-03-2011 09:41 PM

as is your OPINION

RE: [spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros - BravoNine - 01-03-2011 09:47 PM

(01-03-2011 09:41 PM)sugarhorse1 Wrote:  as is your OPINION

At least my opinion is based on what I see in real life from the people I know in the law enforcement/government line of business.

Not everyone has to act like a drama queen.

RE: [spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros - sugarhorse1 - 01-03-2011 10:03 PM

no, but if you're an actor, then it helps to be able to act.

RE: [spoilers] Hermione Norris/Ros - BravoNine - 01-03-2011 10:05 PM

(01-03-2011 10:03 PM)sugarhorse1 Wrote:  no, but if you're an actor, then it helps to be able to act.

I don't have an issue with her acting, clearly you do.

As far as I'm concerned, she acts just fine. So what she's not making all dramatic gestures, that's not what acting is all about. Some actors can show more with their eyes than others can do with thousands of pages of dialog. I see that with her, I've never had any trouble with her acting.