Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back (/thread-685.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Mallarme - 17-05-2010 07:40 PM

(17-05-2010 07:33 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  
(17-05-2010 07:23 PM)watchstrap Wrote:  I don't know if I am the only forum member old enough to remember the excellent US series Hill St Blues? They had a similar relationship going on in the background between the police chief and the legal, DA lady (Frank and Joyce I think!) and it really worked and still left room for loads of action, shooting and death LOL!

Go for it KUDOS Break that mould! Thhug

Ha ha, I do sort of remember them. My parents always watched it. I remember that they had a professional relationship at work and that you didnt really know they were a couple until you saw them in the scenes at home, if I remember rightly. That's the way to do it. They were I guess the main couple in the show, but it wasnt shoved in your face, you just saw the odd scene of them at home. I am thinking back about 25 years here though !!

I remember HSBlues being on TV but didn't watch it I'm afraid Confused
But your descriptions of it reminds me a lot of the Grissom and Sara relationship in CSI actually.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Aria - 17-05-2010 07:56 PM

I was a big fan of CSI when William Peterson and Jorja Fox were regulars and I felt a bit cheated when they got together offscreen, but it may be the way to go for Harry and Ruth. The writers know that there is a big element of the viewing audience invested in that relationship, but they don't want to alienate others who couldn't care less and new viewers who don't have the emotional connection of 4 and a half years of H/R.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Beatriz - 17-05-2010 10:35 PM

I'm in denial, hahaha We need this new series to begin!! I think we will be nuts speculating and not knowing what happens!! I get that some viewers don't have that connection from previous series, but they SHOULD reward people who watch it from the beginning!!! Tongue

Ok, I must say something coherent: they wouldn't have taken all the trouble to get Ruth back if they weren't to do something with HR relationship, something meaningful, not just get them together without a back-up story... I may be totally wrong but is the way I see it...

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - JHyde - 18-05-2010 04:02 AM

(17-05-2010 06:38 PM)yorkshiretyke Wrote:  I think the series may start with them being together (poss living together) then there is no need for big declaration, just the occasional fallout over work!!

I would like this very much. I always liked that we didn't see the nitty gritty of Ros and Adam ending up in bed together (although we did see RPJ's arse). Then again, I think the two sets of people are very different.

But I'm not a fan of the constantly trying to get Harry and Ruth together. I just want something easy and gentle, because they have done the big trauma thing to rip them apart. Twice.

I notice we've come around in a very big circle again. But that's just the game we play between seasons and at least we have some new people playing with us this time!

By the way Bea, I really like what you said.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - yorkshiretyke - 18-05-2010 06:46 AM

You lot have got me hooked!!...I am only suppose to look at the forum on a weekend, due to heavy workload.

Back to HR....My favourite series is 7, lots of Harry action and no Ruth, HOWEVER, now Ruth is back I love their interaction and would love to see it move on, only problem could be that it is just the actors that are playing it out. Nicola and Peter have both said how they create the tension...the looks, the hand touch in 8.7 could all be off script....so if no romance is scripted, we could have another 8 episodes of looks and touches!

must work!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Elphie - 18-05-2010 01:09 PM

I think its about time that HR get it together because I personally think that they have dragged the story line out to much. I think that its fate that HR should be together so I think fate should hurry up and put them together

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - JHyde - 18-05-2010 01:28 PM

It's funny you call it fate, Elphie, because I was thinking just today that one of the things I don't like about Spooks is that for all intents and purposes without a showrunner. I mean, who do we actually direct these pleas to? The executive producers have changed about on Spooks quite a bit and one of the things I do think American shows get right is having someone who can look after the show from season to season. (The creator of Spooks left in season 3.)

Then again, Spooks is heading into its ninth year. That's a long time. But it is no longer the prime racehorse in Kudos' stable.

I think going a season without resolving the HR storyline is fine after what happened in 8.1. But going another would be silly, I agree.

I'm not sure they can 'hurry up' too much though. They're still filming! It's not Spooks is a show with 24 episodes a season, it takes a long time to come around again so it feels like longer to us.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Tea Lady - 18-05-2010 01:31 PM

(18-05-2010 01:09 PM)Elphie Wrote:  I think its about time that HR get it together because I personally think that they have dragged the story line out to much. I think that its fate that HR should be together so I think fate should hurry up and put them together

I quite agree that dragging it out for another series will be too painful. The fans deserve more than that.
p.s. Is that an Avatar of Juliet Shaw Elphie?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Elphie - 18-05-2010 01:35 PM

(18-05-2010 01:31 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  
(18-05-2010 01:09 PM)Elphie Wrote:  I think its about time that HR get it together because I personally think that they have dragged the story line out to much. I think that its fate that HR should be together so I think fate should hurry up and put them together

I quite agree that dragging it out for another series will be too painful. The fans deserve more than that.
p.s. Is that an Avatar of Juliet Shaw Elphie?

No its idina menzel playing elphaba on broadway but i agree it does look quite like her actually. thanks for pointing it outSmile

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Silktie - 18-05-2010 04:20 PM

(18-05-2010 06:46 AM)yorkshiretyke Wrote:  Back to HR....My favourite series is 7, lots of Harry action and no Ruth, HOWEVER, now Ruth is back I love their interaction and would love to see it move on, only problem could be that it is just the actors that are playing it out. Nicola and Peter have both said how they create the tension...the looks, the hand touch in 8.7 could all be off script....so if no romance is scripted, we could have another 8 episodes of looks and touches!

I think that the producers could have edited out stuff like the hand caress in 8.7 if they didn't plan on going anywhere with HR, though, so I'm taking it as a sign that there is intent to move the relationship forward.

I tend to fall in the camp which believes we'll probably not see how they get together on screen, instead just get some hints that they are in fact dating each other (love the idea of seeing them in bed together reading the papers - very HR, I think). But that could actually be a good thing - look what happened last time they made a big deal of HR...

I would be seriously disappointed though if we don't get to see them showing each other some more overt affection - a hug or a little kiss at least.