Spooks Forum
Spooky Holidays - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: Spooky Holidays (/thread-409.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Spooky Holidays - Silktie - 13-12-2009 03:39 PM

Over here in SA it's usually above 30 degrees Celcius as well for Christmas, with a nice big thunderstorm in the late afternoon. Most South Africans have a braai, we're big on meat here. My family, however, likes to do the more traditional thing with the glazed ham, roast leg of lamb etc. This year, however, we've decided to have a prawn braai. It'll be just the immediate family that will get together on the 24th. We open presents on Christmas Eve, go to church very early on Christmas day and have lunch. It's our family tradition to buy presents that cost no more than R50 (less than 5 pounds equivalent), which is a huge challenge. You really have to put a lot of thought into the gift to find something decent for that price! We donate the rest of the money we would have spent on presents if we were to buy expensive ones to a charity of our choice.

RE: Spooky Holidays - almh - 13-12-2009 03:41 PM

That's a really good idea to spend less money trying to find something that's perfect, rather than just going for the thing with the biggest price tag you can afford.

RE: Spooky Holidays - Beatriz - 13-12-2009 03:50 PM

Oh, that's very nice, Silktie!

What's braai?

RE: Spooky Holidays - Silktie - 13-12-2009 04:02 PM

Braai is the roasting of meat over hot coals. It's a very social activity as everyone stands around the fire chatting (and drinking!) while the wood burns down to coals, then roast the meat over the coals.

RE: Spooky Holidays - bertowud - 13-12-2009 04:06 PM

Sounds tasty. Of course when you use the word prawns, I begin thinking of District 9 and it sounds less tasty.

RE: Spooky Holidays - Silktie - 13-12-2009 04:21 PM

Bwah! Knew that movie would come back to haunt us...

RE: Spooky Holidays - JHyde - 13-12-2009 07:20 PM

I think I must be the only person ever to not like prawns, which is funny because I call people prawns all the time. A very useful word.

That sounds like a wonderful way to gather around the cokking, as well as a less labor intensive version once you've actually set up the damn thing. But it would just make things hotter, and I'm all about the cool on Christmas day.

I LOVE thunderstorms. The crack of thunder is my favourite sound in the whole world. On Christmas Day it'd just be a bonus.

RE: Spooky Holidays - bertowud - 13-12-2009 10:51 PM

I have an aunt who instead of turkey and the rest has a shrimp boil for Thanksgiving. Now that's good eats.

If the weather doesn't change too drastically we may have a warm and rainy Christmas. It's been rainy all December. The temps have been fluctuating a bit, but it's been cold a day and then warms up for a week. It's funny with the rest of the US having crazy cold weather, I've been wearing shorts a lot.

RE: Spooky Holidays - JHyde - 13-12-2009 11:39 PM

You should get some Christmas themed ones Smile

RE: Spooky Holidays - bertowud - 14-12-2009 12:04 AM

Ya know. I don't think I've seen any Christmas themed shorts. I did see a Christmas Hawaiian shirt before though.