Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Lucas and his tattoos - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Lucas and his tattoos (/thread-418.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Lucas and his tattoos - HellsBells - 20-11-2010 07:03 PM

(01-02-2010 07:31 AM)murarik Wrote:  Lucas has different tattoos on the right wrist in different episodes.
In the 7 series it's "ВЯХ" in russian. But in the series 8, episode 5 when he speaks on the phone while sara is
sleeping, he has tattoo "МЕХ".
"ВЯХ" - russian poisonous plant.
"МЕХ" - fur.
I've searched these words in russian tattoos sites but there is nothing. And so I agree with "grom_ko"

(22-01-2010 01:25 AM)grom_ko Wrote:  From what I can see his “wrist” tattoo means absolutely nothing, just 3 letters with no meaning

There doesn't seem to be a lot of meaning to the letters on the wrist, I was hoping for an explanation in series 9. We see this tattoo a lot in series 9.

RE: Lucas and his tattoos - Annie - 20-11-2010 07:17 PM

They aren't letters. The first one is a musical note, the one in the middle looks like some sort of mathematical symbol, and the last one is a smaller version of the 5 dots.

RE: Lucas and his tattoos - KitKat385 - 20-11-2010 07:23 PM

(20-11-2010 07:17 PM)Annie Wrote:  They aren't letters. The first one is a musical note, the one in the middle looks like some sort of mathematical symbol, and the last one is a smaller version of the 5 dots.

Are you sure? Because they certainly look like Russian letters....just not sure if they even have any meaning. Perhaps they're just sort of there to look nice *shrug*

RE: Lucas and his tattoos - Annie - 20-11-2010 09:59 PM

I'm about 90% sure the first one is a musical note. I've gone through a lot of screen shots (such hard work, but someone's gotta do it... Big Grin), and it seems to be consistantly looking like a double note. The second one I have no idea about, it's just a symbol, but it looks consistant. It's the last one that is puzzling me, because it seems to change. In some pictures it looks like just an X, in some it's almost like a Z, and in one picture - that I'm desperately trying to find - it was clearly the five-on-dice.

You can sort of see it here.

And here it looks like the dots are connected...

[/b]

RE: Lucas and his tattoos - Byatil - 21-11-2010 02:00 PM

(20-11-2010 06:20 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  The most prominent is the William Blake picture, Urizen, on his chest. It depicts God as the architect and it is a reminder to Lucas he may not be able to control or construct his own destiny and that he will always be at the mercy of God.

I love that, what a brilliant tattoo! Makes a lot of sense in terms of his character as well, as he's the man who seeks to control everything around him but never quite manages to be in control. Interesting reference to God - does this mean Lucas is religious?

The 5-dots tattoo has been mentioned earlier in the post, apparently it signifies a man within 4 walls (representing a prison cell).

RE: Lucas and his tattoos - KitKat385 - 21-11-2010 05:52 PM

(21-11-2010 02:00 PM)Byatil Wrote:  I love that, what a brilliant tattoo! Makes a lot of sense in terms of his character as well, as he's the man who seeks to control everything around him but never quite manages to be in control. Interesting reference to God - does this mean Lucas is religious?

It might not necessarily mean he's religious....it could represent his view towards those he sees as God-like, or even that he'll always be at the mercy of his job and those at MI5. If you take it out of a religious context, it could still make sense for Lucas's character, because there hasn't ever been any real behavior or evidence showing him as religious.

(21-11-2010 02:00 PM)Byatil Wrote:  The 5-dots tattoo has been mentioned earlier in the post, apparently it signifies a man within 4 walls (representing a prison cell).

Okay, that makes a lot of sense! Now to just figure out what everything else might mean...

RE: Lucas and his tattoos - Byatil - 23-11-2010 02:04 PM

Ooh, just been watching 7.1, and I ave to say, there is a very telling moment in Harry and Lucas' conversation.

Lucas says something along the lines of "They all have a specific iconography, they all mean something. Fascinating really." after having turned to face Harry, and gives him this... smirk. It's really odd to watch, and it definitely points towards the idea that Lucas wants Harry to realise something from the things Lucas has had tattooed. As he is facing Harry, the "Gnothi Seauton" and Blake tattoos are visible - know thyself, and the tattoo the represents dis-trust of the system. Some kind of subliminal message from Lucas here? Seriously, watch how RA delivers the line, it's really interesting.

RE: Lucas and his tattoos - Belle - 23-11-2010 02:32 PM

ah yes, I've watched 7.1 yesterday evening and I thought that scene was really well played, also.
It did feel like Lucas wanted Harry to feel the pain he had through the tattoos he showed. I'm not sure however if the message came across, they never spoke of it again if I remeber correctly.
I also wonder what was spoken about in that talk Harry said to Lucas, they would have. (Harry said 'we must have a talk when you are back, a proper talk')

RE: Lucas and his tattoos - HellsBells - 23-11-2010 02:33 PM

Yes, I remember that line. I always thought that Lucas was going to say more, perhaps an explanation of their meaning, but then thinks better of it and changes the subject.

RE: Lucas and his tattoos - Byatil - 23-11-2010 03:45 PM

(23-11-2010 02:32 PM)Belle Wrote:  ah yes, I've watched 7.1 yesterday evening and I thought that scene was really well played, also.
It did feel like Lucas wanted Harry to feel the pain he had through the tattoos he showed. I'm not sure however if the message came across, they never spoke of it again if I remeber correctly.
I also wonder what was spoken about in that talk Harry said to Lucas, they would have. (Harry said 'we must have a talk when you are back, a proper talk')

I think that from the look Harry gave Lucas after the iconography was mentioned, it was clear Harry understood the significance of the tattoos, haha. They both seem to avoid talking about it though, I'm assuming neither of them particularly wants to have the awkward conversation about exactly what happened leading up to Lucas' capture, and exactly why Harry never pulled him out sooner. Lucas always seems on the cusp of asking something, but stops himself at the last moment. As someone else pointed out somewhere, after Harry leaves the bathroom, we see Lucas clenching and un-clenching his fists in frustration. A missed opportunity, perhaps?
I was wondering about that chat as well. Was Lucas ever de-briefed? It doesn't seem like he was, unless the writers decided to omit a large chunk of information for some reason Wink

(23-11-2010 02:33 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  Yes, I remember that line. I always thought that Lucas was going to say more, perhaps an explanation of their meaning, but then thinks better of it and changes the subject.

Yeah, I thought that as well. He seems to do it a lot with Harry; always wants to say more but refrains from doing so.