Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back (/thread-685.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - lwhite53 - 28-09-2010 04:18 AM

(27-09-2010 10:07 PM)Aria Wrote:  
(27-09-2010 09:53 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Ok, what was that phone scene really about? Was it just nothing? Was it thrown in to only help the Beth storyline along? Or was it to give us shippers, some glimmer of hope for the future? I'm not sure.

I am afraid that Ruth has got to leave Harry alone now.

Even though I liked the scene, I thought that it seemed unnecessary plotwise and agree it might have been added to give us H/R fans hope. I loved the way Harry asked her if there was "anything else", he seemed to convey such hope and desperation. I agree that Ruth needs to leave Harry alone, she can't keep stringing him along!

I think the point of the scene was to let Beth know that Ruth was going to discover info that Beth didn't want her to know and that she needed to take care of it. That said, the way the scene was written and played seems to me to be just a sop to H/R shippers.

Also agreed that R needs to leave H alone. It's almost gotten to the point of parody, now.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Silktie - 28-09-2010 06:00 AM

I agree it was a strange scene. I'm glad, though, that Harry told her they should keep things to work, as she now knows very clearly where they stand with each other. I'm with TL in that she was really calling just to hear his voice, and the work was just an excuse. I think it's good that Harry, at least, is attempting to define the relationship more clearly, otherwise they'd be lost in a fog of uncertainty forever. But yes, Ruth can't have it both ways, and Harry - depressed as he is about his job - is really in no position to handle mixed signals from her.

I do feel a bit sorry for Ruth as well. I don't think she is nearly as certain about what she wants as she appeared to be during that scene on the roof last week. She seemed rather sad once that weird phone call was over, so maybe she is beginning to wonder if she made the right choice after all?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Jhokur - 28-09-2010 06:11 AM

In the RA interview, I found
Series 9 Spoiler: show
Is it Keeley Hawes?

No, they're saving her I reckon. It's not her.
to be quite interesting. My guess is
Series 9 Spoiler: show
it is indeed Malcolm, being that he was on the show longest next to Harry

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - A Cousin - 28-09-2010 05:01 PM

I kind of liked the phone scene between H&R but found the scene a bit clunky from a plot and writing standpoint. It just felt just a tisch forced into place to me. Not the acting, but the reason for it to be there plot-wise, e.g. for Beth to over hear Ruth and get her fingerprint. It was a bit out of character for me for Ruth to impart that kind of info to Harry no matter how much she just wanted to hear his voice or keep the status quo of after hours working or had too much to drink. That was one Big Mo-Fo glass of wine, but it wasn't THAT big! Smile That glass was that big for an optimum camera angle so you could see it in the shot with Ruth on the phone and for the shot through it when Beth came back to get the fingerprint. I guess you could argue that Beth should be someone Ruth should trust, but I don't think she does. She is holding everyone, including herself, at arms length.

As for the HR portion of it, I think this is a really good example of someone (Ruth) making a decision that she may be realizing that she can't live with. She wants the non-relationship to stay the same (for her own reasons that I can empathize with but I know others can't.) and Harry isn't letting that happen. Her calling him after hours, at least in my book, would not have been unusual in the past, but after 9.1, now that they know they care for each other, the relationship has been redefined. She can't have it stay the same (which is no good for him), but he can't have it without it changing (which is no good for her). The question is, is her unwillingness to have it change going to screw it up completely? Is he the kind of guy to ask twice? No matter who you agree with more, Harry or Ruth, its great stuff!

Is it over? I don't think so. Where will it go? I don't know. Will Ruth leave him alone? I doubt it. Oh yeah...they will string us along again but all in the name of examining the sacrifices they have to make in their personal relationships. I'm willing to go along for the ride.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - lwhite53 - 28-09-2010 06:20 PM

The thing that irks me about these little interim H/R scenes that aren't wholly justified by the plot is that they're moving the relationship towards soap opera. Given the acting chops of PF and NW, they really shouldn't have to put up with this kind of tawdry crap. Either write good, meaty emotional scenes for them or leave that part of their story out of the ep.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Naivety - 28-09-2010 07:02 PM

I should really rewatch the clip first before commenting, but

Series 9.3 Spoiler: show
on first appearances it looks as though next week we may have them getting angry with each other. Relationships can do that. As they both get increasingly get frustrated with each other they may start lashing out.

I hope not, I really do, but it may enable the writers to move on with the story and make it more fiery.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Tea Lady - 28-09-2010 07:56 PM

(28-09-2010 07:02 PM)Naivety Wrote:  I should really rewatch the clip first before commenting, but

Series 9.3 Spoiler: show
on first appearances it looks as though next week we may have them getting angry with each other. Relationships can do that. As they both get increasingly get frustrated with each other they may start lashing out.

I hope not, I really do, but it may enable the writers to move on with the story and make it more fiery.

Series 9.3 trailer Spoiler: show
Yes, it certainly appears that they are starting to get at each other a little. I think that is a natural progression for Harry certainly, as the frustration mounts. Heaven knows how he can keep working in the same department as her.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - yorkshiretyke - 28-09-2010 08:00 PM

found these stills of episode 3, you can feel the tension!
http://img4.imageshack.us/i/harryandruth93preview.jpg/
http://img43.imageshack.us/i/harryandruth93preview2j.jpg/

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - SPOOK91 - 28-09-2010 08:40 PM

Series 9 episode 2 and 3 Spoiler: show
Personally I think that a little bit of tension is fair enough and a good idea. I think that there could well be a big argument at some point between them. In fact I would go as far to say that it would probably be better for them in the long run to get a bit mad at each other. Harry looked heartbroken whilst talking to her on the phone, and yet so hopeful but I do think that she hesitated quite substantially when he asked if there was anything else. I hadn't seen the episode until tonight but had read about the scene and a few people have been disappointed which is fair enough considering we were discussing there perhaps actually being something more than work discussed, but I think that it was well played and that the scene really worked in that it shown us that there is still quite obviously something there still between them.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Beatriz - 28-09-2010 09:50 PM

I seem to get the scenes the other way round that you do Tongue Maybe Ruth wanted to hear Harry's voice... I dunno, but I was pretty certain that she only called to talk about work, and when she heard "anything else?" I think she wanted to say something but she didn't do it because Beth could overhear her...

Last week I was hopeful this week I'm sad... A tear came to my eye while watching this scene. I'm not saying Ruth isn't suffering but poor Harry... I wanted to hug him, he needs it.

Could anyone tell me what did they say to each other in the trailer for the next episode I couldn't understand it? Thank you. (No, I don't want to test your spoiler policy knowledge, there were no subtitles available).