Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back (/thread-685.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - lwhite53 - 23-05-2010 10:31 PM

(23-05-2010 07:46 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  It is really the first overt sign for me that Ruth has feelings for Harry that go beyond friendship.

Yep, I'd definitely agree with that. With the "pacing" comments, Ruth pretty much admits that she's been watching him enough to know that he paces a lot and he seems to be very pleased that she does, as we see the first of the shy/sly smiles that he reserves for her. Also love that she wrong foots him so well in the interview scenes -- had it been anyone else, they wouldn't have gotten away unscathed. And she really questions his moral code with "Is there any line we don't cross?" --she forces him to think about what he's prepared to do and to justify it. H's laugh at the end of the ep is priceless -- more Peter Firth-ish than Sir Harry, methinks!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - A Cousin - 24-05-2010 02:39 PM

While "the pacing scene" is an inkling of whats to come, I still don't think either of them have really mentally internalized that they are starting to move on from trust, respect and admiration. I think Ruth is a bit surprised at her own reaction to the idea of Harry leaving. His reaction for me is more "Isn't that flattering?" in nature with a bit of an acknowledgment that he won that round. It does speak volumes about the depth of his trust in her to ask her to help him blow the interview. If the audio commentary is anything to go by, 3.9 is the episode that the writers/directors get fully on board with the idea, though.

I used to think that Ruth came to it first, but am not so certain about that now. I am also not so certain that there is a magic moment of realization for either of them. It is very gradual.

Am I right in thinking that this is one of only two times Harry laughs out loud? Maybe it is a bit more PF than HP, but it is lovely to listen to none the less!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Beatriz - 24-05-2010 06:05 PM

I agree that he trusts her more and more. I think they both realised in this episode that they feel something special about the other when they find themselves saying those nice things and flirting a bit.

Regarding who came first, I used to think the other way round, Harry first... I think it's a hard thing to tell as it was a gradual thing. I say Harry because when Ruth has this thing with John Fortescue, I think he is a bit jealous Tongue

Yeah, the first one (when Harry laughs out loud) was Ruth's first day in the Grid when he made that joke Big Grin

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - JHyde - 24-05-2010 06:07 PM

I like to think that when they both realised how they felt about each other, they looked back and thought yeah, that was one of the days that mattered.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - A Cousin - 24-05-2010 06:58 PM

(24-05-2010 06:05 PM)Beatriz Wrote:  I agree that he trusts her more and more.

And he tests her - sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. The Fortescue Incident is one of those tests. I am not sure he is jealous, but more interested than may be appropriate and not sure or willing or able to see why. Of course, she comes through with flying colors because she is brilliant but also for reasons that I don't think are consciously acknowledged to either of them.

JHyde - I like that idea: 20/20 hindsight. I think they are both either too stunted to make the full connection until it is too late. The show talks a lot about keeping their personal out of their professional. When that overlaps in their profession, it can be very disconcerting and sometimes even dangerous. Rather than a series of moments in which they gradually realize whats happening, it is more like a series of moments with which they are smacked over the head with an anvil and don't know how to react because its so foreign and out of the work context.

Sorry to think aloud.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Silktie - 06-06-2010 03:27 PM

I thought that whilst 3.9 probably is the start of something more than friendship between Harry and Ruth, 3.10 and 4.1 definitely shows that Harry is more solicitous of Ruth and her feelings than of anyone else's. In 3.10, he feels the need to explain to her why they have to fight on after Danny is shot, also acknowledging that he doesn't like the fact that they can't just stop everything and grieve, perhaps showing more of the man behind the boss in that one explanation than he would to others. He also tells her he needs her, which is something he repeats in 4.1 when she doesn't want to leave the funeral. And in both episodes it seems to be that plea from Harry which persuades her to get on with the job at hand.

I also thought Harry showed a lot of concern towards Ruth when she was standing with Danny's body - he was looking at her the whole time, checking that she was holding up allright, and then in 4.1 he actually takes her to the funeral with him in the car, opens the door for her and sits next to her in the church. He's also the first one that notices she's still in the church and going back to get her. He seems very protective of her in these three episodes.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Aria - 06-06-2010 04:02 PM

I also thought that 3.9 is when we see Ruth slowly realising that she feels more than friendship for Harry. Harry is very obvious in his concern for Ruth in 3.10 and I think Tea Lady commented in the rewatch thread, that he seemed more aware of Ruth and her reactions than of Danny's body. I loved Ruth reminding Harry of his assertion that there would be time to grieve later. It does seem apparent that Harry is very aware of Ruth.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Tea Lady - 06-06-2010 11:00 PM

Yes the funeral scene contains quite a few special moments for Harry and Ruth and they are all quite simple. The car lift, the car door opening, H and R standing next to each other in the church. I also like the bit, where if you blinked you would miss it, where Harry is trying to sing, but his attention is drawn to Ruth, but looks away quickly when she notices. The way he says "I need you" as well. Yes he is in a church, but he says it so softly that you can hardly hear him.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - A Cousin - 07-06-2010 12:05 AM

I know I risk life and limb saying this, Angel but I find Harry a little glib and patronizing in the church scene. First, after Ruth reminds him that he said that there would be time to grieve later, his response of "Yes, well, there will be a lot of people doing that tonight" is a bit glib. And putting her on the spot with the "I need you" was rather insensitive of him. Of course, he's right, she has to put others first, him and the city, but what choice does she have? Then he uses her like his personal assistant when they get back to the grid. I think it is intentional and fuels her comment about being used to being patronized later with the professor.

I also have slightly different take on the moment in the church during the hymn. I have always seen it as he being uncomfortable because he doesn't seem to know the hymn that is being sung. Ruth does seem to notice that he is floundering with it and he catches that.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - JHyde - 07-06-2010 01:26 AM

I can see why you'd think that, A Cousin. It's possible Harry was overstating things when he phrased it as 'I need you'. But I do think that he didn't just go back in to pull Ruth out because he needed her for work. He could have sent someone else in to get her, but he chose to go in himself.

Season 4 was apparently when the writers got on board with the idea of Harry and Ruth and this was sort of their starting point, I think.