Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back (/thread-685.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Aria - 05-07-2010 07:10 AM

(05-07-2010 06:34 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Ruth has offered Harry comfort before though, but he always seems unwilling to accept it. The roof scene in 8.8 is a good example. We also see it in 4.5, when she offers to be there for him after Clive dies, but he declines to take up the offer. I wonder why he does that? Is he afraid to show any weakness in front of Ruth? Or is he worried that he is reading more into her gestures than she means by them, and does not want to make a fool of himself? Maybe it's just a basic inability to open up, one of those limitations he so often refers to.

That's a good question, Silktie. I think his mantra of self-control and self-denial has become so engrained that he has real difficulty in opening up to anyone on a personal level. The nature of his job must have made it impossible for him to be open with Jane, his ex-wife and maybe Ruth is getting some of that behaviour.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Kazters - 05-07-2010 11:11 AM

i think harry/ruth ios a complicated one! i think any one who has a relationship within section D will struggle! with the exseption of fiona and adam because they were married. dosent ros tell adam somethin about the nature of there work it wouldnt work out! perhaps its the same for harry and ruth!

they both reject the other at times and they regret it even before they have done it! talk abotu a will they wont they! but i love how the finish each others sentenses and always know what the other needs!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - SPOOK91 - 05-07-2010 11:18 AM

I think perhaps Harry doesn't want to seem needy or weak towards Ruth, indeed when Adam died he was the one who turned up on Ros' doorstep, perhaps he had made himself think he was doing it for her sake; to check she was ok. with Ruth he doesn't seem to be able to show this weakness however.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Kazters - 05-07-2010 01:01 PM

i think the difference with ros compared to Rutgh though is that she wont say if she is having a problem! he was aware of there relationship and how she felt about adam, and they both needed confort wether the liked it or not!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Tea Lady - 05-07-2010 02:09 PM

I kind of agree with Silktie and JHyde here. I think Harry rejects Ruth's advances because Harry tells himself that she is only offering friendship. Not that there is anything wrong with friendship but I believe Harry does not want that. Not from Ruth anyway. He does not want to take advantage of Ruth in anyway as he respects her too much, so he doesnt want to have romantic feelings from her touching him or going for a drink with her, when he doesnt think, that is Ruth's intention.

Or maybe he just believes that someone like Ruth would never go for someone like Harry. I think Harry was totally confused at the end of S8. Was Ruth offering just friendship? The way Harry shoved his right hand in his pocket in 8.8 really seemed to show that he didn't want her touching his skin again like she did in 8.7 when she touched his hand, not when she was possibly doing it in a chaste way.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - arctic - 05-07-2010 03:09 PM

Maybe the idea was that he put his hand in his pocket to prevent himself from reaching out and taking her hand. The look he gave her at the end of that scene was certainly steamy.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - SPOOK91 - 05-07-2010 03:34 PM

Good old Ruth though with the arm fondle, she is certainally the more definate and confident one of the pair now. i agree that the hand in the pocket was him trying to salvage some self respect and trying to get back to his own self control/denial mantra.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Tea Lady - 05-07-2010 03:50 PM

(05-07-2010 03:34 PM)SPOOK91 Wrote:  Good old Ruth though with the arm fondle,

Those words have just made me LOL.

Yes I agree that Ruth is the more confident one now and considering she had just been shot at, seemed more in control than Harry, who was starting to lose it a bit.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - SPOOK91 - 05-07-2010 03:59 PM

So much has happened to Harry in what I would assume is about the period of about a year; suspected of being a mole and thus tortured, then Mani and Ruth returning, Adam died early series 7 also.He's had a hard few series.I think he may well be losing it, perhaps Ruth sees this a little, as well as wanting to make things better between them.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Kazters - 05-07-2010 04:29 PM

i cant really say after where i have seen up to but i think he looks at connie and wishes she was ruth