Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back (/thread-685.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Silktie - 13-06-2010 05:46 PM

Just got my season 5 DVDs Yahoo and watched the extras today. PF has some lovely things to say about what Ruth meant to Harry. He says Ruth appeared at a time when Harry was searching for guidance in his life, and that she gave Harry "a reason to be". Awww Heart. And of course he says that Harry misses Ruth very much, but that he hasn't given up hope and is keeping the candle burning for her.

It's nice that the actors are also fans of Harry and Ruth. (Well, okay, this is kind of obvious seeing that they basically created the whole thing out of nothing...)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Beatriz - 13-06-2010 09:01 PM

That's so sweet... I agree with PF, I think he lacked of that part in his life, and I don't think he was aware of that or at least he thought he didn't need it, until Ruth came along... Smile

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - JHyde - 14-06-2010 05:42 AM

I love what MR says about Harry without Ruth - that he's been a bit grumpy! But you can tell MR and NW were good buddies anyway, sharing their dressing room.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Silktie - 21-06-2010 12:24 PM

I meant to post this here instead of the Harry thread, sorry!

(21-06-2010 06:36 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Wanted to comment on the Harry and Ruth scenes in 4.3. Harry seemed to have given up trying to hide his interest in Ruth in this episode. Whenever they're in a scene together, he gazes at her adoringly, and he's doling out compliments and telling her how much he trusts her at every opportunity. Oh, Harry, you really have it bad, don't you?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - lwhite53 - 21-06-2010 01:20 PM

Yeah, Silktie, I agree. It was like between 4.2 and 4.3, he'd given himself permission to be overt. He's in close proximity to her everytime they're in the same shot and he does spend a lot of time looking at her.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Beatriz - 21-06-2010 05:55 PM

I've noticed that too, this is the second time I watch the series and the first time I didn't notice all these looks and not only his looks, but his face also says a lot, everytime Harry looks at Ruth I can't help it... I smile Smile I like that she doesn't notice those looks, or perhaps she pretends not to... It's endearing Big Grin

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - A Cousin - 21-06-2010 09:24 PM

I missed it all the first time around. It wasn't until the second time around that I kept saying, How did I miss that?!? I think my meager brain was just trying to keep up with the plot and language.

I am not so sure that either one them has given themselves permission yet, just that it is just sort of coming out. Ruth looks confused more often than not.

And another question, I noticed that in 4.3 Ruth finishes Harry's sentence. Is this the first time?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Naivety - 04-07-2010 10:27 PM

Spoiler: show
I keep hoping that Ruth will have to comfort Harry when he gets back to the grid after the bomb blast that happened at the end of Series 8

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Silktie - 05-07-2010 06:34 AM

(04-07-2010 10:27 PM)Naivety Wrote:  
Spoiler: show
I keep hoping that Ruth will have to comfort Harry when he gets back to the grid after the bomb blast that happened at the end of Series 8

Heh, me too. I keep wishing anyone would give poor old Harry a hug. Of course if it were Ruth, that would be so much better.

Ruth has offered Harry comfort before though, but he always seems unwilling to accept it. The roof scene in 8.8 is a good example. We also see it in 4.5, when she offers to be there for him after Clive dies, but he declines to take up the offer. I wonder why he does that? Is he afraid to show any weakness in front of Ruth? Or is he worried that he is reading more into her gestures than she means by them, and does not want to make a fool of himself? Maybe it's just a basic inability to open up, one of those limitations he so often refers to.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - JHyde - 05-07-2010 07:05 AM

I think it's the latter. I think it's also because Harry's mind is ticking over - at that point in the episode, he truly has no idea what's going on and I think he wants time and space to reflect. Harry's not one to let people watch him wallow in grief anyway and we know from Harry's Diary that Clive was very important to him. Clive was to Harry what Harry is to Adam or Ros, a boss with a truly personal connection and friendship, although I don't think either man would admit to it.

You're right though - there have been many instances in which Ruth offers support to Harry and he knocks it back. The only times I can remember it being reversed are possibly 3.10 (right at the very end), 4.10 (when he tells her how well she did) and 8.7, with Ashok.