Spooks Forum
The West Wing - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+---- Forum: TV (/forum-32.html)
+---- Thread: The West Wing (/thread-587.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: The West Wing - JHyde - 12-01-2010 06:08 AM

I wasn't crazy about Amy Gardner the first time around, but I enjoyed the character better on rewatching, as I have done many times. I also love Mary Louise Parker as an actress, she's formidable, and currently plays a hateful lead on Weeds. I love Abby, and swing between agreeing with her totally and wanting to slap her around. Stockard Channing's good fun.

My favourite use of music on the show apart from in Two Cathedrals, was the conclusion to the first episode of season 5 as Donna and Josh leave the White House passing the flowers and candles for Zoey. And also in King Corn (Season 6) when they use Ryan Adams' Desire as Josh and Donna go into their separate rooms. It doesn't matter how far they run, that problem is always waiting for them....

I wasn't a Josh/Donna girl though. I always loved CJ and Danny and was delighted they got them together in the end.

RE: The West Wing - Tea Lady - 12-01-2010 10:58 AM

Yes that was her name, Amy....eesh! Didnt she do that whole weird throwing a balloon thing?

I Loved Danny. He was the sort of chap that would never hurt you and would always try to do the right thing by you. He would always be there for CJ.

I loved the couple Donna/Josh but not Josh on his own although he did often provide some classic comic moments. I could never quite understand what Donna saw in him. Perhaps it was the the whole boss/power aphrodisiac to start with. Donna knew he was a pain (trying to find polite word there) but couldnt help her feelings. I guess it just portrays real life in that sometimes you cant help who you fall for and wish it was different. As you said JHyde, in running away you just keep bumping into yourself - hence they had no choice but to get together in the end.

RE: The West Wing - JHyde - 12-01-2010 11:04 AM

I do also love that scene where he says "...and if you think I don't miss you every day....." - that's really beautiful. There was a beautiful symmetry to Toby's storyline and how he left the show, it was such an appropriate end for that character. My favourite scene in the finale is when Bartlet signs his pardon; you can almost hear Toby talking sense into him about various things in the show's history. Actually, I have two fave scenes in the finale. I also love when CJ gives Josh that post-it with "WWLD?" on it. Breaks me every time.

Josh was never someone I'd have been into, but I loved him as a character. I liked the way he bulldozed around the place, he was a wrangler.

Another moment I love that I was watching last week in an episode I'm not crazy about is Sam when CJ asks him who his favourite writer is and he initially answers "Toby". That's so Sam.

RE: The West Wing - Tea Lady - 12-01-2010 11:19 AM

Yes it's not just the words Josh speaks it's the way he says them. His voice is so shaky and emotional. Donna has to look away from him after that.

Bartlet was so hurt by what Toby did. I wonder though was he totally surprised? It had been coming for years.

WWLD - What would Leo do? ........you could not get better words of advice.

RE: The West Wing - JHyde - 12-01-2010 11:57 AM

I miss John Spencer's smile. Such an elegant, subtle, team playing actor.

RE: The West Wing - Tea Lady - 12-01-2010 12:17 PM

[attachment=130]

There you go JHyde. A sort of smile anyway.

RE: The West Wing - Silktie - 12-01-2010 03:59 PM

Awww, I love Leo, and John Spencer! He was really wonderful in the episode where Leo had to appear before the House Committee about the MS thing.

RE: The West Wing - JHyde - 12-01-2010 05:42 PM

That was one of the episodes that helped win him his Emmy.

One of my favourite John Spencer performances was in an episode I *adore* from Season Five called Full Disclosure. It's the episode where you find out about CJ's history with Hoynes. He has a few small moments in that so subtle, blink and you'll miss them, but they're exquisite. It's one of the things I love about Schiff as an actor too, he really works around the actors he's with in a scene, without ever compromising his own quality as an actor.

RE: The West Wing - Silktie - 13-01-2010 05:38 AM

Yep, that's true. Very much like our lovely Mr Firth.

JHyde, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about loving that episode? I thought it was a bit weird and out of character for CJ to have had a fling with Hoynes. I didn't like that part of the episode at all.

RE: The West Wing - JHyde - 13-01-2010 07:12 AM

I wasn't. I loved that episode. I think it added a wonderful layer to CJ. Good people make terrible mistakes sometimes and it was actually a very suitable mistake for her to make, in character, I mean. And I loved how she put it to Toby, about wanting to take back the moment in which she started it with him. It wasn't a full blown affair, it was a one night stand, and reprehensible though it was, I can understand why she might have fallen into it.