Spooks Forum
Met anyone famous? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: Met anyone famous? (/thread-632.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Met anyone famous? - bertowud - 02-04-2010 06:24 PM

And don't forget Appel.

RE: Met anyone famous? - Beatriz - 02-04-2010 06:43 PM

(02-04-2010 06:20 PM)Lukyan Lyubof Wrote:  One of my best friends is closely related to Chris Martin from Coldplay and thus Gwyneth Paltrow
WOW, Chris Martin!!! I was close to him.... but it was a concert.... Tongue

RE: Met anyone famous? - CONDOR - 18-04-2010 04:00 PM

I met Sir Robin Knox Johnson at a talk he was giving, went to get my book signed , and went com[letely to jelly, couldn't think of anything intelligent to say at all.....

RE: Met anyone famous? - JHyde - 18-04-2010 04:10 PM

I stand by my original assertion that I wouldn't really want to meet anyone I really admired. A) I'd be terrified of what to say and making a goat of myself (this is not an uncommon occurrence, nor are drugs or alcohol involved [most of the time]) and B) it's embarrassing for them too I reckon. I mean how does the conversation go?

"Oh, I'm such a fan! I loved you in [insert name of whatever here]/am crazy about your books and music and sex life. Is so and so really as nice as they seem?/do you have future plans for releasing a sequel?/what were you thinking about when you filmed that scene you're really famous for?/wrote such and such a bit or song?"

'Why thankyou!/Rack off. I'm glad you like them. No/yes/we're just friends/no/yes/peeing in the ocean".

P.S. - None of the above happened when I met Wolverine. That was a work thing and strictly professional. Mostly.

RE: Met anyone famous? - RoninExec - 18-04-2010 04:21 PM

Well, you can just tell them they are doing a helluva good job... Praise doesn't hurt and if you are in front of someone who's approachable and doesn't think of him/herself as "God", you might trigger a return question in the likes of "and what did you like most about my work?".

Then a decent conversation may actually take place!Yahoo

RE: Met anyone famous? - Beatriz - 18-04-2010 10:00 PM

I know what you mean, it's terribly embarrasing...

*sigh* Hugh! *sigh*

RE: Met anyone famous? - Skully - 19-04-2010 02:34 AM

(18-04-2010 04:10 PM)JHyde Wrote:  I stand by my original assertion that I wouldn't really want to meet anyone I really admired.

I'm with JHyde, I'm not overly keen on meeting folks that I really admire. What if they didn't meet your high expectations? It would be such a let down! Apart from that I just don't have a desire to meet them. I'm happy to admire from afar. Most of the famous people that I've "met" has been via email (for work/professional reasons). So I can have a little buzz (or squee, depending on the person! [...ergh, I used the word 'squee']) in the privacy of my office, and then correspond without saying anything too embarrassing.

RE: Met anyone famous? - Jhokur - 19-04-2010 02:49 AM

Could have sworn I posted in here.. ran into Robin Williams twice in SF, met Wil Wheaton when he worked for NewTek. Can't think of others, as they were at comic / scifi cons.

RE: Met anyone famous? - bertowud - 19-04-2010 03:52 AM

Jhokur, you might appreciate this, I've met Warren Ellis (the writer not the musician) twice now. I've also been quoted on Neil Gaiman's blog before.

RE: Met anyone famous? - Jhokur - 20-04-2010 04:20 AM

Sweet!! A co-worker turned me onto Neverwhere, and very much enjoyed MirrorMask. Need to check out Stardust as well.